Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

My further testing was short :( As soon as I started the TV, the cutting sound was back :(

I guess the reason why it was fine before, was because I switched the cable back into the eARC channel. The similar way that some people had to restart the Sonos for it to work. 

Hmmm that is not good!  I just got this from Sonos support FWIW:

On the other hand, I am glad to tell you that tomorrow we'll launch a firmware update that will apply the patch to Samsung TVs, so please make sure to run the update tomorrow and let me know your experience.

Samsung and Sonos really need to step in and solve this.  I’m ready to pull the trigger on a 65” or 75” Samsung Frame (2020) and Sonos ARC to use with an Apple TV 4K and Panasonic 4K Blu-Ray Player, which will require eARC to work with uncompressed Atmos!

Userlevel 1
Badge

First cutouts noted today..had to power off the sonos arc..then it worked again...weird..

Oh dear, both my Samsungs were collected today. Now to order another - Third time lucky hopefully! 

I got the update today after speaking with support for about 30 min (Norway). Unfortunately the update failed and now my Arc is useless, it cannot connect to the internet anymore. Have tried a factory reset without any luck and will have to reach out to Sonia Support again tomorrow.

Userlevel 1

My update:

1. Tried sonos chat - they were useless - said I needed to call
  2. Called and got support right away.  This guy Jose was great.  That being said my build for the ARC was the latest and he said there isn’t a newer one.  Their “patch” didn’t fix the problem and they are reengaging with Samsung to fix this.  He asked me to unplug my apple tv (or other HDMI devices) because they could be hijacking the signal “say whaa??” 
  3. My build number on my Arc is different than what @meigs1 posted and it is lower.  However support told me the builds are regionalized so just because you have a different number doesn’t mean you don’t have the “fix”
  4. Sr Engineer will call me in next 1-2 days to do some troubleshooting.  
  5. Wife is still sooo pissed. Like Bridgerton with the sound cutting in and out completely sucks. 
  6. Help me sonos - you are my only hope.

Thank you

Hello,  I just purchased A Samsung Frame 75” and looking at buying the Sonos Arc, but waiting to see if these problems are fixed first. 

Is the Arc functioning with optical audio cable as a temp fix?  

Thanks.

Add another to the list! 2020 Samsung frame 75. Called Sonos support and got nowhere with the status of them fixing this issue. Ready to send it back!

I can’t believe Sonos has allowed these issues to continue for so long without offering a fix to the community. I am also experiencing dropped audio with my setup (Samsung Frame TV 2021, Sonos Arc/sub/ikea bookshelf speakers) and have spent hours on the phone with Sonos support - no luck.

I bought these products because I assumed they were of a certain quality but it appears not. Super disappointed.

Have you opdated your tv with the firmware version available on Samsungs support website?

This solved all issues for me.

Yep - just did that this morning, no luck. I don’t think I have come across such a glitchy system in a very long time. I have power cycled 5 times, run Ethernet through the attic and down to the Arc, changed every imaginable setting…..and nothing. I cannot get the system to function consistently. I am dumbfounded as to why Sonos has such a strong reputation. 

Arc with Frame 65” 2020 still not working, sound skipping now and then when playing Atmos material. After almost 6 month’s of problems, 2 Samsung firmware updates and updates of the Sonos Arc as well, I’m not sure this ever will be solved. So disapointed. 

Anybody try the SL version of the ARC (Costco) on a Samsung TV? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So you called Sonos and asked for the patch to be applied to your Arc?

Userlevel 1
Badge

So you called Sonos and asked for the patch to be applied to your Arc?

No patch that I’m aware of. 

Same happened with me. Samsung Tech support wasn’t familiar with the issue and maintained that they were not aware of any ongoing issues with Frame. As a solve they wanted to send over a contracted Tech service person to diagnose it at home. When I insisted this is a known firmware issue and it likely cannot be served by the Tech person, that was the only option available. The Tech service wanted my TV to be unmounted ahead (they refused to help with it and will not help mounting it back). With all this, I just felt it was not worth the exercise - especially when they did not even look at their own forums to acknowledge this is a widely known issue. This and the fact that this issue was present from June without a fix or an ETA made me decide to return the TV (as much as I liked rest of it). I lost $400 between mounting, unmounting and remounting a new TV - what a waste! I wish I stumbled on this thread ahead of my TV purchase.

After I got the update above I haven’t had the problem. Whatever they did it seems to be working. 

The chat person didn’t know about the update until he talked to an engineer and then they did it right away.  I suggest you call back and tell them your build is lower and you want the update.  I did that several times before the chat person checked. And then he said he didn’t know about the patch or update but was glad to know now 

Has anyone tried the new firmware update from Samsung that was released on Feb 24?  The new firmware is 1462.1

I just noticed it in the Samsung website.  I have the 2020 Frame 55 inch tv.  I will also give it a try tonight.

This is only released in the US so far. Not in EMEA as far as I can see. So not sure if this has anything to do with “the update”.

I Live in Canada and applied the new update from Samsung via Usb then started watching Wandavision. Sound still cuts out. I have been trying to reach Sonos to get this new patch everyone has been talking about but I have not been able to reach them.

Already bought the Arc and planned to buy the Frame but will apparently look for other alternatives.

Could it be that the cable between the one connect box and the tv doesn’t have sufficient capacity to send through earc audio? Just a guess...

