Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

(I just posted this over on the Samsung forum, but it may be helpful to some here)

Well I've held off posting this because I didn't want to jinx it.... But as far as my set up is concerned, everything is working as it should be. 

I have a new Frame 55 inch (QE55LS03T) and a new Arc bought on black Friday. I presume because of the recency of purchase the manufacturing date of each should be recent too, perhaps not but I'll assume it is. 

I am very picky and detail oriented. I've read all the myriad threads about this issue and was dreading connecting the two up to be honest. 

Straight out of the box, as expected, no sound when eArc was set to Auto. 

Updated firmware of both the TV and arc and hey presto! Full Dolby Atmos from the built in Netflix app, I get the correct flag on the Sonos app and the About My System reports it as "Dolby Atmos" with no DD+ in brackets.  I have Sky Q but haven't found any suitable content to test with yet. 

I've had no skips, no problems at all. Being on furlough currently and excited about my new tech means I've pretty much been using it constantly (6 Underground in Atmos. Wow!). 

The TV has been off and on lots. And day to day it's come back on and played correctly without the need to unplug or reset anything. 

I'm really surprised actually and immensely relieved!

I have an Arc and a 2020 Samsung The Frame 65” TV.  Have had same issue since I purchased both in September.  I am pleased to say today it is finally resolved.

I used Sonos Support Chat and asked for the patch referenced in this thread.  Build #61183220

The support agent made me run through some questions and diagnostics.  She then sent a patch to my Sonos different from the one above.  I loaded it and so far (very early hours so far since receiving patch) things are working.  Interestingly enough my patch build # is different and it is build #61185271.

I am based in North Carolina, USA.

This is the same build I had installed, NC. My guess is this is a new build or that user was in a different country. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I can confirm that since the earlier firmware update fixed this issue, the ‘cut out in sound for a few seconds every 30-45 minutes’ is back in business for me, after changing nothing, but unfortunately auto-updating as I've done so many time over the past year. This is indeed EXTREMELY annoying that we still have to bother with this issue.

I would love if Sonos actually made an official statement, saying “THIS” is the issue, so we at least could go to Samsung and claim our money back. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

PS: I am amazed to see this issue continues on the FRAME 2021 version. Does anyone know if it has been resolved on the 2022 version ?

Quick follow-up:  it has been more than two weeks since the patch was installed by Sonos support.  Zero problems since.  Prior to the patch it was unwatchable unlistenable.

I wish Sonos would make the patch generally available.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Jean C. / Sonos

Is there any update with the eARC issue on Samsung / Sonos Arc functionally?

Regards

Frank

hi everyone, i just thought i would share my experience as I have tried two different soundbars.

My tv is samsung 55 inch 2020 frame model. I initially fixed it with samsung 60T soundbar. It worked well . There were no problems of sync issues. it was connected to eArc port. Crucially, i could easily toggle between the TV using soundbar as output sound or the TV itself.

I really wanted dolby atmos with nice bass though so I bought sonos arc, admittedly knowing i could face this issue as i had read this thread before. With sonos, i am facing exactly the same problem as everyone, such as everytime the TV is left for a bit or art mode is enabled it goes back to default setting and it skips audio. My software version is 1460.9 btw. Toggling the HDMI eARC and dolby atmos appears to fix it, but by god, it is frustrating.

But here’s my observation: when this issue happens I can NOT set the sound to TV’s native sound output. everytime i set it to native sound output, it first reverts back to HDMI eARC and then quickly shows HDMI ARC.

I see a few people have come to the conclusion that it is TV’s problem. I am not so sure. I think it is sonos problem as my previous soundbar (admittedly a samsung soundbar) worked fine. it also struggles with HDMI eARC/native tv speaker toggle, which means sonos is constantly sending signal to make itself default and changing the format in that way.

There are plenty of examples in history where companies with great products have failed due to their reluctance of appreciating user experience. I would hate to see sonos moving in that direction - the sound of ARC when playing music is so nice! However, i may have no other option but to return it if it is not fixed in the next 2 weeks of return period.

Userlevel 1

Called the US support team twice, was on with them for 30+ min each time and they had no clue what I was talking about.  Seems like this issue and the patch are not tightly coordinated with the dial-in support team.

@Ditte or someone from Sonos Customer Care, can you assist? 

With the build and the sound no longer skipping for the The Frame with HDMI-eARC Mode set to Auto and Dolby Atmos Compatability on what do I need to do to get Atmos? In Amazon Prime Video I tried Jack Ryan and the Sonos app is only reporting Digital PCM 5.1 and not Atmos.

Just jumping into this thread to state that I’m experiencing the same problem with the sound cutting out on a 2020 65” Samsung The Frame (1403.1) with Sonos Arc (12.2.1).  

Same issue here.  Super frustrating. 

