Answered

can i control My sonos when not on wifi

• 6 October 2022
  • 1 reply

I have Amps controlling my speakers in my yard. 3 of them to be exact. Fire pit, BBQ, and Porch. When I’m sitting around the fire or a little further out my Wi-Fi signal weakens and I have trouble controlling Sonos from my phone. The amps are close enough to Router and speakers are hardwired so that’s not the issue. It’s simply volume, music, zone, etc.  I cannot change them because my phone struggles on the Wi-Fi. Any thoughts, ideas, apps that connect directly to Sonos?

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 6 October 2022, 15:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Yes, there are some 3rd party apps that can control Sonos speakers while not on the WiFi network.  The Alexa app can, for example, but only Sonos devices with voice control, and it’s not very good.   I don’t have much experience with other apps, so can’t comment much on them.

One other option is to get a Roam and essentially use that as a voice remote.  They tend to have stronger WiFi and might reach further than your phone can.  No guarantees.

What I would recommend is to just improve your WiFi network so that your phone can access the home network for all the places you need it.  That may cost a little more, but it likely will be an upgrade in the speed and quality of your network as well as the range.  This is the route I took and have no complaints whatsoever.