Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

As of yesterday eARC is working with Atmos on my 2020 75" Frame TV.  Still not working on my 2020 65" frame

See pic, eARC on and yes I can hear the sound.

tv.  

Did you perform any updates?    I have a 2020 75” Frame, my arc was delivered yesterday, and I’ll be setting everything up this weekend- any tips that got your working would be very helpful!

I’ve had the same issue with my 2020 Frame and Sonos Arc, have worked with both Sonos and Samsung, and Samsung Care has been to the house twice and will be back again on Friday. Attempted a new one box, didn’t work, bu they’re saying something similar to Nzd31155. 

The 1460 updates available on the Samsung website are not the most up-to-date updates. There is (supposedly) a newer update (only currently available through the Samsung tech dept) that fixes this issue, and Samsung Care is coming back to our house on Friday to install.

I’ll report back on how it works.

Jumping in this bandwagon, and frustrated with the same issues.

setup: Samsung Frame TV 2020 65” and Sonos Arc.

issue: HDMI eArc mode has to be switched off which limits me to compressed Dolby Atmos, and more frustratingly, sound keeps cutting in and out every time TV is switched off.

Temporary fix: toggle on/off the HDMI eArc AND Atmos Compatibility from the Expert Audio setting each time after switching on the TV.

beginning to wonder if this is tied to the fact that when TV is turned on, the Sonos also comes on at the same time, and by doing the above fix or the other fix people have mentioned (HDMI out and in) you have the Sonos come on at a later time than the TV which seems to fix it.

extremely frustrating. This is definitely a Aamsung issue. Definitely my last Samsung product.

Fingers crossed it fixes.  Over the last week using a smart plug power cycling both the TV & Sonos in the night I’ve not had another issue on the HDMI-eArc/ HDMI switching.  Would prefer the software to work but this interim is working for the moment.

Hi all,

I’m having the exact same problems, own a 65” Frame (2020) and the Arc

sonos said there wasn’t an issue. I referred them to this thread

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve now started a return on the Q95T and ordered a Q90T which will hopefully solve the issue.

Replacement arrives Wednesday.

Does turning off eARC on Frame fix this issue? as in, is there at least uninterrupted sound without any cut off

Unfortunately no.  From my experience, even with eARC turned completely off, the sound cuts in and out when you first turn on the Frame TV, until you open the Expert settings in the Sound menu and toggle “eARC” and/or “Atmos Capability” on and off.  Then it seems to work fine until I turn off the TV again.  Good luck explaining that ridiculous process to your non-tech-savvy household members.

I would definitely avoid buying the Frame and/or ARC until this is fixed.  It’s just unbelievable that Sonos and Samsung have not fixed it yet.

Thank you very much for the feedback! I saw the same behavior too - by turning eARC off alone, the problem still continued. Just wanted to check if it was only me (may be I was missing something) or if I over-reacted by returning the TV. This is indeed unbelievable that Samsung and Sonos would not prioritize to get this fixed or give a clear ETA to get this resolved.

Badge

Just to update you on my fix in previous post on this thread.  Setting up a Kasa smart plug to power cycle the Sonos arc (every night at 2am) has worked faultlessly since.  No unplugging cables or switching settings.  

User impact = 0 which is what we are all after.  I’ve got the TV set to auto update its firmware so hopefully when a new release is pushed out we can use the plug elsewhere….

good luck!

Thanks for the tip - I missed that one. Can you share what model you used (or does it matter) 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Received the patch this morning.  Very interesting technical issues being resolved with this patch but it does appear to work.  Of course, I am using an Apple TV 4k which can handle STREAMING Atmos, but nothing else . . . but I tested playing an “atmos” file, then switching to Apple TV+ (which did report Atmos in the app), then to a Blue Ray video, then Airplay from my iPhone, then back to TV.  There was a LITTLE stuttering during the Airplay switch, but resolved immediately.  

So far this is a HUGE improvement and I expect I won’t need to reboot the Arc daily.  This “patch” does disable the Sonos screen saver component, but I think that’s a fair trade off.  Should Samsung actually fix something on their end then perhaps this will longer be needed.

Sounds like you tested it pretty comprehensively. Likewise, agree, huge improvement. Side-question: how are you connecting both your Apple TV 4K and TV to the soundbar—HDMI switch?

As of yesterday eARC is working with Atmos on my 2020 75" Frame TV.  Still not working on my 2020 65" frame

See pic, eARC on and yes I can hear the sound.

tv.  

Userlevel 1
Badge

The part I'm most baffled by is the fact it worked for 10 minutes or so.

Very frustrating. 

Could the TV have taken a firmware update during those ten minutes? We know that the newest LG firmware for the C9 causes problems with the Sonos Arc.

You could well be on to something there! I hadn’t thought of that but it would make sense.

