Best option for large flac library

I have a large local flac library that is too big for the Sonos indexing system (about 70 000 songs). To be able to play all music via my Sonos system, I've simply attached my laptop to one of my play 5’s via the 3.5mm jack. Music is played on my windows laptop by a separate player (Winamp, I'm old school).

However I feel that the quality of the flac files is not fully appreciated using this setup. Is there a better solution available?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

If you’re happy to use your laptop to control things, then the full version of Plex might work for you. The cut down version for Sonos is rather limited, though.

Because I prefer to use the Sonos software, I manually keep my library under the Sonos limits - keeping the remaining tracks in a separate directory. Not ideal, though.

When I feel that I need to listen to it all then I use a music server on my other NAS drive and cast to a Chromecast Audio (via HiFi Cast) which is plugged into a Play 5 - this can then be played on any Sonos device as it’s simply a line in source. It gets round the library size issue and also allows hi-res files to be played without conversion. It might also form a longer term solution as my AV amp also has Chromecast capability, although that wouldn’t integrate with the Sonos environment. This isn’t a problem to me, as I’m usually in one room or another - and other devices not in use are turned off.

I think that you’ll find that we’re in a minority, as the world appears to have moved to streaming - and that is what Sonos is now focussed upon. I confess, even if they upped all the limits on S2 kit, I doubt that I’d replace my current devices, as I now believe that it’s better to split the ‘smarts’ from the audio side.

A very quick and easy scheme is to have separate shares for seasonal music or perhaps for kids that are away at school, etc. This would be manageable on a seasonal basis, but not much fun on a week to week basis.

Many people don’t listen to tracks, they listen to complete works. In this context, since SONOS is not particularly sensitive to file size, an opera or symphony could be condensed into a single track.

Thanks for your responses.

Yeah, Sonos is more focused on the streaming market. Too bad for the people that have their own large collections.

Maybe I should check plex. The chromecast didn't work for me. There was some kind of problem with interference of the signal. Dividing up my collection or changing the content is not the solution I’m looking for.

Cheers!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Plex or Roon are the only real options left in this space nowadays.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I’ve tried three different software (Plex, LMS and Roon) for my local library and Sonos.

I’ve stuck with LMS and Plex. I like the Material interface for LMS and overall library features the most. Lots of community development and support. I still use Plex but mostly for remote streaming. Though casting to Sonos using Plexamp works great. If you go with Plex definitely try out Plexamp. 

I found worrying about library size, tag lengths or dividing the library (as suggested by Buzz) not ideal but they may be the easiest place to start tbh. 

I’ve stuck with LMS …

How does that work with Sonos? Had a quick look but it only seems to talk about streaming to a Squeezebox device.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I’ve stuck with LMS …

How does that work with Sonos? Had a quick look but it only seems to talk about streaming to a Squeezebox device.

I learned this from someone on the Community here. In LMS you enable a UPNP player option on the settings/plugin page. Has a default setting for Sonos. It just worked. LMS sees Sonos devices as a player and plays to them.

I’ve stuck with LMS …

I learned this from someone on the Community here. In LMS you enable a UPNP player option on the settings/plugin page. Has a default setting for Sonos. It just worked. LMS sees Sonos devices as a player and plays to them.

Thanks - they don’t seem to have a version for NAS drives, though - particularly Synology

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I’ve stuck with LMS …

Thanks - they don’t seem to have a version for NAS drives, though - particularly Synology

I’m not familiar with Synology but if it supports Docker there are several LMS images available. LMS Community is the one I use.

I’m not familiar with Synology but if it supports Docker there are several LMS images available. LMS Community is the one I use.

Thanks….