Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

Badge

12/19/2023

How do I get the Sonos patch to fix this problem?

@Ditte 

Support didn’t seem to know anything when I contacted them. They wanted to troubleshoot the same basic things I’ve done 100 times with Sonos already. I went through the steps with them, however I would like to help out further with the dev team on any beta releases or other specific testing they may need. I’m not sure that any real info was gathered by me contacting support. 

It’s hard to believe but what seems to have fixed it for me, is changing from Wi-Fi to LAN. Frame55 and Arc, both 2020.

Settings: E-arc and Dig. Output is on Auto, Atmos is on.

Doesn’t make much sense to me, but anyway: it works and I really tried to crash it for the last two days. Before I couldn’t start up the TV once without having to deselect and select the Atmos Mode in Settings, to get constant sound.

It might come back and I don’t have any explanation for it, but if you guys are as desperate as me about this you probably want to give it a try.

I have both my Frame TV and Sonos Arc on the LAN on the latest firmware 1460.9 but i had the issue continue after the update. However, i retoggled the EARC setting to Off and Auto and since then the issue has not returned even when turned off for a while. We will see later today when I switch back on. If the issue returns I will try a full reset of the TV just to make sure the firmware update hasnt fixed it. I spoke to Samsung and they assured me that they are still working on a fix.

I think you need to email the CEO of Samsung, not Sonos. You’ll probably need to brush up on your Korean.

At this point nobody’s sure where the problem lies. There have been report with other TV model as well: Sony, LG, etc.

Other threads have been describing similar issue:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The part I'm most baffled by is the fact it worked for 10 minutes or so.

Very frustrating. 

Could the TV have taken a firmware update during those ten minutes? We know that the newest LG firmware for the C9 causes problems with the Sonos Arc.

I have the latest Sonos and Samsung software updates for my Arc and Q95T 55”. (1403.1 and 12.2.1) Things were working fine with no dropouts for about a week or so after doing the software upgrade. For the last week or so, my habits were turning on the Samsung TV (the Apple TV came on as well automatically because of eARC) and I started playing music using the Apple TV or watch shows with it. No problems at all. But last night I had the dreaded sound drop outs reappear when turning the TV on.

The only difference this time, I was using the Arc for streaming music through the Sonos app (not using the TV or Apple TV) then after a while of streaming music, I turned on the TV to watch a show on Netflix and this was when the cutting in and out problem started. I don't know if this just a coincidence or a reason why the sound cuts in and out. Stream music first, no TV on, then turn TV on, the sound cuts in and out. Turn TV on first, play music, no dropouts. 

Userlevel 1

Was able to get Sonos to apply the patch about 24 hours ago.  My setup is a QLED Frame TV 2020 (55 inch) LS03T and a Sonos Arc + Sub.  Upon applying the patch, the audio cut-out issue has NOT occurred once.  I have eARC and Atoms enabled on the TV and tested various sound profiles via appls on the TV (Atomos, 5.1, TrueHD, etc.) everything sounds great.  When Atmos is playing, the Sonos app properly reflects it.  I’ll update here every few days but so far so good.

Where are you and what steps did you have to go through? - last time I contacted support they had no idea and refused to do anything (that was about a week ago). I’m in the US…...I’ve seen people from the UK getting the update. Fingers crossed it keeps working for you!

I’m in the US.  It took 4 or 5 calls to finally get traction.  On my last call, the support agent escalated me to a supervisor appointment, where I was able to schedule a call with a supervisor/engineer.  Once I was on the call with that individual, they were able to diagnose and apply the patch without any issue. 

If Sonos has indeed followed the specifications for eARC connections, what is it you’re hoping for Sonos to do? The Arc certainly seems to work on all other eARC connections across all appropriate TV sets and even on other TVs from Samsung,  which leads me to think (no proof, just logic) that the implementation of the eARC spec isn’t correct on the Samsung Frame itself. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Has anyone had the patch installed by Sonos and it didn’t fix the issue at all? That’s what has happened to me.

Hi, Spider21. I would get back in contact with Customer Support about it. Just make sure the patch has been applied, though. In your SONOS 2 app, select System | System Updates | Check for Updates. The patch may have been deployed to your SONOS, but not applied.

This is happening to me on my LG C9 TV with Apple TV 4K and the Arc.  

With no pattern that I can establish, I will sometimes start a show with the Apple TV and get no sound. The Sonos app shows “no signal.” By adjusting the LG TV sound settings to flip eARC off then on again, the sound always comes back immediately, and continues to perform well, generally for days.

I’ve never seen it go out during a show. Only after a period of non-use. This does not happen every time. And it seems to happen for Atmos, 5.1, and stereo content alike.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the q95t and I have my Arc wired straight into hdmi 3 (eARC) the Arc only shows the Arc as a HDMI Receiver as opposed to Receiver eARC - I have a horrible audio delay when using Atmos on my Xbox One X and I think a possible fix could be to enable audio pass through on the TV but this is only possible on eARC devices, which for some reason it doesn't seem to think the Arc is.