Same issue. I have the 75 inch Frame TV and Arc. So frustrating. It happens usually when I listen to music via Bluetooth and then try to watch something streaming. Is there a fix yet?

Has anyone had the patch installed by Sonos and it didn’t fix the issue at all? That’s what has happened to me.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Yesterday I experienced a problem for the first time.

I was watching a movie with Dolby Atmos on Netflix, paused the movie to answer a phone call, and when I started the movie again, there was no sound.

I unpluged the tv, waited 15 seconds, and started it up again. This fixed the problem, I now have sound again.

I watch Netflix via Apple TV 4K connected to my Samsung 75’ The Frame 2020.

I’ve tried that too, but it’s been awhile. 
I wonder if Sonia/Samsung now just consider this as ‘solved’ although there are still lots of issue. 

I still have warranty on both items, so I am seriously considering returning both items.

I am also here to help with the test. Please send the patch to my ARC as soon as you can. My return windows ends in two days (01/24/2021). Thank you.

Has anyone had the patch installed by Sonos and it didn’t fix the issue at all? That’s what has happened to me.

That’s really disappointing to hear.  I’ve only had my Arc for about two weeks.  I jumped on the support chat as soon as I had time and I should get the patch on Tuesday.  I’ll test it hard for a few days after and if there are ANY issues, it’s going right back to Crutchfield.  I can live without it more than I can put up with bugs.

Badge

I have a brand new Samsung Neo QLED (QE65QN95A) and I am not able to make the audio cutting issue go away.
Sonos tech support has said that the Sonos Arc works as intended and that I was using it wrong with my setup (Nvidia Shield). My forum thread.
Truly disappointed in both the product and Sonos customer service.

I don't disagree with you but I wish Samsung would be more transparent. I wish there was a way to follow this issue and understand when a fix will be released. They released a new software update at the beginning of October and said it would help alleviate the problems yet it's only made it worse for some.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

With the build and the sound no longer skipping for the The Frame with HDMI-eARC Mode set to Auto and Dolby Atmos Compatability on what do I need to do to get Atmos? In Amazon Prime Video I tried Jack Ryan and the Sonos app is only reporting Digital PCM 5.1 and not Atmos.

Only certain seasons are in atmos - as you’re looking through the menu on Prime it will specifically say “Atmos” (I don’t remember if s1 or s2 has it - and also don’t remember if the atmos was on hd or uhd) - Prime is weird that way.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Good to know someone has the same issues with the same setup FHboy. 

I personally think it’s a Sonos problem as well, interestingly if you try to change the sound output in the TV It shows the little green jumping graph on the Arc selection which surely means the TV is sending the signal to the Arc.

The part I'm most baffled by is the fact it worked for 10 minutes or so.

Very frustrating. 

Hello all - I would really appreciate advice from the community. I have the same config (Samsung Frame 65” + Sonos Arc, latest firmwares on both devices, based in US). Worked well for 2 months and immediately started showing the same symptoms - cuts off every 3 seconds, extremely annoying! Followed all troubleshooting methods (reset both devices, swapped cables, reset, checked for few firmware, etc.) and called Sonos and Samsung multiple times and did not get an ETA. Given this I returned my Samsung TV back (I really love Sonos Arc and want it to work). I’m lost as to what I should do: (i) buy an alternate TV that does have a working eARC; (ii) wait for couple of weeks for Samsung to fix this issue (losing trust as this issue existed from June). Really appreciate if anyone can advice

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I think you need to email the CEO of Samsung, not Sonos. You’ll probably need to brush up on your Korean.

I spoke too soon. It worked for one day and dropped the connection again. It tries to pick it back up for a second and then reverts to TV speakers. 

I hope there is a fix for this soon. If not, a huge waste of money putting Sonos throughout the house with Samsung TV’s. I switched from a wired system to this because everyone told me how amazing it was. Not very happy right now. 

Come on Sonos…

It’s hard to believe but what seems to have fixed it for me, is changing from Wi-Fi to LAN. Frame55 and Arc, both 2020.

Settings: E-arc and Dig. Output is on Auto, Atmos is on.

Doesn’t make much sense to me, but anyway: it works and I really tried to crash it for the last two days. Before I couldn’t start up the TV once without having to deselect and select the Atmos Mode in Settings, to get constant sound.

It might come back and I don’t have any explanation for it, but if you guys are as desperate as me about this you probably want to give it a try.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Not sure how technical people are in here, but could the eARC issues have something to do with the HDMI port only being a HDMI 2.0b port and not a 2.1 ?

I read that eARC is mostly only supported on the 2.1 port.
I know that on the Frame 2020 only PORT 4 is a 2.1 port, this is in not eARC port. That is the gaming port (most likely to support 8K gaming from PS5 or Xbox X).