Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Version 1497.0 is out now in EMEA. I’ll get it installed and will give feedback later on.
Anyone else tried this update ?

Userlevel 1

According to this thread on the Samsung site, a fix is in progress but no ETA.  Recommend you voice your urgency there as well:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/potential-major-issue-with-2020-samsung-tv-s-with-one-connect/td-p/1857527/page/2

Sounds interesting. They just updated 9 hours ago and said Samsung will be coming out with a softward update, not timeline though. 

Yet another +1 on this topic.  I was running an older Samsung TV and an older Sonos setup.  I decided to treat myself over the holidays and upgraded both - Samsung Frame TV and Sonos Arc + 2 surrounds.  I installed the Arc and the surrounds a few weeks ago and everything worked perfect with the older Samsung TV (using eArc as well, oddly).  Then yesterday finally got around to upgrading the TV and everything went to hell.  The sound cuts out every few seconds and I’ve tried changing all the settings to no avail.  Now that I see what a widespread problem this is, it’s nuts.  I’m going to try what Nzd31155 just suggested and see if that works.

if the ‘check for updates’ is greyed out - quite the apps so you’re just on normal tv - that took me 20 mins to work out!

Is there somewhere we can get the patch from without going through support?

Badge

The contact from the Sonos escalation team  called me today at the agreed time and walked me through some steps to allow him to patch the arc.  Was able to play Atmos content after, of course this is no guarantee given the intermittent issue.  He was very clear at the outset that this is a Samsung HDMI compliance issue and that this is a temporary fix while Samsung fix it.  Will let you know if I get any issues but so far so good.

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

I had the same problem the only other thing I had hooked up to the tv was a blue ray player once I diconecter the blueray everything worked fine no more cutting out. When my audio was cutting in and out the tv kept switching between tv speakers and Sonos arc

Quick update. I got the firmware update installed on the Samsung. Problem was my USB stick was formatted for MacOS. I reformatted it to Fat32 and was able to use the update.

I’m now able to enable eARC mode on the Samsung Frame 55. 

I’m now experiencing the sound cut-out issue. Every second, the sound from the Sonos cuts out for half a second or so. :( If I unplug the power from the Arc, it fixes the issue for an hour, or up to 12 hours; then the sound cut-out issue comes back.

Sonos Arc – Latest Sonos firmware

Samsung Frame 55 2020 – version 1402

HDMI-eARC Mode: Auto

Dolby Atmos Compatibility: On

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Ditte , is this separate from the Samsung/Sonos issue where roughly 20 to 30 minutes the audio cuts out for split second but come back? You can see my previous posts on the issue (and it is on a 2020 TV, mine is a Q90T).

Does the team consider it related? I know others have seen this as well (e.g. it shows up periodically in the Sonos and/or 4KTV subreddits).

Love to know what is involved to help.

Related to this amd atmos.  When I stream jack ryan series from Amazon I get Dolby atmos connection as described.  There are other UHD movies I have purchased on Amazon that I believe are also Atmos but they say Dolby 5.1 PCM. 

I know it works with at least jack ryan. Is there a trick or something I am missing. Or is it there is limited atmos content available 

This started happening again tonight 

I also have The Frame 65” along with the Sonos Arc and cannot get any sound to play through the Sonos when I switch on eARC. Watching this thread closely for suggestions to get it working!

Update from 75” Samsung Q8DT (Q80T):

So a couple of things I noticed. I recently got the new Xbox Series X and it seems to be performing much better than before. I also upgraded to the NOV 07,2020  |  ver 1403.1  |  1579.28 MB release on my TV. Again it’s not perfect and there will still be drops when playing atmos but it’s greatly improved. 

Brilliant - here’s my chat….

Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:21 PM): Hey there! I'm the Sonos Assistant.
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:22 PM): Are you here to ask about an open case?
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:24 PM): Menu Options:
    Yes
    No
null (1/22/2021, 2:35:25 PM): Yes
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:28 PM): Got it. And what's the 8 digit Sonos case number?
null (1/22/2021, 2:35:39 PM): 02549702
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:42 PM): And can I have please have the email address associated with the case?
null (1/22/2021, 2:35:47 PM): edelkamp1979@comcast.net
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:53 PM): Thanks.
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:54 PM): Thanks, I'm transferring you to a live rep now.
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:38:41 PM): Hi , How are you doing? I hope everything is good. Please allow me a few minutes to catch up on the details you provided
null (1/22/2021, 2:38:52 PM): Absolutely
null (1/22/2021, 2:39:10 PM): My exact issue (and apparently a fix) is below:
null (1/22/2021, 2:39:27 PM): https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-samsung-frame-tv-earc-not-working-6842523
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:43:16 PM): Thank you for the information.
For now we haven't got any updates from un engineers about the issue.
But Since you are part of the beta program with new updates released Software.
Hoping that one of these new updates from the program will get the issue fix.
null (1/22/2021, 2:44:33 PM): did you look at my link? YOUR community manager said to reach out if we want to help test the fix
null (1/22/2021, 2:45:01 PM): posted by Ditte
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:46:18 PM): Quoting: If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.
From the link you send.
null (1/22/2021, 2:46:46 PM): Yes -and I am willing to test and I'd like the hotfix applied
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:47:35 PM): This would be to join the beta program, which has software updates not realized.
To join the  beta program, please follow this article:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2967?language=en_US
null (1/22/2021, 2:48:12 PM): She says nothing about the beta program (I AM a part of your beta program)
null (1/22/2021, 2:49:11 PM): ...and your beta program hasn't sent out anything regarding this
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:50:11 PM): In that case, if the update from the beta program hasn't released the update regarding your issue unfortunately we will have to wait until it's released, and then tested by you guys.
null (1/22/2021, 2:51:29 PM): Then why on earth is Ditte, your community manager, posting on the open/public forum and inviting any1 experiencing the issue to test it?
null (1/22/2021, 2:52:23 PM): telling us to reach out to YOU
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:53:29 PM): I don't know the reason.
But I guess he was/is hoping the patch referring to the issue you are going through would be released soon enough so you guys would have it fixed.
But for now, we haven't got any updates from our engineers.
null (1/22/2021, 2:53:56 PM): Very helpful . thank you. Have a nice day.

