Controlling SONOS connect to SONOS connect delay

• 26 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge
Hi,
I have a pretty complex setup where 7 SONOS connect are driving 7 identical analog Power Amp and 1 SONOS connect driving a Yamaha RX-A3060 (AV receiver).

The issue is the following:
When in party mode (all zones playing same source), the sound delay is perfectly balanced for my 7 analog amps but since the RX-A3060 is processing the sound, it also delays it by a fair amount, invalidating the sefulness of it.

Questions:
1- Is there a way to program an audio delay value in all my SONOS connect (but the one driving the Yamaha RX-A3060) in order to get a near perfect sync?
2- (For Yamaha gurus) Is there a way to avoid all processing in the Yamaha in order to get a cut-through sound that is not delayed.

Thanks,
Steph.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

1 - No, there is no adjusting the delay.

2 - Most receivers have a "Pass Through", "True Stereo", or other such mode that bypasses any DSPs. I believe Yamaha calls it "Pure Direct".
Badge
jgatie, thanks for your anwer. Yes, I alrealdy know about the "Pure Direct" but it unfortunately this mode disable my subwoofer (don't care about other speakers). Being a bassholic, it is not a solution for me...
I had discussed this with someone here about a year ago. We concluded that there is no solution for this; either accept loss of sync or loss of the Sub.
With Connects the Sonos products employed, even the expensive solution of adding a Sonos Sub isn't available.
On second thoughts, if your Sub can accept high level inputs, these can be supplied from the speaker terminals of the two front speakers on the Yamaha. But this will dilute the effects channel use of the Sub for movies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What sound processing setting are you using on your AV receiver?

I have a CONNECT feeding a Yamaha DSP-AX757SE via optical digital. I don't perceive a sychronisation offset with the other speakers in the house, but I'll admit they're in different rooms so it's hard to be certain. When I first hooked up the CONNECT, I stood in the hallway, listening to the multiple sources, and they sounded in sync to me.

I use the Yamaha on 2-CH or 7-CH stereo processing mode. This is not 'Pure Direct', and it does feed the subwoofer. I haven't tested it, but I'm wondering whether different processing modes might introduce different delays.
2 channel modes that employ downmixing also cause delays, but the extent of delays across different modes will vary from make to make. Whether this mode in the Yamaha - that also has a pure direct mode - allows a best of both worlds by letting the Sub also work without having sync trouble with Sonos speakers in the same open space can only be determined by experimenting. Delays that do not visibly affect lip sync will still show up and cause a distracting echo if close to perfect sync is absent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What sound processing setting are you using on your AV receiver?

I have a CONNECT feeding a Yamaha DSP-AX757SE via optical digital. I don't perceive a sychronisation offset with the other speakers in the house, but I'll admit they're in different rooms so it's hard to be certain. When I first hooked up the CONNECT, I stood in the hallway, listening to the multiple sources, and they sounded in sync to me.

I use the Yamaha on 2-CH or 7-CH stereo processing mode. This is not 'Pure Direct', and it does feed the subwoofer. I haven't tested it, but I'm wondering whether different processing modes might introduce different delays.

As a quick experiment, I moved a ONE into the same room as my CONNECT/Yamaha combo, and grouped them. Perfect sync using 2-CH Stereo processing on the Yamaha, to the extent that I can tell.
In that case it is as close to perfect as it needs to be. I wonder if this option in addition to Pure direct is available on all Yamaha receivers, or is a feature of just a few models including this one. If the former, no owner of Yamaha receivers should have this complaint. If they read their manual.