Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have the same issues with a Frame 65” and Sonos ARC. Just bought both within the last 30 days.
In the first week or so everything worked well, then I started to get the constant changing between HDMI and eARC with the cutting sound as a result. I too could either plug out the power cord or the HDMI cable. Plug it back in and it would work well again UNTIL I would leave the TV off for a few hours or the next day. I could also mingle around with the “Sound” menu and switch ON/OFF Atmos experience or eARC menu a few times and eventually the sound would be back to normal, but still after  every time my TV’s been off for a few hours. Same as everyone else in here I suppose.

It should be said that I am running everything over an Apple TV4K as I don't have cable, however I could still hear the impact by the “clicking” feedback while scrolling through the samsung menu’s..still the cutting sound of course.

SO...last night I update the Sonos Firmware to 12.2.2 on my ARC. I am still using the old Frame firmware 1403. This morning - no change. Turned the TV OFF for at least 5 hours (This would be enough time to have the cutting sound effect back). HOWEVER, I then tuned the ARC with TRUEPLAY and exchanged the HDMI cable with another (from the one that came with the Sonos ARC box). I didn't suspect this would have an effect, but... IT DID! I switched on the TV and it worked well from the first moment. I’m still doubtful if this will come back in the morning. I’ll check up tomorrow if I still have positive news.

EDIT: After 40 minutes with the TV OFF .. the cutting sound was back… :( 40 effing minutes !!

Sorry, disable/enable Atmos Compatibility until the sound works.  If you turn the tv off, you must start over.

Badge

@bmoody34 - I plugged in the HDFury Arcana and didn’t change any of the settings and it worked fine.  There are not very many settings to change, so if it’s not working, the cords may be plugged into the wrong places.  In my setup, the HDMI Out goes to the Frame TV (HDMI 3 jack on the Frame), HDMI In comes from the Cable Box and eARC out goes to the Sonos Arc.  It works fine as a temporary solution, but it has some quirks as I mentioned in my earlier post, so I’m holding out for a real solution from Samsung and Sonos.

I probably should have just bought a Beam instead of the Arc.  I don’t really care about Atmos sound and just want something that works.  The eARC connection is just too glitchy.

75 " frame , arc sub and 2 ones

Updated to 12.1 and no change , still no earc - any steps we could follow to replicate your success?

Alright team. Just updated both the Sonos and TV and works great so far. 

Plugged in with eARC off. Once connected, turned eARC on and switched digital audio format to Pass-Through. It has been 20m with no skips and stable connection. 

Hi is there any update to this problem - has the issue been fixed. Mine is still not working? Thanks Rhys

Hi all,

A quick note from our dev team:

We are aware and monitoring an issue when connecting Sonos Arc to late model Samsung TVs via eARC. We are working closely with Samsung to resolve this and will share more as available.

All the best,

Ditte

@Ditte

Can you provide an update on if this issue between Samsung Frame’s One Connect and Sonos Arc has been resolved? Is eARC working and Atmos working? What was the resolution/fix?

THANKS!

Fixed yet?

Badge

Absolutely shocking that Samsung/Sonos have left their customers with this issue for 6 months plus without resolution, which leads me to think it is not something that can easily be fixed in firmware perhaps (or they would surely have done so by now?)

I keep reading people saying the settings don’t help - I thought that switching off e-arc would help, I have now also switched off Dolby Atmos compatibility.  This brought back sound, is that likely to be  temporary?  I read somewhere about asking Samsung staff for a “Netherlands update” or something, has anyone seen that?  Surely we can’t let this rest after spending thousands on technology, come on Sonos this is not what we expect - if it is a Samsung issue then tell us! 

Where will be the patch exactly applied? To be Sonos App or to the Arc? And build contains the patch? Thanks

I see the firmware update is now available in the US.

I'm interested to see if this resolves the sync issues as I'm about to purchase a Q80T and Sonos ARC to go with my existing SKY Q UHD and Apple TV 4K setup (PS5 also pre-ordered).

