Ceiling Speakers throughout house?

• 28 November 2016
  • 4 replies

I have an in home system setup with speakers throughout the house in the ceiling. The rooms that have ceiling speakers have wall plate switches to turn the sound on or off and volume control. They do not allow you to change channels, select music etc... this can only be done from one source at the main outlet.
I currently only have one control station that I can hook up any type of sound like a stereo, directv, ipod etc.. to provide sound to those speakers.
I would like to be able to control the input wirelessly from anywhere with my phone and select whatever source I choose like pandora, amazon etc..
Is there a product that will let me do that?
Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Simplest - get a Sonos Connect

You can hook a Sonos connect into the single control station you have.

If you have something already hooked to that input you can hook it to the connect then the connect to the input.

You will then be able to play all Sonos offerings via your system via the input. You can also in the sonos controller control the overall volume level housewide and select the input (like if you have directv or something hooked to that input). Then your old wall volume controls can adjust the sound level in comparison to other rooms.

The next level from that would mean pulling your old system and replacing with Connect:Amps going to various zones of your house. This would allow you independent volume control of each zone and playing different music to different zones.
Badge
I have a similar situation. I wish SONOS made a replacement wall switch so I could independently control the volume in each room through the app.
I answered your question in another thread, but I think I may have misunderstood your scenario slightly. Do you have a separate amp for each room? If your driving several rooms with one connect:amp, there isn't a sonos product wall switch that will allow separate volume control at each room. The product I recommended would work for this scenario either.

There may be a volume control switch out there that can be controlled through a phone app, or has some sort of remote control, but I'm not aware of it.
Badge
Thanks, I opened a topic for a feature request. I can't be the only one who has existing whole house audio they want to modernize.