Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 2
Sonos, John M, we deserve an answer! And a concrete one.
DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI), a leader in high-definition audio solutions and audio enhancement technologies today announced that it has expanded its relationship with Panasonic Corporation to integrate DTS decoding capability within the company's new ZT60, VT60, ST60, S60, X60 series PDP TVs and WT60, DT60, ET60, E60, EM60 series LCD TVs in North America. This marks the first time that Panasonic has offered DTS 2.0+Digital Out™ in televisions targeting the North American market, which provides Panasonic's customers high-performance DTS sound to compliment the stunning visual capabilities of their TVs.
Userlevel 1
Hi, Just a little detail... You say you have marked this "Under consideration" but that can not be seen on this thread (as with the other ones that are under consideration...) Is it just a delay in the update of the forum or a mistake? I think you have a great potential here, so please do not miss this opportunity! Keep up the good work!
Dear all, just would like to share some additional information about DTS and especially DTS licensing with you. On traditional hardware based audio equipment DTS decoding requires a DTS sound processor chip or a multi norm audio processor chip supporting DTS decoding to play out the sound of a given DTS audio stream. These sound processor chips usually have an ‘embedded’ license and you pay for this license with the chip price, cause the developer and/or supplier of the chip is partner and/or licensee for DTS technologies from DTS Inc. and the developer and/or supplier is taking care of proper licensing. For software based DTS decoding you should become a partner and/or licensee with DTS Inc. , create a valid license contract and pay for a proper license matching the license requirement of your product. As Sonos is still not sharing comprehensive information about the DTS capabilities of the current PLAYBAR hardware and the current PLAYBAR software, my expectation about the relationship between Sonos Inc. and DTS Inc. is as follows: During PLAYBAR development Sonos decided to avoid DTS licensing cost and Sonos initially saved the money for a multi norm audio processor chip on the PLAYBAR hardware and for a DTS software license, too. Therefore they are finally forced to do it in software and must go for a valid DTS software license, if they - maybe - want to do it now or later on or whenever, but right now they have no valid license for DTS at all. I would roughly guess Sonos Inc. started negotiations with DTS Inc. during the development of the PLAYBAR and the ‘big Sonos’ stopped the negotiation on a partner and/or licensee contract and affronted DTS Inc. by kicking DTS out of the PLAYBAR or maybe the full Sonos product range. Just in case my simple thoughts are quite close to the truth, I - as the affronted license and patents owner of DTS technologies - would decline to give Sonos a DTS license at all or at a minimum triple the price. Anyway, the Sonos customers are going to ‘pay the price’ for Sonos’ faulty decisions on DTS, in worth case by never ever getting properly licensed DTS on the current PLAYBAR or any other Sonos equipment. Bernd http://www.dts.com/professionals/licensing.aspx
Quite an active imagination you've got there!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
That's kind of my point, as clunky as I laid it out.
Badge +18
Sonos, John M, we deserve an answer! And a concrete one.

Fabian,  

We hear you but unfortunately we do not have an update to share at this time.  This topic will be the first place we update once there's any new information.

John

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

DTS, Inc. (Nasdaq: DTSI), a leader in high-definition audio solutions and audio enhancement technologies today announced that it has expanded its relationship with Panasonic Corporation to integrate DTS decoding capability within the company's new ZT60, VT60, ST60, S60, X60 series PDP TVs and WT60, DT60, ET60, E60, EM60 series LCD TVs in North America. This marks the first time that Panasonic has offered DTS 2.0+Digital Out™ in televisions targeting the North American market, which provides Panasonic's customers high-performance DTS sound to compliment the stunning visual capabilities of their TVs.
Badge +1
Sonos is making quality equipment, let's get the all the good stuff in there. Please include DTS!
Userlevel 1
Dear all, just would like to share some additional information about DTS and especially DTS licensing with you. On traditional hardware based audio equipment DTS decoding requires a DTS sound processor chip or a multi norm audio processor chip supporting DTS decoding to play out the sound of a given DTS audio stream. These sound processor chips usually have an ‘embedded’ license and you pay for this license with the chip price, cause the developer and/or supplier of the chip is partner and/or licensee for DTS technologies from DTS Inc. and the developer and/or supplier is taking care of proper licensing. For software based DTS decoding you should become a partner and/or licensee with DTS Inc. , create a valid license contract and pay for a proper license matching the license requirement of your product. As Sonos is still not sharing comprehensive information about the DTS capabilities of the current PLAYBAR hardware and the current PLAYBAR software, my expectation about the relationship between Sonos Inc. and DTS Inc. is as follows: During PLAYBAR development Sonos decided to avoid DTS licensing cost and Sonos initially saved the money for a multi norm audio processor chip on the PLAYBAR hardware and for a DTS software license, too. Therefore they are finally forced to do it in software and must go for a valid DTS software license, if they - maybe - want to do it now or later on or whenever, but right now they have no valid license for DTS at all. I would roughly guess Sonos Inc. started negotiations with DTS Inc. during the development of the PLAYBAR and the ‘big Sonos’ stopped the negotiation on a partner and/or licensee contract and affronted DTS Inc. by kicking DTS out of the PLAYBAR or maybe the full Sonos product range. Just in case my simple thoughts are quite close to the truth, I - as the affronted license and patents owner of DTS technologies - would decline to give Sonos a DTS license at all or at a minimum triple the price. Anyway, the Sonos customers are going to ‘pay the price’ for Sonos’ faulty decisions on DTS, in worth case by never ever getting properly licensed DTS on the current PLAYBAR or any other Sonos equipment. Bernd http://www.dts.com/professionals/licensing.aspx
This thread really turned into spam. I got my playbar the day it came out and love it ever since. There are a lot of ways to work around the lack of DTS on the Playbar. My HTPC converts DTS to DD 5.1 on the fly, while watching movies. It works flawlessly with my Playbar 5.1 setup.
My point was that Harmon Kardon announcing a new DTS capable soundbar is not that earth shattering an announcement, given that DTS soundbars are announced every day.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
John- This kind of an answer from the company like yours is not acceptable. After waiting for so many months, all we get to hear is there is nothing to be shared. Very sad.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