Good luck and look forward to the results!

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Thanks for this! I’ve just tried downloading the update for my TV (Frame 55” 2020), but the TV isn’t recognizing the update. Now I’m trying to solve that problem. Haha

Has anyone tried the new firmware update from Samsung that was released on Feb 24?  The new firmware is 1462.1

I just noticed it in the Samsung website.  I have the 2020 Frame 55 inch tv.  I will also give it a try tonight.

This is only released in the US so far. Not in EMEA as far as I can see. So not sure if this has anything to do with “the update”.

I Live in Canada and applied the new update from Samsung via Usb then started watching Wandavision. Sound still cuts out. I have been trying to reach Sonos to get this new patch everyone has been talking about but I have not been able to reach them.

Same issue came back even after the Samsung firmware update.  SMH

I see the firmware update is now available in the US.

I'm interested to see if this resolves the sync issues as I'm about to purchase a Q80T and Sonos ARC to go with my existing SKY Q UHD and Apple TV 4K setup (PS5 also pre-ordered).

Good luck and look forward to the results!

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/

Thanks for this! I’ve just tried downloading the update for my TV (Frame 55” 2020), but the TV isn’t recognizing the update. Now I’m trying to solve that problem. Haha

I’m in the UK and no luck with the update as well! Have tried over the air and USB stick, but isn’t working. 

1403 just came out. Updating now. Fingers crossed. 

*Update* - it doesn’t work. 

I got the Sonos Arc about a week ago. Could not get the audio in sync with LG OLED B7V and Nvidia Shield. Ended up buying the new Samsung QN95A. Finally the audio is in sync, but then there is this new problem with audi cutting out. 
Just watched a 4k movie with Dolby Atmos via Nvidia Shield / Plex. Audio cuts out every 10-15 minutes for a couple of seconds. Sometimes every other minute, sometimes it lasts 30 minutes+ without cutting out. I have also experienced sound drops on non Atmos content.
Sound settings in Passhtrough.
When in Auto, it seems to not drop out that often, but in stead the noise “breaks” just a tiny bit in parts of the movie.

Super annoying having spent so much money first on the Arc, then on a brand new TV.
Not sure which firmware I am on, but my Sonos is up to date. And I ran the downloader on the new TV today.
Really hoping for a fix.

I have had the same problem with Xbox pass-through via Samsung Frame 75”

Badge

Does turning off eARC on Frame fix this issue? as in, is there at least uninterrupted sound without any cut off

Unfortunately no.  From my experience, even with eARC turned completely off, the sound cuts in and out when you first turn on the Frame TV, until you open the Expert settings in the Sound menu and toggle “eARC” and/or “Atmos Capability” on and off.  Then it seems to work fine until I turn off the TV again.  Good luck explaining that ridiculous process to your non-tech-savvy household members.

I would definitely avoid buying the Frame and/or ARC until this is fixed.  It’s just unbelievable that Sonos and Samsung have not fixed it yet.

Ok. I may have had a breakthrough. Fingers crossed. I have only tested for 1 day so needs longer to test but I have not had the sound in and out issues when I leave the TV off for a few hours. 

1. I have updated to the latest firmware 1460.9. There are different versions for different Frame TVs so the links we have posted above don’t work for all Frame TVs as I learned so simply going to Samsung Support for your country and enter your model number.
  2. After updating I still had the issue. However, I then reset the TV. Settings->General->Reset
  3. Then I did not turn on HDMI-eARC Mode in Expert Settings.

The TV Dolby Atmos was on by default and it picks up the Sonos Arc and states that Atmos was detected.

The Sound Output still lists the Receiver (HDMI-eARC) connected not Receiver (HDMI) which suggests eARC is on despite the toggle being off in settings.

