Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

Version 1497.0 is out now in EMEA. I’ll get it installed and will give feedback later on.
Anyone else tried this update ?

The critical question is if anyone with the patch tried the update. I have the patch, the Arc works like a charm...I’m not willing to update and risk losing the patch’s solution. 

Badge

WOW… There seem to be SO many people having issues with the Frame and Arc.  I have just go the Arc, and I am also struggling to get Atmos to play on anything other than Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime! 

I am getting Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1 showing up, which does sound absolutely amazing, however I can’t help but feel that I am not getting the most out of my very expensive system.  I also don’t really want to have to purchase and Apple 4K box, just to fix an issue that should be working in the first place, as I have been told by Samsung that The Frame is Atmos compatible with Netflix.

Hoping to see some kind of fix soon. 

Today my Samsung Frame auto updated to 1460.9 so I went to the samsung website and can see there is a new file posted: version 1461.0. (I may give that a try this weekend to see if it has the fix)  

Userlevel 7

WOW… There seem to be SO many people having issues with the Frame and Arc.  I have just go the Arc, and I am also struggling to get Atmos to play on anything other than Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime! 

I am getting Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1 showing up, which does sound absolutely amazing, however I can’t help but feel that I am not getting the most out of my very expensive system.  I also don’t really want to have to purchase and Apple 4K box, just to fix an issue that should be working in the first place, as I have been told by Samsung that The Frame is Atmos compatible with Netflix.

There are very few shows on Amazon Prime Video that have Dolby Atmos audio. Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, and Susperia are the few that I am aware of. Multichannel PCM 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 is the best you will get from the other shows/films. Test Disney+ or Netflix (with a premium subscription) since they both have MUCH more Atmos content.

Badge +3

@Ninethirty 

I’m a newb about this stuff since mine hasn’t arrived, but is all the updating able to be done over wifi? Or do you need to use usb to update the Samsungs to 1403.1? Like when I unbox it and plug it in, will it automatically seek out latest updates or do I need to take action? Thanks!

I’ve got two Arcs both hooked up to Samsung Frame 2020’s (75” in the TV room and 55” in the master bedroom) and am experiencing the same issues with dropouts after 24 hours of the device being turned on. It’s got to the point where my wife has decided to unhook the Arcs until this is fixed. I’m beyond annoyed that I could spend thousands of pounds for market leading devices and they not work together. Is there any rough ETA on a fix for this or do I send the Arcs back for a refund?

Hi Guys,

I am about to buy a Samsung Frame and Sonos Arc. What is the actual problem? Does sound not work at all? I’m not a total HiFi buff so as long as it sounds pretty good I’m happy. But if it doesn’t work i will get another combination. 

Cheers

It simply does not work.  Every day sound stops and starts until you  disconnect the eARC cable or cycle power to the sonos arc.   I have returned two 75 Frame TVs for this reason. 

Hi all, yet another note from the dev team:

We have been working on the ongoing audio problem between the Sonos Arc and several 2020 Samsung TV models. These models support the new eARC connectivity. Samsung TVs prior to and from 2019 do not support eARC and are not seeing this particular problem. Customers will randomly experience a complete loss of audio which requires either the rebooting of the Sonos Arc and/or the rebooting of the Samsung TV. 

If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.

Best,

Ditte

@Ditte I’d love to help, do I just contact my local customer support in Norway or do I need to send in a particular form?

Userlevel 3
Badge

When doing these types of updates, one can always force an HDMI handshake by pulling power on the TV (unplug from the wall outlet) and plugging back in.  I’ve seen that clear up settings that you thought were on, but never made it through to the other device(s).  

I’ve tired that. Still doesn’t work. Can’t turn on eARC

Badge

There are very few shows on Amazon Prime Video that have Dolby Atmos audio. Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, and Susperia are the few that I am aware of. Multichannel PCM 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 is the best you will get from the other shows/films. Test Disney+ or Netflix (with a premium subscription) since they both have MUCH more Atmos content.

