Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post

668 replies

I just installed the recent Sonos update (12.01) and now I can get sound through e-Arc mode for the first time. Not sure if the update was specifically to address this issue though.

This isn’t solved for me on my Q8DT (Q80T). If you really want the frame, I would not recommend pairing it with the Sonos ARC if you want ATMOS. If you want the Sonos ARC then I wouldn’t get a Samsung. 

Samsung support is clueless. Sonos support has been good and they acknowledge that it is a Samsung issue. Samsung doesn’t acknowledge the issue at all from the support folks I talked to. 

I contacted Sonos via the online chat and it took all of 5 minutes to have the patch applied, stated I had a frame and an arc and that I was aware the engineers had a patch available, they applied the patch straight away without any further questions. So now the problem has gone, however I have noticed that if I stream at is content the atmos logo doesn’t appear in the Sonos app. Has anyone else with the patch experienced this, is it possible that the patch disables atmos and that’s the temporary fix?

Userlevel 1
Badge

just4info:

There’s a new firmware upgrade on the Samsung support page for the q90t/q95t series...1302.4..dated 14.07.

dont know if it solves any problems, didn’t find the time to update yet..

No, it doesn't solve the problem. I've installed it.

Ah bugger! My new Q90T arrives Thursday.

Badge +3

@henry.2020 @Eliascorp @Badc5 @mdavid584 

Have any of you tried the eARC on the actual TV as opposed to the One Connect? That make a difference?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Which problem? The cut outs or the earc no sound issue?

I’m in Canada and did the Samsung firmware update with a USB drive and it worked fine.  The EARC auto setting now works fine, but I still get the audio cutting in and out issue.  This was happening about 1 in 5 times I would turn on the TV and unplugging the Arc from power and plugging it back in always fixes it.

Have any of you tried the eARC on the actual TV as opposed to the One Connect? That make a difference?

The TV doesn’t have any inputs, if I’m not mistaken.   They’re all on the one connect box. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Which problem? The cut outs or the earc no sound issue?

I’m more interested in cut out issues now as earc will work on q90t

I have the same issue with my Samsung Frame TV 2020 (75”) and Sonos Arc. The Sound get garbled every morning but once i unplug and put it back in, i will not have any issue all day. Can you please look into this urgently?

Userlevel 3

This is lack of my knowledge, but are we still getting Dolby Atmos sound when HDMI eARC is off? Because I played a Atmos compatible movie and on the Sonos app the Dolby Atmos symbol came up 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am having this same issue on my 2021 Samsung Frame TV and Beam gen 2. Sometimes I get no sound when the TV turns on, sometimes it connects to the Beam but via ARC not eARC, sometimes the TV speakers come on and go off in a loop, but no sound from the Beam G2.

I have tried the various solutions, but nothing works. The only fix is power cycling the TV. Which is a pain.

I don’t see Samsung and Sonos “working together” for a solution. Not only would this be illegal (at least in North America), but Samsung has no reason to work on it. Samsung and Sonos are competitors in the soundbar market. Samsung’s solution is easy - buy a Samsung soundbar - problem solved.

Sonos is the only one that can solve this, they don’t sell TV’s, If their TV add on soundbar don’t work properly with one of the largest manufacturers of TV’s in the world, then Sonos has a problem, not Samsung. Pointing fingers won’t solve the issue.

I will continue to search for a solution, but this issue is squarely in Sonos’s court.

I am surprised there is no fix for this yet. I have the same problem on the Arc with the 65” Frame TV. Wish I saw this thread before I made the purchase. Crazy that I have to tune on/off the Dolby Atmos Compatibility to fix the issue every time. I am surprised that it worked without any issues for 2 weeks. Felt like updating to the latest Samsung software version 1403, it started this mess every time I turn it off and turn it on. 

I experience the exact same thing with „The Frame“ in combination with Sonos ARC. Both Samsung and Sonos confirmed independently today that the issue is known to them and they are working to solve it. However, no timeline can be communicated. Pretty annoying indeed. 

Userlevel 1

FIXED!

After hours on the phone with both Samsung and Sonos here's what we did to resolve this:

1) Ensure you're using an HDMI ARC cable. Not simply an HDMI cable. (My A/V guys used a standard HDMI cable and this was problem #1) Must be the Sonos (or other) specific HDMI Arc cable

2) Your TV should then recognize HDMI as an available audio output - Select Receiver (HDMI) as Sound Output

3) Settings -> Sound -> Expert Settings -> Turn HDMI-eARC Mode to "OFF"!

Voila. This should work.

Apparently, Samsung is not yet supporting Dolby Digital Plus but when you turn HDMI-eARC OFF (and are only using HDMI ARC) you are still getting Dolby 5.1 sound, which is still great. Unless you're using some particular gaming console, this audio quality should be sufficient. Sonos said that Samsung is workong on supporting this new full Dolby Digital Plus and are good about updates so hopefully that will come soon. For now, this should work.

