Question

sonos port not updating

• 17 May 2024
  • 9 replies

So I just got Sonos port I’m trying to connect it to the app But it keeps giving me error 1002 I can find the product and I enter the pin and everything and it connects to the app and I see it pop up on my network with an IP address, but as soon as the port says it needs to update It says update failed and kicks it off the app so I can’t view it anymore and it won’t connect unless I factory reset it After I reset it, I try to connect it again, but the same issue keeps happening I think it has something to do with the new update, but I’m not sure. Has anyone had this problem after the update and if so, does anyone know how to fix it?

9 replies

Hi. I got my Sonos yesterday and I have spent 6 hours trying and retrying but i keep getting 1002 error. I have spent 1hr 45 minutes on phone waiting for techinician but couldn’t get my call through. I have also used google, reddit, community for various options and retried them multiple times. Still unable to download the latest software, This is really frustrating. I also sent an email yesterday but havent heard back for more than 24 hours. I had bought Sonos reading online that their app and connectivity is seamless. I can only imagine what others must be like if Sonos is this bad. Can anybody please help? SHould i return the product? I have restarted SOnos device (ARC), downloaded, deleted, redownloaded the app, tried to delete my account (even here they didn’t send me the confirmation email to delete) and restarted my router multiple times.

It's the latest crap app update. I have the port connected to my sound system and the app has totally broken everything including my music library. Read and weep the complaints on forums. Sonos don't care. Move on..

I’ve ran into the same issues y’all describe here. According to the tech I ended up speaking with, there is a batch of systems that’s installed with a buggy firmware version that prevents from updating. But the only way to get rid of it is, well… update it.

they allegedly have a team dedicated to this problem but God knows when they’ll come up with a fix. Probably safer to get a refund or have it exchanged wherever you purchased it - assuming the other systems they carry are from a different batch.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

So I just got Sonos port I’m trying to connect it to the app But it keeps giving me error 1002 I can find the product and I enter the pin and everything and it connects to the app and I see it pop up on my network with an IP address, but as soon as the port says it needs to update It says update failed and kicks it off the app so I can’t view it anymore and it won’t connect unless I factory reset it After I reset it, I try to connect it again, but the same issue keeps happening I think it has something to do with the new update, but I’m not sure. Has anyone had this problem after the update and if so, does anyone know how to fix it?

Have you tried connecting the Port to your router with an ethernet cable?

Restart your router and reset the Port. Some users have found that this works for them.

I have this same issue but my port is connected via Ethernet cable. Makes it all the way through setup but errors out right away when attempting update. 

I'm having the same issues described in this forum.

Howdy y’all,

just a quick update to let y’all know that I managed to get through the update by using the desktop application instead. Once the update is forced on the tethered-Sonos, you can proceed with the normal installation workflow on the phone app instead.

Howdy y’all,

just a quick update to let y’all know that I managed to get through the update by using the desktop application instead. Once the update is forced on the tethered-Sonos, you can proceed with the normal installation workflow on the phone app instead.

How did you connect the Port to a PC? There's no USB input on the Port. There's also no way to add new Sonos products in the desktop app.

Howdy y’all,

How did you connect the Port to a PC? There's no USB input on the Port. There's also no way to add new Sonos products in the desktop app.

I managed to work around it by using a combination of the Windows app and the Android app.

On its own the Android.app was getting stuck on the firmware update step with same/ similar symptoms to the OP.

The Windows app was able to do the firmware update, it would appear, but not to register the device 🫠.

To rule out wifi factors I did this via a wired connection, but that's probably irrelevant.

I tried so many things I can't say exactly if this would work, but I'd try the following:

Use mobile app to discover the device and then wait for update to fail.

Use Windows to run firmware update and then quit out if you end up stuck in a loop trying to register the device.

Restart mobile app and it will (might) pick up the process asking for the device pin.

Good luck