Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Userlevel 3

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

icon

Best answer by Ditte 22 January 2021, 17:53

View original

668 replies

Badge

I am wondering if there is any update in this? I have 55” Samsung The Frame (purchased from Costco in 2022) with my Sonos Arc connected to the eARC HDMI port on the TV’s control box. Periodically, and regularly, it no longer recognizes the arc as an audio output device. Sometimes power cycling and disconnecting/reconnecting fixes this, but just as often it does not.

It has only started doing this recently, like in the last month. Prior to that it worked flawlessly.

Help?

I have a fix that has eliminated the “cut out” Its simple and easy available on Amazon $24 Here it is HDMI F/M CEC LESS ADAPTER Just plug it into the cable box or source and plug the HDMI cable into the adapter, that easy.

Good luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi all, yet another note from the dev team:

We have been working on the ongoing audio problem between the Sonos Arc and several 2020 Samsung TV models. These models support the new eARC connectivity. Samsung TVs prior to and from 2019 do not support eARC and are not seeing this particular problem. Customers will randomly experience a complete loss of audio which requires either the rebooting of the Sonos Arc and/or the rebooting of the Samsung TV. 

If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.

Best,

Ditte

Reading this, the thread you are posting your message in is about 2020 Samsung The Frame model, so this should not be the problem you report. 

I’d suggest talking with Samsung. I believe they made a change to the CEC implementation on the TV set, which is no longer sending a standard CEC ARC signal. 

I am wondering if there is any update in this? I have 55” Samsung The Frame (purchased from Costco in 2022) with my Sonos Arc connected to the eARC HDMI port on the TV’s control box. Periodically, and regularly, it no longer recognizes the arc as an audio output device. Sometimes power cycling and disconnecting/reconnecting fixes this, but just as often it does not.

It has only started doing this recently, like in the last month. Prior to that it worked flawlessly.

Help?

Badge

12/19/2023

How do I get the Sonos patch to fix this problem?

Badge

Common problems (sounds dropping every 2 seconds, or no sound at all in built in Netflix app) with Sonos Arc and pair of Sonos One SLs as surrounds and the Frame 55 2020…

I emailed Sonos’ CEO a week ago stating that I know about the patch discussed in this thread, Emily from Support replied to my email (she was absolutely helpful and understanding), we exchanged a couple of emails where she asked me to submit diagnostics etc. and finally she sent me the patch today.

So far so good! Fingers crossed the problem is solved.

I think you’ll be fine. Believe they’ve resolved the issue with this patch. 

I did the same and a teck named Jason contacted me but did not send a patch. What can you tell me about the patch?

I’m experiencing a similar issue with my 2023 Samsung S95C and Arc. I also have the sub gen 3 and a pair of Era 100s for surrounds.

When switching between apps or even certain channels (like nextgen OTA and standard digital OTA) the audio will drop out completely. I then have to go into sound settings within the TV and change the audio format from Auto to PCM or vice versa, depending on what it was previously. I have also experimented with just changing it back to auto (auto → PCM → auto) and that works most of the time. It is very annoying and I am not sure how to stop it. I’ve tried doing the choreographed reboots detailed elsewhere but that didn’t work for me. 

Also, last night we were watching a Dolby Atmos movie on the built in Disney+ app and around 1.5hrs into the movie there was an extremely loud pop and no audio. I had to reboot the TV to restore audio.

Badge

I have a Sonos Beam Gen 2 + TV Samsung q70t, and when I play Atmos sound, I experience audio cuts every 15 minutes, which is annoying. I've tried everything, but nothing seems to work. Is there a patch for this?

I have a pre-2020 model and it doesn’t work via ARC. Funny thing is it used to work. I wonder if a software update to the tv caused it to stop working? Auto update is on so it could have updated without my knowledge.

So I connected via optical which worked for a while. My Sub disconnected somehow and I was forced to  reset my Arc and Sub and setup from scratch. This includes a software update and now it won’t connect via either connection method…

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello benji89.  I can’t definitively say if this issue has been resolved but I can chime in on my own recent experience.  I have a 75” 2022 Frame TV purchased this past November, and Apple TV 4K (I also have an Xbox X for gaming).  I had 2 HomePods paired with the Apple TV until just this past week I decided to purchase an Arc and Sub G3.

I was concerned about issues with the frame from what I’ve read but figured I’d take the chance and return them if there were any issues.  In my experience so far they have been excellent. They sound far better than I expected and work perfectly with my Xbox.  Of which previously with my Xbox/HomePods/AppleTV/Frame set up I had to turn off Atmos on the Xbox because it created a major lag while gaming.  Apple TV in that set up did work perfectly though.

Only issue that has crept up so far with the Arc is that I’ve had a few times what I would call a slight “freeze” or stutter in the picture (Probably a half second or less). Audio plays perfectly as this happens. The picture just freezes for a half second and then “skips” to the correct spot in sync with the audio again.  It is very slight but noticeable none the less.  Happened while watching Black Mirror on Netflix on the Apple TV as well as a movie rented from the Apple iTunes Store on Apple TV.  Not sure if it is relevant but both were 4K Atmos content.  I would estimate it happened about 4 times during the course of a 2 hour movie.  I am in the process of further testing/troubleshooting of other formats as well.

Here is a link to another thread that I posted regarding the issue.

