Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Userlevel 2
Badge

I was so excited to receive my Sonos Era 300 yesterday. Everything sounded great at first. But last night I was going to fall asleep to some music like I sometimes do and I noticed a static pop sound. It’s like listening to your music while someone is slowly closing a bag of chips.  

I tried everything. Unplugged, reset, tried playing through both the Sonos and Apple Music app and it still did it.  

Anyone else notice this issue?

I’m hoping it’s a software issue, but I’m not waiting to see if it is  

icon

Best answer by Corry P 1 June 2023, 13:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

My ERA300's are setup as surrounds now on F/W 15.2.2 and while I was watching Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing today on Netflix and I think heard the static pop at around 44:07 from only the LEFT side speaker.

The pop was consistently reproduceable no matter how many times I rewind and replay, the pop was clearly audible at the time.

Could someone please listen to this and let me know if the pop that is heard at around 6 seconds is the one that everyone is referring too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaVgkdp7yio

Userlevel 2
Badge

My ERA300's are setup as surrounds now on F/W 15.2.2 and while I was watching Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing today and I think heard the static pop at around 44:07 from only the LEFT side speaker.

The pop was consistently reproduceable no matter how many times I rewind and replay, the pop was clearly audible at the time.

Could someone please listen to this and let me know if the pop that is heard at around 6 seconds is the one that everyone is referring too?

That’s the one I heard also on mine now. It’s a bit different crack now after the FW update. Previous the crack sounded like when you’re playing a record…

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

this is exactly the noise. Netflix?

really that means when I get this noise and rewind in the film comes at the same point the noise again ???

Because then you could say sonos in the film at this point comes the noise…

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Flare

this is exactly the noise.

really that means when I get this noise and rewind in the film comes at the same point the noise again ???

Yes NETFLIX. I tried multiple times and the pop happened every time at the same place. Anyone else can see if it happens for them at around 44:07 while watching episode 2 of American Manhunt?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

Yes NETFLIX. I tried multiple times and the pop happened every time at the same place. Anyone else can see if it happens for them at around 44:07 while watching episode 2 of American Manhunt?

I listened at the same time as you I hear it in my right speaker!!!!! Bizar this…

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

for me it does not happen at 44:07... too bad

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@BJ2003 

you watch in english ?

Format Dolby 5.1 Plus?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

you watch in english ?

Yes, listen carefully again in all speakers

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

you watch in english ?

fact with me also rear right, but a little later than 44:07
that is crazy

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare

you watch in english ?

fact with me also rear right, but a little later than 44:07
that is crazy

Same here. Hahahaha GRAZY!!!! Software problem!!!!

Userlevel 3
Badge

After updating my Era 300’s to 15.2.2 I’m not experiencing any more pops. I’ll do more testing tonight just to be sure but so far so good!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Corry P Would this information be helpful for the dev team to identify the problem?

My ERA300's are setup as surrounds now on F/W 15.2.2 and while I was watching Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing today on Netflix in 5.1 and I think heard the static pop at around 44:07 from the RIGHT driver of only the LEFT speaker.

@Corry P Would this information be helpful for the dev team to identify the problem?

My ERA300's are setup as surrounds now on F/W 15.2.2 and while I was watching Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing today on Netflix in 5.1 and I think heard the static pop at around 44:07 from the RIGHT driver of only the LEFT speaker.

I did have a listen to episode-2 around the time mentioned, but don’t hear the click sound on my setup here (Arc, Era 300’s & Sub Gen 3), but can clearly hear it in your uploaded recording FWIW.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I did have a listen to episode-2 around the time mentioned, but don’t hear the click sound on my setup here (Arc, Era 300’s & Sub Gen 3), but can clearly hear it in your uploaded recording FWIW.

Thank you @Ken_Griffiths . As a sanity check I just played it again and the pop was still audible.

Were you using the TV's built in Netflix app or through Apple TV? I was using the former but will try Apple TV tonight and see if thats any different.

