Automatic Regrouping on Restart

• 4 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

I have 19x Sonos Play 1, - and music playing throughout the house. However, when they are not playing and I am sleeping they still consume 3.7W each, (~70W combined) to no use at all. They are therefore configured to all by on the same electrical circuit on which I have a kill switch, so that they all go offline. This was originally thought of as a way to kills my teenage kids playing music too late or just when we left the house for a few days.

But now it seems silly/lack of respect for finite resources, not to use this each night when I know they will not play. However, - I then run into the regrouping issue. Before I can start playing music, manually or automatically, - I need to fiddle with the Sonos App to regroup all the speakers. 

A feature, where on restart a speaker goes back into its default group would be great. This allows greater convenience, and allows me and others to turn the whole thing off at night and save electricity - for our individual and collective benefit.

I am aware of other post asking for the same feature, - but they are 3 to 7 years old, so I hope this repost will bring it to the top of the inbox

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Be aware that turning electronics off and on again is one of the best ways to shorten its lifespan, due to repeated thermal and electrical stresses.

As for regrouping, there are third party options which could do this. For example the IKEA Tradfri system can execute a timer event each day to build a group.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Otherwise, you can create and save groups. It’s been a feature for a while now. When starting a music stream, choose a speaker in that group, then select the group you want to play to. Not quite automatic, but it’s only 2 keystrokes. 

Or use Alexa ‘enabled’ groups, SVC, or perhaps the Soro (iOS 3rd party App) - lots of ways to quickly recreate a Sonos group without even opening the Sonos App.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Dear all, @ratty , @Ken_Griffiths , @nik9669a 

Thank you for your suggestions and special thanks to @ratty for letting me know that power OFF/ON can reduce the lifespan. I did not know that. Thanks!
While all these solutions, could solve the problem, - would it not still just be easier if the “regroup on device ON + on a schedule” was a native feature of Sonos? I can create and save groups. That I do already and it works, - but they don’t regroup on restart. 🤷 

I do know that I could access a API, or Alexa, or a third party tool… but sometimes its easier to get water on the side of the river that you already are, rather than cross the river first?