Answered

Boost - Disconnecting internet

• 25 November 2018
  • 4 replies

G'day Sonos Fans.

Please bare with me whilst I explain my scenario.
ISP Router: 192.168.1.254 (static/DHCP)
Wireless Bridge (Asus): 192.168.1.253 (static)
24 Port POE Switch (Dummy)
14 other Devices connected.

Recently added sonos beam + sub, no issues worked flawlessly.

Yesterday I added a Sonos Amp (x2) and Sonos Boost; It worked for a couple of hours; and at about the 4 hour mark my internet had shut off and ever since I've been playing with gremlins.

I originally had the configuration as follows: ISP Router > Switch > Boost > AMP.

After it broke I changed the AMP and BOOST to connect directly to the switch - I have not tried a different ethernet cable.

I changed the Wireless Bridge to Auto channel and Sonos Boost to Channel 6 - No change in issue.

Internally wireless connects, though cannot get to Google for example - sonos music unavailable etc.

Externally my CCTV (LAN) + Solar inverter (Wireless) - I can connect to both outside of house network - ISP Router confirms it can connect to external internet.

The amp is acting as the controller; is this correct? 192.168.1.239 - I thought the Boost should be acting as controller.. I'm new to Sonos so if someone could chime in that'd be great.

Very weird situation, but I have read/seen other have similar issues with the boost where it disconnects internet/conflict.

Any help would be appreciated.

*EDIT* - Added 2 Attachments, 1 AMP currently disconnected whilst I troubleshoot issue.
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 25 November 2018, 23:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Starting with a suggested solution, assign every sonos device a static/reserved IP in your router's DHCP page, power down Sonos, reboot router, power up sonos, wired first then wireless. Give each a minute to boot before doing te next.

Boost is very limited in functions but each Sonos device acts as a controller unless paired, bonded or grouped then one of the set is chosen as the controller. (vastly oversimplified)

Daisy chaining shouldn't be an issue with 3 or 4 devices, theink 7 might be the limit though.

Wifi shouldn't be on Auto, lock it somewhere and put your Sonos Boost elsewhere. Only use 1, 6 or 11.
Starting with a suggested solution, assign every sonos device a static/reserved IP in your router's DHCP page, power down Sonos, reboot router, power up sonos, wired first then wireless. Give each a minute to boot before doing te next.

Ok, this makes sense.

I'll power up Router > AMP x 2.
Power up Boost.
Power Beam.

My Beam is just HDMI (ARC) connected to TV, so this will be wireless.

Daisy chaining shouldn't be an issue with 3 or 4 devices, theink 7 might be the limit though.

I didn't think so, but you never know these days, DAISY chain definitely saves some ethernet ports on the 24 port.

Wifi shouldn't be on Auto, lock it somewhere and put your Sonos Boost elsewhere. Only use 1, 6 or 11.

Only changed WIFI to Auto this morning for testing purposes.

When I get home, I'll give this a crack, I'll report back ASAP.

Thanks for your assistance thus far.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I feel your switch port shortage here, just had to add a 3rd 24 at my router and have 5 downstream switches, 8 or 5 ports and I'm still getting low on open ports.
I feel your switch port shortage here, just had to add a 3rd 24 at my router and have 5 downstream switches, 8 or 5 ports and I'm still getting low on open ports.

It's a never ending cycle at the moment.. I love hard-wired but I can understand the attraction behind wireless, simple. Though, wired is set-forget.

Anywho off topic a little.

Last night I did some digging around, fortunately it wasn't a SONOS issue; it seems my ISP had changed something on the back-end causing DNS error.

BUT in saying that, it caused me to research further and better place my boost which I have now moved my wireless router to more suitable place away from the boost etc.

Can confirm it's all working, thank you for your assistance.