Question

New app Sucks!!

Userlevel 6
Badge

This new app is one of the worst apps I have ever used! I have been a high end integrator for 30 years! I love Sonos but will now have to find a new music system to sell if they don’t fix this!

194 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge

I agree 100%  Sonos has taken two steps back on this latest update.  It makes me think that they aren’t interested in its customers experience.  Very frustrating!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge

New app SUCKS BIG TIME!!! I would never have spent the money on this system!!!

Userlevel 4
Badge

I used Sonos all the time and features I used every day are now buried in an inconsistent menu. For example, changing EQ on an outdoor speaker setup and I still don't know how to add songs to the queue without totally replacing it. I used to make custom Playlist for my son every night, just in the queue.

Userlevel 4
Badge

100% agree. They went ahead and disabled TuneIn (not just deauthenticated it as they did for Sirius), so I had to re-add it. The LivePhish app is no longer useable, despite removing and re-adding. The navigation on streaming services (e.g., Amazon Music) is beyond bad. Seems like an opening for someone who wants to develop a wireless speaker ecosystem (although new licensing must be a bear), so long as Sonos doesn’t try to sue for patent infringement (they likely will). Latency is also super bad for controls, which is annoying if you need to lower volume or change a song due to immediate reasons. I absolutely couldn’t imagine going live with a UI like this if they beta tested it at all. I loved Sonos for many years, advocated for adoption over all others and have made the infrastructure for music in my house, but it now seems like a * company, and I straight up feel betrayed. Before software as a service, the speakers worked. Now you have to buy a whole new ecosystem.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 4
Badge

Soooooo bad. AGAIN? My grouped systems wouldnt work, audio jumping all over. They already took away my ability to play my music off my phone (mp3s, I have my entire music collection ripped), and now THIS? WHO IS RUNNING THIS COMPANY!

I just had to roll back, and I blocked it from auto updating. This software team should be embarrassed...

Userlevel 6
Badge

Would you please explain how to roll back to the previous version and prevent auto updates?

Userlevel 4
Badge

In the play store you can select to not auto update that app. I used the std android uninstall and resinstalled the march apk.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Sorry, but I am not a tech wizard.  Where can I find the previous (rust color) app (march apk.)?  I only see the new app (black) in the Play Store.  Much appreciated.

Userlevel 4

I’ve never before commented on a string before but, I’m making an exception for this thread and wholeheartedly agree this application SUCKS!  I am so friggin’ frustrated!  If I didn’t have so much money invested in their speakers I’d change to a different company!  I’ve given up for the day.  

Userlevel 4
Badge

Agree the new updates app really sucks. Sonos .. what the heck you doing. You should have just kept it the way it was…  super clean, simple, intuitive. This thing is a mess now and it just went from being “tight” / “Apple”-esque clean to like all the other crap out there. Agree with what the others are saying…  not linking together song with speakers, can’t adjust the EQs quickly…  I feel like I’m looking at a cheesecake factory menu. My experience is more stress than the chill vibe I had with prior app. Get back to your Santa Barbara chill vibe days Sonos!  Seems to me like some a newly appointed C executive was just making changes to justify their recruitment or title promotion. Typical corp crap that runs good companies down over time. Did you guys even beta test this? I’ve recommended Sonos so many times, never have I Not recommended them… I literally have told about six people in two days about this garbage and not recommending it.  I really liked Sonos a lot, bummed you went schlocky.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Also adding: can’t believe you took the mute button away for each room. It’s either pause/muste whole thing (ie all rooms) or nothing. Before could go in and mute specific rooms. How is this better..? Lack of customizing..?

Userlevel 3

I'm a longtime Sonos user that's also SO disappointed in the app. In the first few minutes, my thought was, "did they even test this thing??". It's like Sonos employees don't even use the speakers or app and have no idea what features would be useful. 

I can't fathom what catastrophes are taking place at Sonos for them to release this app thinking it would work for users. 

Will absolutely divest of my full home system if they can't fix this.

Userlevel 3

I have had the same experience and have a AV team coming over this week to seek a replacement for the Sonos gear.  The new app is awful.  Nothing works now. 

