DJ Setup for multi room party

• 28 May 2018
  • 1 reply

I have an upcoming party with a couple of DJ's. We intend to use a Pioneer DDJ system with RCA output. The DDJ does not have optical out.

I plan to connect the Pioneer DDJ to my LG TV (via AV/RCA cables) then group the playbar with the rest of the speakers in a single zone.

Are there any issues with this?

Am I correct in thinking there will be a 70ms delay between the playbar and the rest of the speakers?

If this is the case perhaps the issue will be tollerable based on different physical rooms being out of sync, or alternatively I could simply turn down the play bar and turn everything else up.. I have 15 other SONOS speakers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, woodblair. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. While the players have great sound, the problems come in with the need for beatmatching and the wireless environment. Also, it depends on the version of the DDJ controller you are using.

If you really want to DJ a party on Sonos, the DJ's will need to be isolated from the rest of the party - mixing through Booth Monitors in a "Control Room" while the Sonos player is being fed the Master Out and is responsible for distributing that to the rest of the Sonos system. In theory, Sonos will mitigate any delay needed and keep the Sonos players in sync. However, we then run into another problem...

Playing Line-In audio across a 15 player system will require a very clean wireless environment. In a house with lots of bodies and cellular/WiFi devices during a party, I can see the wireless environment being a bit dicey.

All in all, Sonos isn't the best when it comes to a house-wide PA system. Believe me, I've tried. In my case, I made the living room the dance floor with my own speakers run from the mixer (KRK Rokits) and in-turn, use the Sonos Connect as an input to the DJM-850. This way, if I'm feeling creative while mixing, I can pull YouTube clips (on my PC wired to the Connect's Line-In) as live samples to throw over a groove. 🆒