lol. Amazing. Thanks for posting this. Love the last line, very helpful indeed. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I’d like to help with testing and/or receive a fix for the issues being experienced.

We’ve had the sound either completely cutting out or causing “stuttering” (both cases requiring a restart) for the last 7 months now.

Our TV is a 2020 model Samsung Frame 55”.

I think this started happening again tonight 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Let me know If I can do anything else to help. 

Im also curious if they changed the update at all, to include that change. From what Ive been told from my live logs, to Samsung, they may, use that as a proposed fix for some upcoming updates. 

Userlevel 1

I have the beta patch downloaded onto my Arc and it seems to work, so it’s bad that the service support guy (Hugo G) doesn’t have a clue about it. The patch ends in 070 and when downloaded onto the Arc it helps to eliminate the e-arc issues caused by Samsung 2020 frame TV’s . The patch is only a temporary fixeront Sonos  but at the speed Samsung work it is likely to be a permanent thing. Samsung are showing no interest in fixing the issue each update they have produced has made no difference. Useless company 

Hi all, I have a 2019 Frame TV (I think just ARC, not eARC). Do any of you know whether the issues described above happen with this slightly older TV?

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Alright so I've updated to the newest Sonos version (it now says Version 13.0 in the app under System → About my system). I’ve updated my “The Frame” Samsung TV to 1497.0 (in EMEA). I’ve done testing all evening. Turned off the TV several times now.
This version seems to be working WITHOUT any cutting sound now.

The only issue I have is that Netflix doesn't understand that I want use “Atmos” and not 5.1 watching it on my AppleTV4K. AppleTV+ works fine with Atmos, so it can output Atmos without any cutting sound.

Anyone else seeing this as well ? I wonder if this is part of some feedback compromise, Samsung and Sonos made in joint ?

Userlevel 1
Badge

When I watch something in DD+ 5.1, the input now shows the following, whereas before it was showing Dolby Digital Plus 5.1

is that a Good thing? 😂

Userlevel 1

I have Samsung The Frame 2020 with the Sonos Arc. Hdmi earc doesn't work. In the couple of weeks, two engineers came by and they can't solve it. When can I expect a firmware update for this problem? I can now only watch PCM, but I want Dolby Atmos!

Hello again,

i have read that the hd fury Can solved this issus sounds Cut off please let me know????

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi all, I have a 2019 Frame TV (I think just ARC, not eARC). Do any of you know whether the issues described above happen with this slightly older TV?

Thanks!

No this particular issue is just for the newer ones with EARC 

I've the read the whole thread (and others) but could someone please answer definitively…

Does a 2020 Frame (QE55LS03T) work in regular ARC mode with the Sonos Arc?

i.e. Dolby Atmos DD+ compressed rather than TrueHD uncompressed. None of my intended sources are uncompressed full day DA. Mainly Netflix and Sky Q. I can live with this set up if this works, with the hope that a fix comes later. Or are people still experiencing sound cut outs even when eArc is set to off. 

Why? We'll because to us the art mode features of the Frame are important for where it is to be mounted. I appreciate there are better TVs out there and even other Samsungs that appear to work. 

Frame TV arriving Friday. Stumbled across these issues by accident really. Never thought I'd have to pre check for any compatibility issues before purchasing two products that on paper should work together but hey ho. 

Many thanks. 

Gareth 

@garethtcollins unfortunately not. What I experienced was that it toggled the settings back whoever the Tv was turned off. I like you would have been more than happy to have ok sound as long as it would work. 

Sorry I didn't understand. Could you elaborate? Which setting was toggled and back to what? Have I wrongly assumed that I could just set eArc to off, forget that it isn't full Dolby Atmos and have a set up that works?

So, when I had my error I basically toggled all the settings to off or back to on. See the image below. I tried with having arc on “off” as well as deactivating the Atmos compatibility. 

in the end nothing helped until I tried the fix provided by Samsung I wrote about above. 

I do believe though that if you use an optical cable with the TV to the optical - Arc converter you’ll be fine since you’ll then be sending audio one way only. but that feels wrong when you have such great audio equipment. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Many are blaming Sonos.. but it’s the tv manufacturers. Sony came out with its firmware update that has fixed the issue. You would think   Samsung would do the same.