Hope that helps and my hours spent troubleshooting today are helpful to someone else.

I mean sure, that works to give 5.1 surround or whatever it is, but the whole point of spending $3,000+ on the full system if ATMOS isnt WORKING!

@Ditte can you provide an update here? This thread is 3 months old and I’m sitting on about $4000 of high-end stuff that looks good, but doesn’t work. 

Surprised to see all these comments still. I have 75” Frame and had same issues early on where the sound wouldn’t work. Last year I called Sonos service - I explained the situation, they were very much aware of the issue, and helped apply a patch over the air. I have not had any issues with connectivity since then.

They told me not to do any of the firmware updates or the patch will be removed, so I haven’t done any and it’s been working fine. Haven’t updated the Sonos firmware in about a year…

I just got off the phone with support and we appeared to resolve the issue that might be helpful. When running the diagnosis there was a lot of wifi interference with my new Netgear Orbi router because the channel was set to “AUTO”. You need to log into your router and change the router channel to either 1,6 or 11. That appears to have solved it...for now. 

Badge

I got the Sonos Arc about a week ago. Could not get the audio in sync with LG OLED B7V and Nvidia Shield. Ended up buying the new Samsung QN95A. Finally the audio is in sync, but then there is this new problem with audi cutting out. 
Just watched a 4k movie with Dolby Atmos via Nvidia Shield / Plex. Audio cuts out every 10-15 minutes for a couple of seconds. Sometimes every other minute, sometimes it lasts 30 minutes+ without cutting out. I have also experienced sound drops on non Atmos content.
Sound settings in Passhtrough.
When in Auto, it seems to not drop out that often, but in stead the noise “breaks” just a tiny bit in parts of the movie.

Super annoying having spent so much money first on the Arc, then on a brand new TV.
Not sure which firmware I am on, but my Sonos is up to date. And I ran the downloader on the new TV today.
Really hoping for a fix.

Userlevel 1

I have the same issue, with The Frame 2020 and Sonos Arc. No sound when eArc setting is set to Auto. Samsung customer support could not help me. They did a HDMI reset and a factory reset, but nothing changed.

Any update on this?

Contacted (German) support today by chat. They were directly aware of the topicbut had to forward that topic internally. Now I am waiting for feedback by mail. Hope I will get the fix and can test. Family very unhappy with current situation...

Userlevel 1
Badge

First cutouts noted today..had to power off the sonos arc..then it worked again...weird..

Badge +3

The TV doesn’t have any inputs, if I’m not mistaken.   They’re all on the one connect box. 

I don’t have mine yet, but I thought a support person at Samsung told me it has a direct one on the TV? Hmm

Hi all,

A quick note from our dev team:

We are aware and monitoring an issue when connecting Sonos Arc to late model Samsung TVs via eARC. We are working closely with Samsung to resolve this and will share more as available.

All the best,

Ditte

I’m still having this same issue. I’m tired of contacting customer support and going through the same troubleshooting steps. It’s obviously a problem for everyone that has this setup and very frustrating that four months later, there is still no fix

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m also experiencing what I believe to be connection issues between the Sonos Arc and a 2020 model Samsung Frame 55”.

I’ve spent considerable time speaking to both Sonos and Samsung support and neither have been particularly helpful. The Samsung support in particular has been a criminal waste of time, as the only thing they know how to suggest is that you turn off/on or “factory reset” your TV.

After much trial and error the only way I found I could get the TV/Arc to “connect” was by power cycling both the TV and Arc.

However I’ve recently noticed that if I have the TV on, then switch to play music on the Arc, I am unable to toggle the Arc back to playing the TV sound again unless I again power cycle both the TV & Arc.

I never had this problem in the past with an older model Sony TV, optical connection and the Sonos Playbar.

I’m not sure if this is an eArc issue, a Samsung issue, a Sonos issue or a V2 App issue, but it is a huge functionality regression.

**Edit** - Now I’m struggling to replicate this, I experienced it organically a couple of times over the weekend but in typical fashion I couldn’t replicate when I called support. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Well put. I’m having the same problem. I was on the phone with a Sonos first-level support rep last month. He took me through a series of checks and basically confirmed ever was set up as it should be.

I have the Frame 2020 65” connected to an Arc via eArc capable HDMI cable. Audio drops out when switching from, say, Terrestrial TV to Netflix, or waking the TV from Art mode. Like others, the only way to correct this was by power cycling both devices at the wall switch. Needless to say, what a pain in the a$$!  So far I’ve managed to fend off my wife’s assertion to return the lot for a refund, but my defences are weakening.