I will follow up once I get the patch from Sonos and will advise if I am getting atmos.

So is the concensus that this is related to the combination Arc+Connect One box?

Has anyone in this forum succeeded in getting eARC working with a Connect One equipped Samsung TV?

Sonos, do you guys have an update for us? A month ago you were “working on it”...

Here’s an update after I sent my email to the CEO:

Thanks for contacting Sonos, my name is Brian and I'm a supervisor here. Our CEO Patrick Spence forwarded this email to me in order to provide you further assistance here. We appreciate your comments and comprehension on the matter, we have brought this problem to Samsung's attention and we are still working together to find the best solution to it.

Even though we don't have any other information to share at the moment, we'd like you to try the following steps:

1- Ensure the TV is running the latest firmware version available, you can visit Samsung's website here and make sure to enter your TV model.

2- In case your TV isn't running the latest version on the website, please make sure to update the firmware on the TV and let me know if the problem persists.

3- In case you are running multiple HDMI  connected devices to your TV and inbuilt apps, try unplugging them and see if that resolves the problem.

Please reply to this email once the steps above have been tried and make sure to include your TV model and firmware too in order to continue investigating. We appreciate your help and preference.

Regards,

The highlight is that they are acknowledging that they are still working together with Samsung for a solution.

Moreover, I’m now able to fix the sound skipping issue by playing with the advanced sound configuration on the TV by toggling back and forth the eARC mode and the Dolby Atmos toggles. Before that I had to unplug and replug the HDMI cable.

Badge +17

Hi @Cosimo F,

If you’re still experiencing this issue with your Frame TV and Sonos Arc, I would encourage you to reach out again to our customer care team to get the patch applied as it may not have been available when you contacted them the first time.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Yep - just did that this morning, no luck. I don’t think I have come across such a glitchy system in a very long time. I have power cycled 5 times, run Ethernet through the attic and down to the Arc, changed every imaginable setting…..and nothing. I cannot get the system to function consistently. I am dumbfounded as to why Sonos has such a strong reputation.

Probably because it works on all other TV’s🤔? - Samsung issued firmware updates to fix their issues at their end on some models, including the Frame TV. I would first ensure the updates are installed, try powering everything off for 3 minutes to drain the power from all circuits and then setup the HDMI handshake again - if it still doesn’t work, then I would think there’s possibly either a problem with the Arc, Frame TV hardware, or more-likely something else connected to the TV via HDMI that is stealing the CEC protocol ‘focus’ away from the Arc connection, which is something Samsung will need to identify/fix, or you could take the easier step and switch off CEC on any other HDMI connected devices or as a last resort insert a CEC-Less adapter, like the one shown in this link between the ‘culprit’ and the  Frame TV:

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI

I understand the issues are more widespread with the Samsung TVs but I have seen numerous posts related to Sony and LG TVs. Also, my assumption is that Sonos would at least acknowledge the issues related to Samsung when I contact telephone support, instead of informing me that the issue has to do with wifi interference, which I know is not the case. 

Also, I have now removed the Apple TV 4K, powered off everything for 5 mins…and I am still experiencing issues. Therefore the CEC conflict is not the root cause as there is nothing connected to the TV, other than the Sonos Arc.

Clearly, I am frustrated and a lot of it has to do with the “support” received from Sonos. I just want to speak with someone capable, instead of someone reading from a script. Does anyone have any tips on how to connect with someone who is knowledgeable at Sonos?

Badge

I installed 1460.9 successfully on a Samsung Frame 75 (2020) w/Arc.   I have sound set to PCM. Still no sound coming from the Arc.  Just the Samsung TV. Any ideas on what to try next?

This isn’t solved for me on my Q8DT (Q80T). If you really want the frame, I would not recommend pairing it with the Sonos ARC if you want ATMOS. If you want the Sonos ARC then I wouldn’t get a Samsung. 

Samsung support is clueless. Sonos support has been good and they acknowledge that it is a Samsung issue. Samsung doesn’t acknowledge the issue at all from the support folks I talked to. 

Does it not work without Arnos functionality ? Ie just like a normal bar ?

I have a pre-2020 model and it doesn’t work via ARC. Funny thing is it used to work. I wonder if a software update to the tv caused it to stop working? Auto update is on so it could have updated without my knowledge.

So I connected via optical which worked for a while. My Sub disconnected somehow and I was forced to  reset my Arc and Sub and setup from scratch. This includes a software update and now it won’t connect via either connection method…

Clearly, I am frustrated and a lot of it has to do with the “support” received from Sonos. I just want to speak with someone capable, instead of someone reading from a script. Does anyone have any tips on how to connect with someone who is knowledgeable at Sonos?

I see, that’s not been my experience with their support, but I totally appreciate your frustration.

I can only perhaps suggest you call them back and ask for your case to be escalated to their Tier-2 support level and perhaps have ready a couple of diagnostic reports and maybe even a mobile video of the problem, on-hand to show them the information/problem. Then see if there is anything they can do.

What would also help is, if you have another TV in your household..it might be worth trying the ARC device linked to that aswell, just to see if the same issue persists… if it doesn’t persist, then you might want to speak to Samsung instead.

Sorry I can’t think what else might move your problem forward quickly, other than showing the Staff the issues you are seeing.