Changing to BOOST mode

• 24 March 2018
  • 4 replies

I’m posting my first question to a forum for years... I can normally work out stuff myself but have now run out of ideas!

I have a Sonos Connect, a connect amp, and two Ones.
Until today I had them running via home WiFi. But it was kind of unreliable - the connect has a poor signal and there’s a WiFi extender nearby.

So I have tried... and tried to get a sonos boost network running instead. I want to wire the connect directly to my router. But I have not been able to pair it.
In troubleshooting so far I have:
- switched off all other devices
- factory reset the connect
- wired it directly to my router with short length of cat 5e (tested)
- changed my home WiFi SSID

during the pairing process I get the green flashing light, the app prompts me to press the infinity button, I press play and volume up together, I see flashing amber light then solid amber light. Then nothing.
It creates a network called SONOS, I tried connecting to that too.

What have I done wrong? Surely it shouldn’t be this hard?

Thanks in advance...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Also - I’ve switched off the range extender!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Did you factory reset you speakers. To move to Sonosnet from Wifi only you shouldn't have to re-add the speakers. You should be able to connect one of the previously working speakers via Ethernet cable to your router. Then open Sonos app and hit connect to existing system if it asks. It should come right up.

Did you do a hard reset of speaker or should it still be setup?

What model router?
It’s a Sky Q router.
I found out this morning that it seems one of the router ports wasn’t working- switched ports and now connected and working a treat in boost mode.
Thanks for the tip about getting the other speakers connected without factory resetting- will give it a try ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Once gone in to boost mode they should all show up.