I am hoping this is true: in a Samsung forum for this same issue, a user posted that Samsung Support said a fix should be coming in the March Update.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/sound-cutting-out-intermittently-on-2020-frame-tv-with-connected/td-p/2302114

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same thing: Q95T, Sonos ARC.

perfect sound with EARC OFF. No Sound in EARC Auto.

would be very helpful to know whom to blame, which device to return..is it Samsung or sonos..

really hope sonos is reading along here and we‘ll soon see a Software fix...

Glad someone else with the same setup is having the same problem, I've been in touch with samsung who have told me the issue lies entirely with Sonos, I'm thinking I might have to return mine if I can't find a solution soon!

Seems to be quite a few of us with the same setup/problem. I don’t really want to return either I just want the problem fixed. Oh well I guess we shall just continue to wait a little longer. 

Updated with the new firmwares tonight on the Frame 65” 2020 and Sonos Arc. Still sound gaps when playing Atmos material. The first one occurred after about 1 hour. Amazing how badly this is handled by Samsung

Instead of waiting for it to auto initiate the update - you can go into the telly settings (make sure you are on a terrestrial tv channel and not Netflix for example and you can click on the check for updates and it pulls it from the usb - there’s YouTube vids on exactly how to do it. 

Update from me - it all worked lovely for a week and the yesterday started mucking about again. I’ve attached a smart plug and set it to run daily power cycle through the night. Let’s see if that helps...

Userlevel 2

Hi guys, 

I'm hoping to get the Samsung Q95t to go with my Arc set up. From the messages above, it looks like Sonos has sorted this issue out. Before I buy, I really want to be sure so any advise welcome. 

Thanks 

John 

Yet another +1 on this topic.  I was running an older Samsung TV and an older Sonos setup.  I decided to treat myself over the holidays and upgraded both - Samsung Frame TV and Sonos Arc + 2 surrounds.  I installed the Arc and the surrounds a few weeks ago and everything worked perfect with the older Samsung TV (using eArc as well, oddly).  Then yesterday finally got around to upgrading the TV and everything went to hell.  The sound cuts out every few seconds and I’ve tried changing all the settings to no avail.  Now that I see what a widespread problem this is, it’s nuts.  I’m going to try what Nzd31155 just suggested and see if that works.

if the ‘check for updates’ is greyed out - quite the apps so you’re just on normal tv - that took me 20 mins to work out!

Welp, I tried this but unfortunately it didn’t work for me.  Interestingly, the TV says there are ‘no updates available’.  But, if you go on the website, you can clearly get a newer version of firmware.  So, I downloaded it and installed it into the box (pretty easy to do).  Then I plugged everything in and it worked great!  Then I cycled the TV and it went right back to the way it was - sound cutting out every other second :(

Ah man sorry to hear that. It’s ultra frustrating right. 

… Not fixed: awful audio delay with bitstream from an xbox series x, but i guess, thats a different topic

I had the same problem. The solution was to change Audio out format to Pass-Through, not Auto or PCM. When watching content from your xbox, go to audio --> expert settings to find it.

That fixed it for me at least. 

+1

The Frame 65 and Sonos Arc. 

PLS FIX!! 

Happy to help also message me for contact details. 

What’s the status on this issue now? I’m planning to buy a Samsung Q95T TV and Sonos Arc. Is this still an unsolved problem?

If yes, is it really common, or is it just like 1 % of the users who gets this kind of problems with the Arc + Samsung 2020 TV combination?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Given that it’s only on Samsung, and not any other brand TV’s , it’s hard to conceive of it not being a Samsung issue. 

I can’t speak to other TVs working or not but I am suggesting it could be a combination of the two (having done standards work before, subtle interpretations of specs by two parties can compound issues when they come together).   

But true, it could purely be a Samsung issue. They are definitely newer to eARC compared to say LG.

Regardless, hopefully Sonos can take a look and verify (and hopefully Samsung can too).

Userlevel 1

Hi all, yet another note from the dev team:

We have been working on the ongoing audio problem between the Sonos Arc and several 2020 Samsung TV models. These models support the new eARC connectivity. Samsung TVs prior to and from 2019 do not support eARC and are not seeing this particular problem. Customers will randomly experience a complete loss of audio which requires either the rebooting of the Sonos Arc and/or the rebooting of the Samsung TV. 

If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.

Best,

Ditte

Your team have put a patch on my arc already so I am now on build ending in 070, I have had no issues since the patch was uploaded last week but I am aware this is only a temporary fix , the support guy I have been dealing with (Paul) has said he would like me to be on the beta testing program, so happy to help 

OK, can someone please give me some advice on how to actually get support to apply the patch?

This is what I did. I emailed ceo@sonos.com stating that I have the Sonos Arc and a 2020 Samsung Frame TV with the sound dropping every couple of seconds. I also stated that I know about a patch that solves the problem and included a link to this thread.

Couple of days later sonos support replied to my email. We exchanged 2-3 emails until they finally sent me the patch.

So far so good.

Userlevel 1

Hello. The update didn’t work. Grr. It’s cut out about 3 times since I updated. I sent diagnostic reports each time it happened so let’s see if that helps Sonos.