lol
Please add this. I am seriously considering taking mine back. Too many Blu rays are ruined by this lack of support.
More like a religious crusade than Spam.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Well it's in the PLAYBAR's price range which is why I thought it was notable. I didn't know posting such information some how violated the thread and your sensibilities. You don't have to be so obnoxious about it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi All
I have just received the comment below from John M on another thread (What source of true surround sound is compatable with play bar) Take a look for the full conversation.

No progress at all then, and the same old reply. 
What is the problem SONOS ?

We hear the request on DTS but we do not have any new information to share on the possibility of DTS support at this time.  The status is still under consideration.
The PLAYBAR supports both stereo PCM and Dolby Digital sources.  This information is available in multiple places online but for reference, you can find the full requirements here.
Dolby Digital Plus is not a supported codec because it is only passed through HDMI, not optical.  As you know, the PLAYBAR was designed to connect to a television via optical and does not feature HDMI.
Userlevel 2

@User810660:
Good, these are the things which will convince Sonos. That's 10 more TV series.
Userlevel 1
I cannot see this topic "Under consideration" section. This is important because I am not happy listening to blu-ray disks in stereo because DTS is not supported.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Schultz.janis, So the easy work around is to spend several hundred pounds on a noisy home theatre PC and somehow deploy that in the cabinet under my TV stand. I then need to mess around installing codecs within Windows and using a remote mouse to access the system. Not exactly what I would call convenient. Whilst I appreciate your "spam" sentiment, trivialising the DTS issue is not appreciated. If I'd wanted to run a PC machine in order to use Sonos, I'd have gone Squeezebox many years ago. But Squeezebox was fiddly and only suitable for techie people, which is why sales were poor and the product line ditched by Logitech. Sonos used to be the opposite to this, until PLAYBAR at least.
Userlevel 2
So let's agree on the statement that there are a lot of (cheaper) DTS-capable soundbars out there while expensive PLAYBAR isn't. Let's just hope that there really are no bandwidth issues behind the absence of DTS on the PLAYBAR, as Sander suspects above.
Hi John, How about an easier question ... Can the current Playbar be upgraded, via firmware, to support Dts playback? A Yes Or No answer will suffice. Answering that question may at least give some of us hope.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6

@Sonos
A beer coaster was not invented to level a table, but who the hell you think you are to prohibite it! Don't think what customers should do with your products. We decide!
Please add DTS support! I am holding off on buying a Playbar until this codec is included because I have way too many movies and mkvs that use this format.
Userlevel 1
Bernd - I can understand your frustrations but at this point, I think your participation in this discussion is doing more harm than good. I am also very frustrated with the lack of DTS support on the Playbar but it is now a well known failing of the device and people can decide if it meets their own needs. IMO, this list should be for people to +1 the feature request and not for long conspiracy theories and rants. I think Sonos made a very bad decision to not include DTS support but they are not hiding that fact. Your attacks on the company and the people making these decisions seems completely irrational given the fact that you are not being forced to buy the device if you don't like how it functions. I really wish there was an ignore function on this list so I could just avoid having my email filled up with your "points" multiple times a day but I do not think there is. I would like to remain subscribed so I can keep up to date on this feature request but it is becoming more and more difficult with your constant spam. Now that you have made your opinion known, can you please step back for a while and refrain from additions multiple times a day? If you feel you need a platform, maybe you can start a thread on the regular forum so people that want to read your thoughts can follow you in a more appropriate setting?
@Tom I wasn't trying to be obnoxious, I was just pointing out that a DTS capable soundbar was nothing new. If I misinterpreted the meaning of your post, I apologize.