Apple Music / AirPlay Compatibility with Many Devices

• 4 April 2023
  • 1 reply

We have a ton of difficulty getting consistent audio to come out when using Apple AirPlay to play Apple Music through our all of our Sonos Speakers. 

We have 10 varietal (brand new) speakers and we use a Sonos Port to play audio through additional old hard-wired speakers using a regular Yamaha amp. 

When it’s working, it’s amazing!!

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to listen uninterrupted. It goes off regularly now, even when I leave my phone stationary in the kitchen. 

Thanks for the help!

• Jordan 

PS: We much prefer airplay because of the Apple Watch compatibility with Apple Music. I wish Sonos made the watch app! The LYD app is not a replacement. I tried it!

PPS: Additional Apple Incompatibility Side Note: the Sonos Apple Music management system is really lack-luster. It’s very unlike the actual Apple Music app, which makes it hard to get the same great listening experience. Examples: Playing all music by an artist is forced sorted by album, you can’t easily start a radio station based on any song, etc. I wish they could just allow us to play music the exact way it works in the native app!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @LordanJevy, welcome to the Sonos Community!

By consistent audio, do you mean you’re receiving dropouts and interruptions, or do you mean something else? 

Airplay goes from your Phone → Router → Sonos, so a network interruption at any stage can cause this connection to break. I’d suggest trying with multiple different Airplay devices or even attempting to use a different music service to test the system.

If the audio is still cutting out with a different Airplay device and different service, then I’d recommend checking our support article on sources of wireless interference that you can remove to keep this connection from cutting out, as this is likely the cause.

If you’re still having issues after following the article above, then you’ll want to reach out to our support team for further troubleshooting assistance.

I hope this helps!