Question

Can I use my PLAY:5 as front speakers together with my playbar and Sonos 1 as back speakers?

• 6 January 2018
  • 7 replies

I have bought two Sonos 5 and believed I could set up these with my playbar and the two other sonos1 i use for back speakers. Is this not possible?
I think I read somewhere that this should be possible.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No. It is not possible.
Thank you for reply.

But is it possible to use it fra the tv?
Badge
AstroDad Novice 13 replies 2 years ago
I did add a stereo pair of play 3 speakers to supplement the Play Bar by grouping them with the Play Bar/Sub and rear surrounds and it works fine. I removed the delay by going to settings/room settings/Living room/TV Dialog/ Audio Delay (lip sync) and sliding the control button to the right until delay was gone.
Hope that helps!
Like (0) Quote More
ratty
ratty 22011 replies 2 years ago
Adjusting PLAYBAR audio delay will work, kind of.

It's not an accurate sync, and it pushes the PLAYBAR out to ~70ms latency instead of its usual 30ms. This could ruin sync between audio and picture, unless you bypass the TV and take an optical feed direct from an upstream set-top box.

Play 5 speakers will also work.
That isn't really using the Play:5s as a discreet left and right and the Playbar as a center. The Play:5s will be playing the exact same ouput as the Playbar and a derived channel from the surrounds. This could give you a muddy sound and for sure is going to mess up the soundstage. I personally would not do it this way. If I had a need for discrete channels, I would forego a soundbar and buy a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 setup.
Badge
Just a question and certainly no offence intended. Have you tried this?
No. I don't have to. I've been a home theater enthusiast for years and anyone with any knowledge knows that 5 discreet sources distributed in that configuration would cause a muddy, indistinct soundstage. You can try it and you may even like it, that is your subjective right. Heck, I've seen people rave about their HT setups with the surround speakers sitting up front on their TV stand, so who am I to judge? But the facts state it will be accoustically inaccurate, and that's all I was trying to inform you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I know this is an older thread but I REALLY wish that SONOS would update things to make this work. The playbar has poor separation for left and right sounds and I would LOVE to simply be able to add a couple of Play 5s as right and left channels and use the Playbar as center. Seems like a no brainer. Frankly, I'd like to be able to use Play 5s as surrounds too.