Answered

Another Mesh Connection Issue or is it?

• 25 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello All Fellow Sonotians !! I have a fairly substantial Sonos system (12 devices on S2) with a fairly substantial mesh network all in a fairly substantial (5000+ sqft) home. I have 6- EERO 6+ spread throughout 2 adjacent structures (main Home and shop).  I have 2- isp here both xfinity gig plus, and an Att fiber 1 gig.  To reel back For years I had the older Eero 2nd gen, spread over here as well as only xfinity. Life was grand Sonos was seamless. Never skipping, never missing a beat. EERO stopped updating the older routers so I removed these and replaced with the 6 plus units. Life was still ok so I thought , the music was fine at night or on the weekends. I noticed it started to skip more and more frequently… so I called in xfinity and had the lines checked thinking sure I’m perhaps loosing speed at peak intervals… well all was as good as could be.. I’m testing out well over 800mbps usually, at 4-5 pm on weekdays it drops off sharply so I call xfinity they say there is nothing they can do I have the fastest internet money can buy…  so I’m thinking to myself Sonos doesn’t need the speed it just needs a solid connection at best… so as my problem at my main home continues at the peak times like when I get home from work or on the weekends when I want to enjoy my music… i remember I have another property at a weekend home where I have some (4)  no longer supported Eero 2nd gen, running off a 300mb max budget Spectrum cable plan. This location has 4 Sonos products and they have been playing without a hiccup for years….  So my frustration begins to mount and I keep messing with my masterpiece of a main home Sonos system… back at home I get another isp to try, you know they all assure me the internet will not buffer at peak times… so I try the fiber 1gig. The problem is still prevalent almost exactly the same as with the xfinity. So now all this time and effort reading trying anything and I’m still at square one. I’m almost positive it has to do with my mesh network but I tried direc wiring a handful of my Sonos units to my1gb wired switch… it made it worse !! now so before I remove all my 6 plus Eero and try something else or even kick the Sonos to the curb someone talk me off the ledge ! I have always loved my Sonos but I can’t take much more ! Are my Eeros throttling me since Bezos bought them? They worked fine before Amazon got involved 😂… help guys 🍺🍺cheers and thanks in advance - and sorry for the ramble!

icon

Best answer by buzz 25 January 2024, 06:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Keep a log because you may discover something interesting. Many years ago I had a nasty issue. I started keeping a log and vey quickly noticed that days and some evenings were trouble free. Sunday was nearly impossible. I slipped a copy of my log under my neighbor’s door, along with a polite note. A couple days later the note returned with annotations. She sometimes traveled overnight for work and called mom on Sunday. She was using a cordless telephone that was known to trash nearby WiFi.  I was able to avoid placing wireless units near her base station and cured my issue.

Make sure that your Eero units are up to date and set static IP addresses for all regular network clients. Either Eero or the ISP’s router should be set for “Bridge” mode.

Hey Buzz thanks for the reply!!…. So… Bridge mode was tried a while back with no luck.. This was the first try that Sonos and EERO recommended…  the newer Xfinity Modem Router, and the Att Fiber routers did not like playing with my  EEROS on Bridge mode so both tech support agents told me to set it back. I Spent a while day back and forth with no success both routers had to be set back in order to have any connection… I am not opposed to trying it again but none of my other sonos systems are set to this while running the mesh, nor did the first couple years of use of my systems require the bridge mode setting….  Ill try to carve out some time to try it again on bridge mode…. Will report back as soon as I do…  Thanks !