I have tried Netflix (I have the top subscription) and Disney+, but they are both only playing in Multichannel PCM 5.1.  There is definitely an issue somewhere, just not sure who the fault lies with.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Think about gettin the q90t and return the q95t...unbelievable that we have to deal with these problems...

Confirmed 1460.9 does not fix it.  I used to be able to unplug Arc power and plug it back in, but even that isn't enough now.  I now have to unplug power and HDMI from Arc, plug power back in and then HDMI and it seems to fix it until the next day.

Has anyone gotten the frame to work eARC to another brand of receiver and sound speakers?

Userlevel 7

@nickpphoto What are your TV’s audio settings set to? Do you have the Streaming Quality on your Netflix account set to High or Auto?

I found a workaround: I deactivate Anynet. Then I use only the TV speakers, which I prefer with the usual TV stuff, which is mainly talks, where IMHO the Arc does not a good job. If there is a movie, where I want to have the full sound, I activate Anynet, and the Arc drops in with no sound issues. This issue only appears, if the TV is switched on with activated Anynet.

If Anynet always stays activated, it just needs to toggle the Dolby Atmos setting. Neither the status itself, nor the eARC setting has an impact.

Userlevel 1

Same here. No luck.

Posted on here a month ago.  Had just purchase The Frame 75” and was about to purchase Arc but found this forum.   No one from Sonos responded so I purchased the HW-Q90R Samsung Harman Kardon 7.1.4ch Soundbar with Dolby Atmos.  Hooked it up and worked perfectly.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

EDIT: I tested the firmware for about 5 minutes and everything seemed fine, with eARC NOT cutting the sound. I will continue testing further tonight around 7pm CET.

My experience with the Samsung Firmware update (on a Samsung Frame 2020 65”) to 1460.9 is that it at least fixed part of my problem. 

Previously when putting eARC to auto would totally block any sound coming out of the Sonos ARC. (eARC had to be switched off). After the update today it is possible to have it set on auto.

As I rebooted everything after the firmware update I am not able to tell whether the intermittent sound is also gone. However, what worked for me to fix that without having to unplug cables was to go to Settings>Audio>Advanced Settings and then toggle Dolby Atmos compatibility off and back on again. After that I am able to watch without any sound problems (including Dolby Atmos content) as long as the system does not go into stand-by mode.

Don't know if it matters: my TV is connected to LAN, Sonos ARC is connected to wifi.
I am using the HDMI cable that was delivered by Sonos with my ARC.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

A quick update: I had a phone call with a Sonos support agent.

They confirmed that:

• It is a known issue and they are very well aware of it. Right now it has a quite high priority (but not sure to what extend).
  • They are in contact with Samsung. Sonos engineers is saying that the issue is on Samsung side: they haven’t implemented the eARC specification in compliance
  • Sonos engineering team is working on a workaround/hotfix. No timeline yet, but the agent told me that he would have some updates soon. I’ll reach back to him in 1-2 weeks and see the progress.

Please take some time to create a support ticket on Samsung side so that our issue is raised and prioritized properly.

Thanks!

inewsial, do you have any news from your tech guy ?

Thanks,

I am able to help with this issue as well. 

Setup:

75” Samsung Q8DT (Q80T)

Software Version: 1460.9

Sonos ARC connected 

Devices connected to tv:

Xbox Series X

PlayStation 5

Nvidia Shield TV

Awakelion 5 in 1 out 4k HDMI Switch

Issues:

Sound (ATMOS) will cut out every 30 minutes for 1-2 seconds

Sound (ATMOS) will cut out completely requiring reboot of TV or sonos or disabling and enabling ATOMS

Issues with PCM passthrough for Nintendo Switch 5.1

Userlevel 2

Hello again,

i have read that the hd fury Can solved this issus sounds Cut off please let me know????

Try unplugging the power to the Arc and plugging it back in. Leave all the settings on auto including EARC. Worked for me for now, and better than spending $300 on another piece of tech.  

I ordered an HDFury Arcana and it arrived today.  It worked right out of the box, plug and play with my 2020 Frame TV and Sonos Arc, without any special configuration needed.   For me, it was an easy decision to spend $200 to fix this issue instead of spending countless hours reading forums and stressing about possible updates, etc.  I would have gladly spent even more than that to buy a Sonos Arc or Frame TV that just works.  I totally understand the frustration about it being expensive though.