For those of you who’ve had the *070 beta patch installed by support:

When you claim “it works” could you provide i bit more detail? Have any of you tested with lossless Atmos audio from 4K Bluray or a downloaded movie? Setting earc to auto on my Samsung the frame 2020 and playing lossless atmos will trigger the sound dropping off completely for 2-3 seconds about every half hour. At least that is my experience when I tested with a 4K HDR movie with lossless Atmos (I have tested 5 different movies total). 

At the moment, I keep earc off. Then I have no issues for 95% of my family media consumption and only set earc to auto when I want to watch a 4K Bluray movie with lossless atmos. For Netflix and the other streaming services I get atmos without earc enabled as the audio signal is compressed (has been discussed extensively in this thread). 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

just a quick update. I was still having issues with sound dropping out for a second every 45 minutes or so, but after I have opdated The Frame’s software to version 2102.2, it seems like the problem is finally solved.

Will make an update if the problem comes back.

It is version 2101.2, not 2102.2. 

This is happening to me on my LG C9 TV with Apple TV 4K and the Arc.  

With no pattern that I can establish, I will sometimes start a show with the Apple TV and get no sound. The Sonos app shows “no signal.” By adjusting the LG TV sound settings to flip eARC off then on again, the sound always comes back immediately, and continues to perform well, generally for days.

I’ve never seen it go out during a show. Only after a period of non-use. This does not happen every time. And it seems to happen for Atmos, 5.1, and stereo content alike.

The latest C9 firmware v04.80.03 supports the multichannel LPCM codec, which by default is in use by Apple TV 4K .. but not (yet) the Sonos Arc.

The answer is to change the sound out codec on Apple TV … I have the C9 TV and for most other devices it works well and in particular, it’s own built-in Apps for Netflix, Prime Movies, Disney+, Rakuten and ATV+ etc; all work fine and each support DD+ (Atmos).

Sonos have indicated the Arc will go onto support the multichannel LPCM codec at some stage this year. It appears LG are just slightly ahead of things with these matters.

Badge

Hello, has this issue been solved since then? I have a Samsung Frame 2021, and considering to buy a Sonos Arc, so I’d like to make sure I won’t have any issue. Thanks for your answer. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Has anyone heard any indication that this release will be pushed to the general public anytime soon?  I’m tired of having to turn my Sonos off all the time but I also don’t have three hours to spend on the phone with tech support.

This patch obviously works and I don’t understand why it hasn’t been released.

exactly my words. Why not generally release the update ? Is there a compromise with other functionalities with this patch ?

Brand new QN90A and having the same issue. Would love to get info on this patch mentioned earlier in the thread.

Just spoken to the Samsung UK support team, apparently it's in the works with the engineering team and I'll be notified by e-mail when it's ready.

The US version won't work with the UK sets as thought so best to avoid that.

It's supposed to be ready by the end of October, but this is tentative as no further updates as of yet from HO.

Userlevel 2

I have a 2019 65” Frame and a Beam. Does this mean there is no point in upgrading to an Arc because I will just have problems?

Tried the below samsung frame 2020 doesnt work

Settings

- Support

- Device Care

- Self Diagnosis

- Sound Test

An update from me - We have a 2020 50” Frame and a Sonos Arc, Sub and 2x 1’s in a surround setup.  

We had the intermittent switching between HDMI and eARC which was only resolved by unplugging and re-plugging the cables which was a royal PITA.

I downloaded the firmware update onto USB despite the telly saying it had the latest version.  Plugged in the USB, manually forced the update which it said it was already in place and sat back to see what happened.

After a unplug, count to 10 and re-plug all the systems back in it’s worked perfectly since then.  I also have an xbox plugged into HDMI and we’ve had no issues whichever system we’ve used since.  

We’re using all the standard cables, nothing special.

How did you “manually force(d) the update” on the samsung TV, it looks like i have 1460 and I have 1460.9 firmware on the USB stick but the TV is stating it already has the latest firmware.

Thanks!

Badge

Hi all, same issues here with Samsung The Frame 55” 2020 with eArc

When I contacted support 2 times in 24 hours they put through the process of troubleshooting I requested the patch but was not able to get it from them.

Its annoying having to power cycle the Arc every 2 days not to mention trying to play dolby atmos using earc on my Samsung the frame 2020 will trigger the sound dropping off completely for 2-3 every 30 minutes or so.

@Ditte or support can you help getting the patch? 

case number 02560667

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

Same issue - literally just opened and set up a brand new 55” Samsung Frame 2020 and a brand new Sonos Arc. Incredible that this mismatch can get through, potentially costing Consumers thousands and wasting even more in returns and damaged products. I wait in anticipation for the fix @Ditte

garethtcollins,

• Do you use the Sonos S2 app ?
  • Could you tell us what your ARC HW version is ? ( It is also stated under “About My System” in the Sonos App)

Thanks,

Yes, the gold one. 

Arc HW version 1.27.1.8-2.1

I'll hold off on putting the flags out then if the issue may still crop up. 

That makes it an even stranger bug though. Clearly the two can communicate with each other and produce flawless Dolby Atmos as I'm getting now. But then something must happen to break that. It seems time is a factor.... Could it be some memory buffer that is getting filled but not flushed properly and over time this manifests to the point where the balance is tipped and it overflows? I bet it's something really small and insignificant anyway; it must be the accumulation of a small error rather than the error itself as the units can play happily together for some time. 

That is what I see