Userlevel 3

I’ve had Sonos since 2009 and it was simple to set up, reliable and worked. Stumbling through the horrible growth of S1 to S2 apps and incompatibilities was one thing, but this new app is UNACCEPTABLE. Nearly all the ease and functionality has disappeared. Latency in the app recognizing my system components, selected music, playing or pausing, no longer a Sleep Timer function (how could you overlook or disregard something so useful?), cannot add a single track to a playlist (Play next…don’t think so!), volume control hidden behind curtains, browse the album or artist? If it exists, I can’t find it. I’m six rooms deep into a system that I’ve had for nearly 15 years and they’re driving me away. Poor customer service and planning. What say ye, Sonos?

Userlevel 2

How can we go back with the previous app?

Userlevel 2

Very bad app. I can't play music because each time it says something went wrong. Can't search music in YouTube Music. I've re-authenticated on multiple music providers but still doesn't work correctly.

Userlevel 3

I have never joined a blog or site to comment but here I am. This update for May 2024 is the worst thing that happened to Sonos! Like others say, it’s just awful. Cannot even add songs to queue without replacing. Mine has delays to the system and updating the app. Just awful. 

This new app is one of the worst apps I have ever used! I have been a high end integrator for 30 years! I love Sonos but will now have to find a new music system to sell if they don’t fix this!

Omg and I thought maybe it's my system I would have never thought they released that what do you call it not app cause an application does things this one does I guess by messing it up.  I have all my speakers on Lan and it cuts out and if that's not the problem try turning down the volume it takes about 5 seconds to register but don't turn up the volume cause it rips the knob off and God help you if you want to play from Spotify no can do for a complete song anyway there was a man that had mad his own app I think I would try him first and delete this garbage off and just try to use them through Bluetooth or some other way outside sonos control and if all else fails an other speaker company is going to get a lot of customers fast and I get to my video of smashing all 32 of my speakers with a sledge hammer.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Sorry, but I am not a tech wizard.  Where can I find the previous (rust color) app (march apk.)?  I only see the new app (black) in the Play Store.  Much appreciated.

Google "sonos app apk mirror".

Select the 16.1 app suited for your phone. Download it. Delete the new app on your phone. Then you can install the old one.

After you have done that. Disable the auto update in the Sonos app and the playstore.

Done.

Userlevel 3

I could not agree more that the new app sucks!  Even when it was working, I liked the other version MUCH better!  I have a pair of Ones, Era 100s , and a Era 300.  Yesterday, I could not play any music anywhere, but after applying the FW updates and updating the app, I can play through everything but the Era 100s.  Unfortunately, the they are my primary playback speakers.  After calling their support number and waiting 1:15 min, the call was selected and they just hung up on me without saying anything.  I’ve been waiting 30 min today already when they said the wait was 55 min.  They did not fully test this update before rolling it out, hence the long wait times.  Their speakers sound good, but I truly regret my purchases with this BS app update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Userlevel 3

I invested yet another 1:08 min to only hear them, but they not hear me!!!!!!!!  This update sucks and their CS is inadequate.  A suggestion to Sonos: remove the update and give us the old version and don’t roll anymore POS app updates out until they have been FULLY tested!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Userlevel 3

Sonos is absolute trash.  I have 11 Play:1 2 play bars a sub, connect, 2 ones.  Now I am going to fire sale all that trash.  

I have asked for years to be able to add Play:1 as right and left in a surround sound setup with my Play bar.  I have asked that when I pair my kitchen with my surround setup in my living room it would not drop out and glitch.  

What does Sonos give me?  A worse experience with every update making my system more useless.  I don't need a second rate Alexa built in, I need actual functionality.  

This company is trash.  I will not buy another product from them.  

Userlevel 3

I finally received an update for my Era 100s and it is working.  No support agents available.  Only the bot and it is worthless.  Phone support has a 75 min wait now, which means at least 90 mins.

Userlevel 1

30+ year AV integrator.  I like the ORIGINAL, simple app.  They changed it amd I hated it, but finally to a point I could use it and tolerate it.  A new revamped app was  welcome news….until I used it!  Have not used it since the 1st day.  SO FRUSTRATED!  How was this not released as a BETA or rigorous in-house testing?!?!  I’ll wait a minute to see what happens, but it better be quick or bring back S2!

Userlevel 2

I have been a Sonos user for 11 Years and now with this update I consider this system almost unusable.  I have Sonos systems in every room in my house, even the outdoor spaces.  In the old app I could find a room, then choose music.  There is no way to simply choose a room anymore!  Can we please roll back to the old App, because this one does NOTHING to enhance my experience.  My wife will not use the system anymore because of this App.  Please SONOS…. FIX THIS!!