Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I contacted Sonos via the online chat and it took all of 5 minutes to have the patch applied, stated I had a frame and an arc and that I was aware the engineers had a patch available, they applied the patch straight away without any further questions. So now the problem has gone, however I have noticed that if I stream at is content the atmos logo doesn’t appear in the Sonos app. Has anyone else with the patch experienced this, is it possible that the patch disables atmos and that’s the temporary fix?

That’s the first time anyone has mentioned this.  I certainly hope this isn’t the case.  I only purchased the Arc because it DOES support Atmos.  Have you looked at the detailed screen of the app when playing Atmos content to see what’s listed there?

So doesn’t appear to be a fix for the problem at all. I hope it’s not downgrading the ability to view Atmos content. That would really be an issue for me and consumers generally. 

I had a problem with the sonos arc not working after turning off the TV. The sound would flicker on /off and I had to unplug arc to reset it to have it work.

I turned off "instant on" under the hidden menu of the TV to cure another issue where the wifi drops after turning off TV. Turns out, it fixed both issues!

Enter the hidden menu with old Samsung remote(look online for instructions) or ask the Samsung help line to turn off "instant on"

Has anyone else tried this? Would love some feedback before I begin a new installation next week with a 2020 Frame 65. Is the TV sound adequate if eARC issues dissuade me from going with a soundbar?  Curious if this affects the Art Mode sensor turning on. 

Prefacing this by saying I’ve already downloaded the firmware update from Samsung’s website and installed it via USB and gotten the patch from Sonos support. Neither permanently fixed this issue.

I bought a remote control off Amazon specifically to access the secret menu and turn off instant on (first just one instant on and then both instant on settings- second was “smart instant on”) and still got issues. Seems to most often act up on the native Samsung HBO Max app.

I hooked up a 4k Apple TV and it seemed like, after almost a full year of this headache, it FINALLY fixed my problem! 

Two days later, the sound is going out every 20 minutes while I’m watching a movie. 

I just caved and dropped $200 on the HDFury Arcana. Fingers crossed it fixes it for good, but would be REALLY GREAT if Sonos/Samsung could find a way to work together on this!

First time posting in this thread after reading it obsessively for a year hoping for answers. Will definitely post an update if the Arcana solves the problem. 

Been looking at the HDFury Arcana as a quick fix for this issue.  Please let us know if it corrects your problem.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello benji89.  I can’t definitively say if this issue has been resolved but I can chime in on my own recent experience.  I have a 75” 2022 Frame TV purchased this past November, and Apple TV 4K (I also have an Xbox X for gaming).  I had 2 HomePods paired with the Apple TV until just this past week I decided to purchase an Arc and Sub G3.

I was concerned about issues with the frame from what I’ve read but figured I’d take the chance and return them if there were any issues.  In my experience so far they have been excellent. They sound far better than I expected and work perfectly with my Xbox.  Of which previously with my Xbox/HomePods/AppleTV/Frame set up I had to turn off Atmos on the Xbox because it created a major lag while gaming.  Apple TV in that set up did work perfectly though.

Only issue that has crept up so far with the Arc is that I’ve had a few times what I would call a slight “freeze” or stutter in the picture (Probably a half second or less). Audio plays perfectly as this happens. The picture just freezes for a half second and then “skips” to the correct spot in sync with the audio again.  It is very slight but noticeable none the less.  Happened while watching Black Mirror on Netflix on the Apple TV as well as a movie rented from the Apple iTunes Store on Apple TV.  Not sure if it is relevant but both were 4K Atmos content.  I would estimate it happened about 4 times during the course of a 2 hour movie.  I am in the process of further testing/troubleshooting of other formats as well.

Here is a link to another thread that I posted regarding the issue.

With that being said I have trouble believing the Arc is causing issues with video.  But I also can’t deny the fact that this crept up once I brought the Arc into the mix either.  Might be a lot of different things such as network etc… and further testing is required.

All in all I do think I will be keeping the Sonos speakers as I love how they sound.  The spatial audio with music is excellent as well as the audio for movies etc…  I can actually turn off subtitles now while watching tv.  I needed subtitles on 90% of the time for the past several years and wish I would have gotten the arc/sub long ago for this reason alone.

I hope this experience helps.

If anyone has some insight into the Stutter issue it’d be most welcome.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Quick update:

q90t sonos arc...earc with no problems whatsoever...since the Samsung firmware upgrade also no cutouts anymore...

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey Guys, a bit of an update from my side… I found this update for Samsung TV ->» Upgrade File(USB type) verze 1402.6 (Multi Language): All OS 2020-10-08

On the forum so far I saw mentioned only 1401.2

And the whole thing seems to be working for a couple of hours now. The only bug I observed that after I added each piece of eco-system (Sub then Surrs), sound cutt off was coming back. I had to restart both TV and Sonos ( Restart means take out power plug).

