Skip to main content

Hi

I am facing strange issue with DHCP. In my network i have two piholes running as DNS and DHCP server. All clients seems to be ok with this setup except sonos devices (arc, sub and 2 ikeas symfonisk)

Devices simply refuses to accept offered ip address. Here is the example of communication

Sep 28 23:04:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[957]: DHCPDISCOVER(eth0) 54:2a:1b:65:67:14 Sep 28 23:04:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[957]: DHCPOFFER(eth0) 192.168.2.31 54:2a:1b:65:67:14 Sep 28 23:04:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[957]: DHCPREQUEST(eth0) 192.168.2.31 54:2a:1b:65:67:14 Sep 28 23:04:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[957]: DHCPNAK(eth0) 192.168.2.31 54:2a:1b:65:67:14 wrong server-ID

If i disable one of those DHCP server everything works as expected.

DHCP servers have the same static leases and of course dynamic ip ranges does not overlap.

I think that for some reason sonos device doesnt expect to get 2 ip offers at the same time and replies with “wrong server-id”

Can you please let me know if this is something that can be fixed.

Thanks & Regards

Michal

@simo87 

It seems you have already found your own solution by just having the one DHCP server - I’m guessing two are not currently supported by Sonos, even if they are each handling a different (non-overlapping) range of network addresses within the same subnet, but perhaps speak to Sonos Support to check that is the case and if necessary, see if they will forward it as a ‘requested feature’ - although I’ve not personally seen any other requests for this feature to be supported here in the community from a majority of Sonos Home users.

I tried having two Pi-Holes serving DHCP and found enough frustrations I went back to using a single DHCP server.

Having two DHCP servers for redundancy sounds like a good thing but it can get complicated. I found simply increasing the lease time on the single server gave me a long enough time to repair a failed Pi-Hole before the leases expired. A new lease is requested at 50%, 87.5% and 100% of the lease time. One can also be manually requested in most interactive operating systems.

Possibly you could set PI-Hole up to spoof the Server-ID, that would be a question for one of the Pi-Hole sites.

Can you please let me know if this is something that can be fixed.

Would you care to estimate what miniscule fraction of the customer base this issue affects, and where it would therefore sit in the list of Development priorities? Below the bottom would be my best guess.

The overwhelming majority of users would have a single DHCP server, unless they’ve added another by accident in which case they’d be set right by Sonos Support or this community.