Answered

different rooms on same network.

• 6 October 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi,

If anyone can help solve this dilemma it would be much appreciated.

I have 2 SONOS 3's in my living room on a 2.4 network.

At the end of my garden, i have an outhouse for work. There is a hard wired data cable running from the. house SKY router into the outhouse. I have a D-Link AC1200 Wi-Fi Router in the outhouse as an extender and have the same networks as in the house available, both 2.4 and 5ghz.

In the outhouse i have 2 SONOS 1's, but i cannot get them to group with the SONOS 3's in the house. They jump inot my app depending on where i am, house or outhouse but i cannot play the same music in both. I assume i have to get an ethernet splitter but want the SONOS to be wireless so don't relaly see why i can get the D-Link to work as one with the SKY router. I'm way out my depth but have tried to go into the system settings.

Does anyone have any ideas per chance?

Much appreciated.

icon

Best answer by John B 6 October 2020, 19:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You need to set up the router in the outhouse in 'bridge ' or 'access point' mode. You will need to consult the manual for the specifics.

This assumes you haven't set the Sonos up as two separate systems. 

Thanks John, speedy response sir! 

Apparently i cannot do that with the router i have, D-Link DIR-842. Nothing in the manual and google search says i should return it but it is out of return timeframe. Standard school boy error i guess from my side. 

Just thought it would be alot easier than the 3 days i have spent trying to sort this out! 

Thanks 

An access point can be bought pretty cheaply.

Any router can be used as an access point, whether or not it has an explicit bridge mode.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-an-old-wi-fi-router-into-an-access-point/

Thanks Ratty, 

Have just been reading this and seems on point. So if i do that, i then need to connect my outhouse SONOS with th eethernet cable to get the rooms to group, and then if i mount to the wireless network, i should be able to continue to use the group? 

Apologise for the q’s here, but not my forte at all. 

Cheers 

No. The outhouse router (configured as an AP) is connected to the Ethernet cable from the main router.

This will enable the speakers in the outhouse and in main house to function as one system. 

What you then group is a matter of choice. 

I don't know what you mean by 'mount to the wireless network'.

Thanks all for this help - up and running seamlessly now after switching the modem to AP.