Please pray and keep fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Nik 

Hey Nik. 
did that update the sub-m to 1006t?

This issue is still ongoing and I’m convinced its a Samsung issue. I’ve tried the arc on every tv in my home and the only one with this issue present is the most expensive one (go figure). I kind of feel like Samsung made these TVs in a way that only their sound bars would plug in and work flawlessly. This is such a ridiculous situation. I just wish there was a way to connect the Arc to the TV wirelessly. At this point I’m sick of fiddling with this mess.

Userlevel 4

Clearly, I am frustrated and a lot of it has to do with the “support” received from Sonos. I just want to speak with someone capable, instead of someone reading from a script. Does anyone have any tips on how to connect with someone who is knowledgeable at Sonos?

I see, that’s not been my experience with their support, but I totally appreciate your frustration.

I can only perhaps suggest you call them back and ask for your case to be escalated to their Tier-2 support level and perhaps have ready a couple of diagnostic reports and maybe even a mobile video of the problem, on-hand to show them the information/problem. Then see if there is anything they can do.

What would also help is, if you have another TV in your household..it might be worth trying the ARC device linked to that aswell, just to see if the same issue persists… if it doesn’t persist, then you might want to speak to Samsung instead.

Sorry I can’t think what else might move your problem forward quickly, other than showing the Staff the issues you are seeing.

I appreciate you taking the time to offer some insight.

Update: called Samsung, they believe the issue is with Sonos. Called Sonos again, did another hour of troubleshooting. No luck. Finally got them to raise the issue to tier 2 and now waiting to hear back from them. 

Hey, please update us on this when you can. I’ve been dealing with this issue for over a year now and and really anxious for any resolution

I have Q95T 55” with the One Connect box, I’m having the same issues as everyone else. Set the TV to eARC “Auto” no sound, set if to “Off” I get sound. If I leave the eARC set to “Off” and then turn on the TV the next day, I get sound cutting/stuttering on and off every 2-3 seconds. So with either setting for eARC on the TV whether it’s “Auto” or “Off” is not working out for me. 

I've the read the whole thread (and others) but could someone please answer definitively…

Does a 2020 Frame (QE55LS03T) work in regular ARC mode with the Sonos Arc?

i.e. Dolby Atmos DD+ compressed rather than TrueHD uncompressed. None of my intended sources are uncompressed full fat Dolby Atmos. Mainly Netflix and Sky Q. I can live with this set up if it works, with the hope that a fix comes later. Or are people still experiencing sound cut outs even when eArc is set to off. 

Why? Welll because to us the art mode features of the Frame are important for where it is to be mounted. I appreciate there are better TVs out there and even other Samsungs that appear to work. 

Frame TV arriving Friday. Stumbled across these issues by accident really. Never thought I'd have to pre check for any compatibility issues before purchasing two products that on paper should work together but hey ho. 

Many thanks. 

Gareth 

Userlevel 1
Badge

In the Sonos app, go to System | About my System. Scroll down. You should see that it’s streaming Atmos. If not, the patch has done something. 

I've the read the whole thread (and others) but could someone please answer definitively…

Does a 2020 Frame (QE55LS03T) work in regular ARC mode with the Sonos Arc?

i.e. Dolby Atmos DD+ compressed rather than TrueHD uncompressed. None of my intended sources are uncompressed full day DA. Mainly Netflix and Sky Q. I can live with this set up if this works, with the hope that a fix comes later. Or are people still experiencing sound cut outs even when eArc is set to off. 

Why? We'll because to us the art mode features of the Frame are important for where it is to be mounted. I appreciate there are better TVs out there and even other Samsungs that appear to work. 

Frame TV arriving Friday. Stumbled across these issues by accident really. Never thought I'd have to pre check for any compatibility issues before purchasing two products that on paper should work together but hey ho. 

Many thanks. 

Gareth 

@garethtcollins unfortunately not. What I experienced was that it toggled the settings back whoever the Tv was turned off. I like you would have been more than happy to have ok sound as long as it would work. 

Confirmed 1460.9 does not fix it.  I used to be able to unplug Arc power and plug it back in, but even that isn't enough now.  I now have to unplug power and HDMI from Arc, plug power back in and then HDMI and it seems to fix it until the next day.

New Sonos arc owner with Samsung frame on the way. Seems like it is a pain to get the two to work together. Do I have the ability to utilize the optical adapter instead of arc HDMI until they resolve the issue? Anyone do this with any issues?