The Arcana seems to have resolved the sound cutting in and out, at least for now, and I will keep an eye on it over the coming days.  Best of all, it also resolved the lip sync issues I was having, where the video was before the sound.  I only need one HDMI input, for my cable box, so I’m not concerned about being limited to only the single HDMI input.

Also, the Samsung built-in TV apps like Disney+, etc., still work perfectly fine.  Somehow the Arcana knows when you’re using these and automatically switches the input to the TV through HDMI ARC.  Pretty impressive.

Now I’m just hoping this works as a long term solution.

I too have bought the HD Fury Arcana but I cannot get it to work.  How have you set this up with your Frame TV?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Ok. So I had the patch installed yesterday. Cudos to Sonos support who recognised the problem and organised the patch quickly. It seemed to work. I went about doing what I normally did to reproduce the issue: no problems. However. There was one occasion, right in the middle of watching a program on Prime, when audio dropped right out. Just dropped out. Flipped over to TV, ok. Netflix, no audio. Turned off TV, back on, all good again. Maybe this was just a glitch, not sure. I’ll keep monitoring. If the problem’s still there, I expect Sonos will be on it. 

I had a problem with the sonos arc not working after turning off the TV. The sound would flicker on /off and I had to unplug arc to reset it to have it work.

I turned off "instant on" under the hidden menu of the TV to cure another issue where the wifi drops after turning off TV. Turns out, it fixed both issues!

Enter the hidden menu with old Samsung remote(look online for instructions) or ask the Samsung help line to turn off "instant on"

Has anyone else tried this? Would love some feedback before I begin a new installation next week with a 2020 Frame 65. Is the TV sound adequate if eARC issues dissuade me from going with a soundbar?  Curious if this affects the Art Mode sensor turning on. 

Prefacing this by saying I’ve already downloaded the firmware update from Samsung’s website and installed it via USB and gotten the patch from Sonos support. Neither permanently fixed this issue.

I bought a remote control off Amazon specifically to access the secret menu and turn off instant on (first just one instant on and then both instant on settings- second was “smart instant on”) and still got issues. Seems to most often act up on the native Samsung HBO Max app.

I hooked up a 4k Apple TV and it seemed like, after almost a full year of this headache, it FINALLY fixed my problem! 

Two days later, the sound is going out every 20 minutes while I’m watching a movie. 

I just caved and dropped $200 on the HDFury Arcana. Fingers crossed it fixes it for good, but would be REALLY GREAT if Sonos/Samsung could find a way to work together on this!

First time posting in this thread after reading it obsessively for a year hoping for answers. Will definitely post an update if the Arcana solves the problem. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Was able to get Sonos to apply the patch about 24 hours ago.  My setup is a QLED Frame TV 2020 (55 inch) LS03T and a Sonos Arc + Sub.  Upon applying the patch, the audio cut-out issue has NOT occurred once.  I have eARC and Atoms enabled on the TV and tested various sound profiles via appls on the TV (Atomos, 5.1, TrueHD, etc.) everything sounds great.  When Atmos is playing, the Sonos app properly reflects it.  I’ll update here every few days but so far so good.

Where are you and what steps did you have to go through? - last time I contacted support they had no idea and refused to do anything (that was about a week ago). I’m in the US…...I’ve seen people from the UK getting the update. Fingers crossed it keeps working for you!

I had a problem with the sonos arc not working after turning off the TV. The sound would flicker on /off and I had to unplug arc to reset it to have it work.

I turned off "instant on" under the hidden menu of the TV to cure another issue where the wifi drops after turning off TV. Turns out, it fixed both issues!

Enter the hidden menu with old Samsung remote(look online for instructions) or ask the Samsung help line to turn off "instant on"

Has anyone else tried this? Would love some feedback before I begin a new installation next week with a 2020 Frame 65. Is the TV sound adequate if eARC issues dissuade me from going with a soundbar?  Curious if this affects the Art Mode sensor turning on.