DIsabling WI-FI on playbar 5.1 setup

• 27 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
Hello there,

I am aware Sonos doesn't recommend disabling the speakers' wi-fi, nevertheless part of my flat's setup has it disabled.

So here goes my question:

I'm considering disabling also the wi-fi on my 5.1 setup (playbar + 2xplay1 + sub)
I tried hard-wiring only the playbar and disabling its wifi but then the play1s and the sub wont create the 5.1 environment.
Will it work if I hard-wire all of them and disable their wi-fi?
Would like to know before I buy the needed extra-loooong ethernet cables.

Thanks in advance

(excuse my shitty english)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi

Not sure what you mean by disable the Wi-Fi - Do you mean remove the Wi-Fi credentials from the Sonos App? Sonos uses 2.4Ghtz Wi-Fi for connecting Players to the internet and 5Ghtz for communication between players. This 5Ghtz connection is within the Sonos device and is set-up in the app. If you have any one of your devices connected via an Ethernet cable, you are in Boost set-up and should remove any Wi-Fi details from the Sonos app. Your Sonos devices will now create a nest Wi-Fi signal between all of your other Sonos devices.

Hope that answers your question but please let us know.
[...] (excuse my shitty english)
Why didn't you ask the question on the German board then? Yes, you can disable the Wifi card on all of your Sonos units, but you need to hardwire all of them beforehand; and it's strongly recommended to NOT disable the Wifi.
Badge
[...] (excuse my shitty english)
Why didn't you ask the question on the German board then? Yes, you can disable the Wifi card on all of your Sonos units, but you need to hardwire all of them beforehand; and it's strongly recommended to NOT disable the Wifi.

Because I am not german, nevertheless it is not your business where I decide to post or not as long as you can understand me as I can see you did.

Regarding my issue, wanted to tell you that I decided to take the risk and hard-wired ALL my 10+ sonos units, playbar and 5.1 included and disabled also the wifi on all of them. Now the system is just perfect, faster, reliable and more stable than ever.

Thanks
I am a non-native English speaker too, that's why I asked. I didn't mean to be rude.
Badge
Sorry, I got it wrong then.