Userlevel 1
Badge

I contacted Sonos via the online chat and it took all of 5 minutes to have the patch applied, stated I had a frame and an arc and that I was aware the engineers had a patch available, they applied the patch straight away without any further questions. So now the problem has gone, however I have noticed that if I stream at is content the atmos logo doesn’t appear in the Sonos app. Has anyone else with the patch experienced this, is it possible that the patch disables atmos and that’s the temporary fix?

That’s the first time anyone has mentioned this.  I certainly hope this isn’t the case.  I only purchased the Arc because it DOES support Atmos.  Have you looked at the detailed screen of the app when playing Atmos content to see what’s listed there?

In the Sonos app, go to System | About my System. Scroll down. You should see that it’s streaming Atmos. If not, the patch has done something. 

I also just received the Sonos Arc + Sub and it is not working with the Frame 2020 50“. The Arc doesn't play any sound at all from the TV, but it obviously works when streaming music from my iPhone on the bar. 

The fun thing is that it was working when I connected it for the first time, but then it felt like the connection is distracted because the sound started to jerk but now it is completely gone. I also bought a new high quality HDMI cable but no change at all.

It really annoys me if you spend so much money on a new TV and Sound system and then it doesn't work. 

I tried a lot of your tipps and tricks but nothing worked so far. Still no sound :(

So is there a fix or no? I am going crazy with this sound cut out issue with my arc and Tu8000. 

I have just been on the phone with Sonos and on chat with Samsung at the same time. Sonos believe the issue is the way Samsung has implemented the eARC in the TV is not to HDMI standard. They are still actively working on a solution with Samsung,

Samsung and sonos have advised to turn off eARC for the time being until a fix is issued… (fix might be returning this tv...) D̶o̶l̶b̶y̶ ̶A̶t̶m̶o̶s̶

Sad. Went away for a couple of days and when I came back sound was cutting in and out on 55” frame (newest firmware) and Sonos Arc. Hadn’t done this type of constant cut-outs during my two weeks of initial testing. Tried setting Earc to off and sound still didn’t come back to normal. Unplugged the Arc and kept everything on the Samsung on Auto. Had sound when it was plugged back in. Guess I’ll be getting a smart plug. If this is indeed an HDMI EArc implementation issue on the 2020 Frame, Samsung should make this right. I have doubts though as I have read people having the same issues with some LG tvs. In my case, the Sonos Arc will go back before the Frame TV. 

So far unplugging and plugging back on has been the only thing that fixed the issues. Thanks for posting this. Please let us know if you make any head way on a solution. Sonos and Samsung fix this!

Userlevel 1

13 days with the patch and have had no issues. Atmos shows up when it’s on. All good. Thanks sonos. 

Same problem here with a Q95T connected to the Sonos Arc. The Arc is not recognized as an EARC device and setting the HDMI-eARC Mode to Auto makes all sound disappear.

Hoping for a swift fix!

I can’t believe Sonos has allowed these issues to continue for so long without offering a fix to the community. I am also experiencing dropped audio with my setup (Samsung Frame TV 2021, Sonos Arc/sub/ikea bookshelf speakers) and have spent hours on the phone with Sonos support - no luck.

I bought these products because I assumed they were of a certain quality but it appears not. Super disappointed.

Badge

This morning I called Sonos hotline (from the Netherlands) and explained my problem with ARC and Frame. The support guy understood and has been aware of the problem. He could not do it himself and created an internal support ticket to escalate to 2nd line. I gave him my sonos account I have registered my systems and now waiting for the patch. My family will be happy once this issue is resolved. The situation has been annoying for such kind of premium device. As IT guy I know to be patient and I am. Hopefully this week I can fully utilize our investment we made last year.

Userlevel 1
Badge

13 days with the patch and have had no issues. Atmos shows up when it’s on. All good. Thanks sonos. 

That’s great. Sounds promising. All’s good here, too. Fingers crossed.

I got the excact same issue. I bought a new Samsung the Frame 65´and Sonos Arc last week. All worked fine for about 2 hours and then the sound problems started. I have tried all different settings and been trying to fix the issue for several hours without any luck. I called Samsung support and they didnt sound like they knew about this issue witch seemed odd to me. As a fix Samsung wants to send me a new cable between the one connect box and the tv. I tried telling that this will not help, but Samsung will send me a new cable anyways. 

If it does not work and Samsung cant answer with a date for a fix for this issue I will deliver the Tv back where I bougt it. 

I had very few issues for the last year with the Arc sound bar and Samsung frame. Now I have this issue also when the setting is on eARC. If I turn it off, I get sound. With eARC on it used to be that we would have a loss of audio about once every couple months and restarting would resolve the issue. Just in the last day the loss of audio has been persistent and requires me to turn eARC off. 

@Marlina - how can I can check it? Thank you very much, Nik