Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

668 replies

Tell the engineer my build code and tell him yours.  When it is attributed to region I am in northeast US.  Ask what is the max build number in the US and what is build number in your area.  I guess I got lucky because the person I got took action.  Did something so I could get it through normal Sonos update.  

good luck. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Received the patch this morning.  Very interesting technical issues being resolved with this patch but it does appear to work.  Of course, I am using an Apple TV 4k which can handle STREAMING Atmos, but nothing else . . . but I tested playing an “atmos” file, then switching to Apple TV+ (which did report Atmos in the app), then to a Blue Ray video, then Airplay from my iPhone, then back to TV.  There was a LITTLE stuttering during the Airplay switch, but resolved immediately.  

So far this is a HUGE improvement and I expect I won’t need to reboot the Arc daily.  This “patch” does disable the Sonos screen saver component, but I think that’s a fair trade off.  Should Samsung actually fix something on their end then perhaps this will longer be needed.

Sounds like you tested it pretty comprehensively. Likewise, agree, huge improvement. Side-question: how are you connecting both your Apple TV 4K and TV to the soundbar—HDMI switch?

As controlav stated, to use this soundbar correctly, you can’t use a switch.  My Apple TV 4k goes directly to the first HDMI port of the OneConnect box and the Arc is plugged into HDMI 3, which is the eArc port for the OneConnect.

Thanks for that. I have the additional challenge—how to get my projector in there somehow so that I can throw video to either TV or projector and have audio go through the Arc.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Current problem I am having, is that on Dolby Atmos, the sounds cut like once every 10 minutes for a few seconds. Seems like this still haven't been fully fixed yet.

The Frame does not have any inputs /outputs on the Tv it uses the one connect box . 

I have confirmed that EArc is still unstable.

Same setup as most in this post. 

2020 Samsung Frame 75”(1403.1 and sub-micom 1005T)

Sonos Arc 5.1 setup (12.2.1)

I have learned that cycling e-ARC Mode and Atmos compatibility on the TV resolves the issues until the next power cycle, usually  12 hours or typically the next day. It takes a few minutes for the Arc to begin working, so be patient then turn on both Atmos and eARC mode on the TV. 

Sonos app confirms Dolby Atmos content playing through Samsung’s native Netflix app. 

When the sound is intermittent, I did notice the TV cycling through eARC and hdmi as others have noted. 

Will try to note time or event that triggers this behavior again. 

Let me know if this helps for anyone on this thread. 

Has anyone tried the new firmware update from Samsung that was released on Feb 24?  The new firmware is 1462.1

I just noticed it in the Samsung website.  I have the 2020 Frame 55 inch tv.  I will also give it a try tonight.

FYI This is a USB only firmware update.

Adding to this thread, same issues as all users. I’ve swapped HDMI cables and cable types and I continuously have to unplug from the Connect box (wait for the TV to register that it doesn’t see the Arc with a message on the screen) amd then plug it back in with a message on the screen. So frustrating. 
I also tried the hdmi to optical cable converter, but I’ve have issues with this configuration. 

Current problem I am having, is that on Dolby Atmos, the sounds cut like once every 10 minutes for a few seconds. Seems like this still haven't been fully fixed yet.

Same issue.  Updated Sonos app and TV last night.  Watched Greenland, sound cuts out every 10-15 mins for a couple of seconds.  Don’t think this was the fix we were all looking for.

Updated Sonos app last night, same issue.  Sound cuts out every 10-15 mins for a couple of seconds.

So, I had a chat with the local Samsung support team today and they were fully aware of this issue and suggested a fix that at least seems to work for me so far:

1. Unplug the HDMI
  2. Ensure that the TV audio options are set to auto
  3. Factory reset Sonos Arc (pull out power and plug back in while holding connect button)
  4. Set up Sonos Arc from the app and wait to plug back in HDMI until the setup informs you to plug in the TV.

From there it should be good.

FYI, my Frame 65” came with the latest FW updated out of the box

I’m testing this now and will monitor for a while. If it works it’s obvious that there’s still a bug here but I can live with needing very specific setup to make it work as long as it doesn’t drop out again. 

Any update on the reset? From my experience this hasn’t worked and every time I turn off the TV and back on, I get intermittent sound so before trying this, I wanted to see if it reliably

fixed your issue 

Badge

That looks more like a communication issue rather than the software one we are experiencing. Have you tried a different HDMI 2.1 cable? 

I installed 1460.9 successfully on a Samsung Frame 75 (2020) w/Arc.   I have sound set to PCM. Still no sound coming from the Arc.  Just the Samsung TV. Any ideas on what to try next?

Thank you for the reply.  I was using the Sonos supplied HDMI.  I just tried anotehr hdmi cable and still no luck.  What settings should I try?