With that being said I have trouble believing the Arc is causing issues with video.  But I also can’t deny the fact that this crept up once I brought the Arc into the mix either.  Might be a lot of different things such as network etc… and further testing is required.

All in all I do think I will be keeping the Sonos speakers as I love how they sound.  The spatial audio with music is excellent as well as the audio for movies etc…  I can actually turn off subtitles now while watching tv.  I needed subtitles on 90% of the time for the past several years and wish I would have gotten the arc/sub long ago for this reason alone.

I hope this experience helps.

If anyone has some insight into the Stutter issue it’d be most welcome.

Badge

Hello, has this issue been solved since then? I have a Samsung Frame 2021, and considering to buy a Sonos Arc, so I’d like to make sure I won’t have any issue. Thanks for your answer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Bijou Since you’re using optical your problem is different. This thread seems to be about eARC, so HDMI, not optical. At least that’s what it starts with - I’ve not reread al 27 pages. This might not be the right thread for your question.

No, this is not a website in which Sonos Support frequents, this is a community site. There are a very few moderators from Sonos, who generally have come from Support, and certainly have access to any diagnostics you submit, although their main function is moderation. If you want to speak directly to a Sonos support person, you should call Sonos Support directly. 

This site is for fellow customers to give aid and advice where they can. 

Same issue here, sound bar works to play music, but not on my Samsung Frame TV. What is odd is I was able to get it to work using an 6 foot optical cord, but I needed 10 ft and now it doesn’t play any audio at all for tv. This is super frustrating because I bought both high end products so I could enjoy a theater experience. This is such a bummer! Is there anyone from Sonos monitoring this community? Good customer service departments have a dedicated resource to add input and help customers. You already have us here trying to self help saving you tons of labor hours on calls and chats. Step it up and tell us what you know… even if you don’t know. 

I had very few issues for the last year with the Arc sound bar and Samsung frame. Now I have this issue also when the setting is on eARC. If I turn it off, I get sound. With eARC on it used to be that we would have a loss of audio about once every couple months and restarting would resolve the issue. Just in the last day the loss of audio has been persistent and requires me to turn eARC off. 

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

I had the same problem the only other thing I had hooked up to the tv was a blue ray player once I diconecter the blueray everything worked fine no more cutting out. When my audio was cutting in and out the tv kept switching between tv speakers and Sonos arc

I have the same problem with the 75 inch Frame and sonos arc. Have reported this to Samsung too

Not clear to me that this is the TVs problem as it thinks it is emitting earc but there is no sound, could be either side

75" The Frame

Model Code: QN75LS03TAFXZA

Software Version: T-NKMAKUC-1115 

Sonos arc,sub+2 ones

I have the QN75Q70AA and Sonos Arc , Samsung said it’s a Sonos issue and Sonos says it’s a Samsung issue. All tvs 2019 and older do not have this problem I also have  Bose 900 with no problems 

I had the same problem with my Samsung Q90T. Probably caused by plugging in a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and some kind of HDMI-CEC conflict happened. What fixed the problem for me was to unplug the Shield, disable Anynet+ on Samsung TV and then enable it again. Everything went back to normal. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

PS: I am amazed to see this issue continues on the FRAME 2021 version. Does anyone know if it has been resolved on the 2022 version ?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I can confirm that since the earlier firmware update fixed this issue, the ‘cut out in sound for a few seconds every 30-45 minutes’ is back in business for me, after changing nothing, but unfortunately auto-updating as I've done so many time over the past year. This is indeed EXTREMELY annoying that we still have to bother with this issue.

I would love if Sonos actually made an official statement, saying “THIS” is the issue, so we at least could go to Samsung and claim our money back. 

This issue is still ongoing and I’m convinced its a Samsung issue. I’ve tried the arc on every tv in my home and the only one with this issue present is the most expensive one (go figure). I kind of feel like Samsung made these TVs in a way that only their sound bars would plug in and work flawlessly. This is such a ridiculous situation. I just wish there was a way to connect the Arc to the TV wirelessly. At this point I’m sick of fiddling with this mess.

Unfortunately it doesnt let me do that (deactivate game response on HDAMI port 2)as it is grayed out but showing it is on.

You have to switch to the HDMI-2 Input to disable it.

Yes thanks that did work. Still flickering no matter what. Sometimes i am able to have eArc on but it doesnt last long. If i turn the tv off and back on again it flickers and sound cuts out.

Ok, perhaps continue this in the other thread instead and let me know if anything else is connected to the TV’s HDMI 1, 3 or 4? 

Badge

Unfortunately it doesnt let me do that (deactivate game response on HDAMI port 2)as it is grayed out but showing it is on.

Yes thanks that did work. Still flickering no matter what. Sometimes i am able to have eArc on but it doesnt last long. If i turn the tv off and back on again it flickers and sound cuts out.

Badge

Guys this insane issue is also present on my LGCX. Sound flickers including the image on my screen Its terrible. 

That sounds like a fault with either the TV/Sonos, or the cable, or perhaps one of the connected peripherals has CEC enabled and is attempting to steal focus.

Edit: With LG aswell, perhaps try switching off ‘Instant Game Response’ on the HDMI-2 port, as that may ‘sometimes’ have strange effects with connected audio devices.

I think with some other branded TV’s, like Samsung, Sonos choose now to switch off the screensaver on some of their models, but LG is normally fine.