@Flare,

I have an LG C9 TV and was using the Netflix App installed on that TV.

I have an Apple TV 4, a FireTV 4K and a Nvidia Shield - so when I get a chance I will try the Netflix App on those other devices aswell and replay the clip from episode-2 and if I hear anything I will post back here.  

If I do encounter the click/pop noise and can also easily reproduce it, I will try to grab a recording aswell, along with a diagnostic report and will post those here too. 

I did try replaying the episode-2 clip a few times and both the Wife and I were listening out for the noise, but not heard it so far on the setup here, but as mentioned can certainly hear it in your recording. 

It’s late now here in the U.K. so will try again at some point tomorrow. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Submitted diagnostics : 185329483

Also tested again and compiled some additional results :

1. Trueplay ON + Netflix TV App : Single POP is very audible
  2. Trueplay OFF + Netflix TV App : No POP but very faint crackles
  3. TruePlay ON + Netflix thru Apple TV 4K : No POP but very faint crackles
Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

I was asked to factory reset the speakers and set them up again which I did. After completing Trueplay I replayed  Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing and the POP observed earlier was not audible anymore but I could hear some very faint crackling.

I then switched to Apply Music playing The Gambler by Kenny Rogers in Atmos and heard a POP once which could not be repeated.

What next?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

I was asked to factory reset the speakers and set them up again which I did. After completing Trueplay I replayed  Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing and the POP observed earlier was not audible anymore but I could hear some very faint crackling.

I then switched to Apply Music playing The Gambler by Kenny Rogers in Atmos and heard a POP once which could not be repeated.

What next?

I think that the hotlines sit laymen who have no idea of the matter!

It can not be that we spend our time here for their job, what are we experimental rabbits?

It crackles it ploppt and that with a 500 € speaker, something like that does not even happen with a 20 € speaker from amazon ...

I can not understand how they can publish something like that!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

What next?

It can not be that we spend our time here for their job, what are we experimental rabbits?

It crackles it ploppt and that with a 500 € speaker, something like that does not even happen with a 20 € speaker from amazon ...

Kinda strange if support has no clue on this issue, especially after Sonos send out an emergency update. Here a small update from my side…. since the Sonos update I don't hear the plop anymore. I heard it once (I thought) but since that time...Nothing. So from my side all looks fine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

What next?

I agree with you! A shame

I’ve tried things again @Flare and still not hearing the ‘pop’ or ‘crackle’ issue here either, that’s using Netflix App (mentioned clip between 43m50s and 44m30s episode-2 American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing) on the Fire TV, Apple TV and Nvidia Shield. It’s perhaps one of those difficult to reproduce issues once it does disappear.

Anyhow, I’m sure the Sonos engineers will be looking into the matter

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Flare 

It can take some time for issues to make their way onto the documentation that our Level 1 agents have access to. Their being unaware of a particular issue does not necessarily mean that we as a company are unaware, just that the handling procedure for that issue hasn’t yet been finalised. Please be aware that as regular forum visitors, you may hear of new issues at the same time that we do, and we need time to properly assess and verify things before telling everyone related to technical support in the entire company about them.

Please be assured that we are still investigating.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Flare 

It can take some time for issues to make their way onto the documentation that our Level 1 agents have access to. Their being unaware of a particular issue does not necessarily mean that we as a company are unaware, just that the handling procedure for that issue hasn’t yet been finalised. Please be aware that as regular forum visitors, you may hear of new issues at the same time that we do, and we need time to properly assess and verify things before telling everyone related to technical support in the entire company about them.

Please be assured that we are still investigating.

Hi @Corry P Thank you for taking the time to clarify the process. Hopefully with all the information received to date the issue can be resolved quickly.

Would it be possible for us to know what 15.2.2 addressed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Flare 

I don’t have that information, though 15.2.2 was Era-specific.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Here’s more popping but this time source is Apply Music via Sonos S2 App while playing The Gambler by Kenny Rogers. 

Listen for the POP at 0:04 seconds and 0:12 seconds