Userlevel 1
Badge

alright, just ordered the q90t, q95t will be returned...will let you know if that led to a solution

I was planning on doing this today, maybe I will hold on a few days until you’ve reported back :) 

Quick update for the long time sufferers. Patch was pushed to both my Arcs on the 15th Jan, both are still working perfectly without a single reboot. If you haven’t already, chase support for the fix. 

Been getting this issue more and more now that I started using Xbox Series S with Frame TV + Sonos Arc.

It seems isolated to Dolby Atmos audio.

Any one got a clear fix for this?

Samsung Tech support wasn’t familiar with the issue and maintained that they were not aware of any ongoing issues with Frame. As a solve they wanted to send over a contracted Tech service person to diagnose it at home

This is why we need someone from Sonos to confirm that they are working with Samsung and that Samsung is aware of the issue.

Badge

Have some progress to report.  After my poor experience on the website chat, I received a follow up email, I replied with my thoughts and frustration at the situation and that the patch wasn’t allegedly available to me because it is only for beta users (according to the chat person).  Today I received a response from an escalation person who has asked me for a convenient time to install the patch this week !!!!  So pleased.  Apparently it is only temporary while they resolve at the Samsung side, and causes the screensaver (?) on the arc to be disabled but I’m happy to give it a go.  

The patch reduces the load on the TV apparently, and “reduces the prevalence” of the issue (which I read to mean it doesn’t fully resolve it).  Will report back, have asked for it to be done Thursday.

It would be interesting to learn more about ‘reduces the load on the TV’, is there something inherent in the design of the Arc which is proving to be problematic with connected hardware?

I read it more as the Samsung is struggling under the load so the patch means the Arc takes on more tasks that the Samsung should be doing.

In the Sonos app, go to System | About my System. Scroll down. You should see that it’s streaming Atmos. If not, the patch has done something. 

When watching Jack Ryan on Amazon prime (which I’m sure used to be ATMOS) it comes up with Dolby Multichannel PCM 5.1. I’m almost sure when you click on the Sonos acr audio control the ATMOS symbol used to appear however it doesn’t now. 

Yes, it is. 

So, I had a chat with the local Samsung support team today and they were fully aware of this issue and suggested a fix that at least seems to work for me so far:

1. Unplug the HDMI
  2. Ensure that the TV audio options are set to auto
  3. Factory reset Sonos Arc (pull out power and plug back in while holding connect button)
  4. Set up Sonos Arc from the app and wait to plug back in HDMI until the setup informs you to plug in the TV.

From there it should be good.

FYI, my Frame 65” came with the latest FW updated out of the box

I’m testing this now and will monitor for a while. If it works it’s obvious that there’s still a bug here but I can live with needing very specific setup to make it work as long as it doesn’t drop out again. 

Any update on the reset? From my experience this hasn’t worked and every time I turn off the TV and back on, I get intermittent sound so before trying this, I wanted to see if it reliably

fixed your issue 

@Burkell It’s still working but we’re only one day into testing so far...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@davidand Why would this cable send audio to the TV that is for this purpose just a monitor? And why would the TV then send it back to the Connect Box to pass it through to the Beam?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Same goes for me. Have the 1402.1 update. Cut in and out is VERY bad. Everything seemed find with the 1402 upadate, but went downhill with the 1402.1. It’s interesting, when The cutout’s happen, Arc set on Auto, I can visibly see the Sound input go from Earc to HDMI…..Thats when the cutoff happens. 

As it stands my Arc and 5.1 system are worthless. I can play music though, through streaming with NO issues. 

Badge

Guys this insane issue is also present on my LGCX. Sound flickers including the image on my screen Its terrible. 

That sounds like a fault with either the TV/Sonos, or the cable, or perhaps one of the connected peripherals has CEC enabled and is attempting to steal focus.

Edit: With LG aswell, perhaps try switching off ‘Instant Game Response’ on the HDMI-2 port, as that may ‘sometimes’ have strange effects with connected audio devices.

I think with some other branded TV’s, like Samsung, Sonos choose now to switch off the screensaver on some of their models, but LG is normally fine.

Unfortunately it doesnt let me do that (deactivate game response on HDAMI port 2)as it is grayed out but showing it is on.

Userlevel 1

hmmm good to know - I am in Long Island.  

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

In my case what it worked was following solution, as elsewhere mentioned: Use only one HDMI cable. My problem started when I connected another HDMI cable to the Oneconnect box (in my case for the Wii). But for me the issue is clear: Samsung must fix this problem with an update in order to be able to use more than one input.

I have the same problem with the 75 inch Frame and sonos arc. Have reported this to Samsung too

Not clear to me that this is the TVs problem as it thinks it is emitting earc but there is no sound, could be either side

75" The Frame

Model Code: QN75LS03TAFXZA

Software Version: T-NKMAKUC-1115 

Sonos arc,sub+2 ones

I have the QN75Q70AA and Sonos Arc , Samsung said it’s a Sonos issue and Sonos says it’s a Samsung issue. All tvs 2019 and older do not have this problem I also have  Bose 900 with no problems