I hope this continues to work and hope it helps others.

keep us posted! Sounds promising 

Unfortunately the issue has returned when I left the TV for a while :rolling_eyes:

Received the patch this morning.  Very interesting technical issues being resolved with this patch but it does appear to work.  Of course, I am using an Apple TV 4k which can handle STREAMING Atmos, but nothing else . . . but I tested playing an “atmos” file, then switching to Apple TV+ (which did report Atmos in the app), then to a Blue Ray video, then Airplay from my iPhone, then back to TV.  There was a LITTLE stuttering during the Airplay switch, but resolved immediately.  

So far this is a HUGE improvement and I expect I won’t need to reboot the Arc daily.  This “patch” does disable the Sonos screen saver component, but I think that’s a fair trade off.  Should Samsung actually fix something on their end then perhaps this will longer be needed.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Both my Frame TVs have issues. 2020 can get Dolby Atmos working sometimes by my 2019 will never get it working. 

Hello, I just wanted to report that i am having the same eARC issue with my 55” Samsung Frame TV and Sonos ARC. Such a disappointment, as these were key features that i purchased these products together for...

Ok. I may have had a breakthrough. Fingers crossed. I have only tested for 1 day so needs longer to test but I have not had the sound in and out issues when I leave the TV off for a few hours. 

1. I have updated to the latest firmware 1460.9. There are different versions for different Frame TVs so the links we have posted above don’t work for all Frame TVs as I learned so simply going to Samsung Support for your country and enter your model number.
  2. After updating I still had the issue. However, I then reset the TV. Settings->General->Reset

The TV Dolby Atmos was on by default and it picks up the Sonos Arc and states that Atmos was detected.

The Sound Output still lists the Receiver (HDMI-eARC) connected not Receiver (HDMI) which suggests eARC is on despite the toggle being off in settings.

Unfortunately the issue has returned when I left the TV for a while :rolling_eyes:

Yep, my audio is always broken in the morning. Right now I have a smart plug scheduled to reset my sonos late in the evening, about when I would watch TV. A smart plug also lets me reset my sonos without having to go over to it and unplug it manually. 

I love my frame and my sonos arc so this will have to do for now.

Badge

I am so glad there has been an update also for Europe and the Netherlands. I was also having this issue with my Samsung Frame 2020 QE65LS03 model and the Sonos ARC connected on the HDMI eARC port. eARC configuration was set to off on the tv and I had breaking sound issue from TV.

Update is now available from NL and I am going to install it this weekend. Finally 👌👌👌

https://www.samsung.com/nl/support/model/QE65LS03TASXXN/

Upgrade File(USB type) Versie 1402.6 (MULTI-TAAL): All OS 2020-10-08

Badge

Hey everyone, I’m also dealing with the Frame / Arc sound dropping issue.  My current “solution” to the problem is to use a smart outlet plug and turn the power to the TV on and off automatically early in the morning.  I’m only on day two of this, but it seems to work so far.  It’s not a true fix, but may be a decent workaround in the meantime.

its not fixed, woke up today and turned on Netflix and audio skipping was there. gonna try the smart plug trick and have it reset my sonos every morning and see if that's good enough

Yep, my audio is always broken in the morning. Right now I have a smart plug scheduled to reset my sonos late in the evening, about when I would watch TV. A smart plug also lets me reset my sonos without having to go over to it and unplug it manually. 

I love my frame and my sonos arc so this will have to do for now.

I am planning to do the same. I use a Logitech Harmony Elite remote so will just add the off/on to the start up procedure. Seems so ridiculous that we are at this stage months later.

Not sure how technical people are in here, but could the eARC issues have something to do with the HDMI port only being a HDMI 2.0b port and not a 2.1 ?

I read that eARC is mostly only supported on the 2.1 port.
I know that on the Frame 2020 only PORT 4 is a 2.1 port, this is in not eARC port. That is the gaming port (most likely to support 8K gaming from PS5 or Xbox X).

I don’t think so, I have a Sony X900h with the 2.1 eArc update and I get regular audio cutouts, it comes back on its own after about 10-15 seconds but I’m leaning towards returning the arc.