Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Made the dive and stock with the playbar and 5.1 components......:-(
Badge +18

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

@Fabian

PLAYBAR was designed with the single optical connection to make it as simple as possible to set it up and get great sound in minutes by connecting it through the TV.  A switch is not something we are considering at this time but thank you for sharing your views and for the suggestion.   

@ Fabian & @pete

While licensing terms do play a role in this decision, there is also a great deal of development and engineering effort required to implement and optimize this feature.  We carefully considered all factors before deciding on not implementing DTS in PLAYBAR.   
Crap! I have to return my Playbar now since I can't play my DTS movies through my LG TV Apps. Otherwise satisfied so I will probably purchase one if/when DTS is enabled.
I own a Playbar and a Sub. My TV is an LG 42LW5500, connected on it are a Bluray Player LG BD420 on HDMI1, and a Sat Receiver VuSolo on HDMI2. From Sat receiver, the sound is Stereo, DD2.0 or DD5.1, those are correctly passed through to the Playbar. From the Bluray Player, in the setup, the Audio Digital Output was set to DTS, on the Playbar, even if you chose DD5.1 or DTS, it was always Stereo. I've changed on the BluRay Player from DTS to BitStream, now DD5.1 is passed through, but, of course DTS stays as Stereo. In my case I have two limitation regarding DTS, first the TV, I suppose it do not support DTS pass through, and the Playbar! I can understand Bernd's frustration, but I don't have buy the Playbar by Sonos, so I had only 14 days to send it back the device. If we suppose that DTS will be supported in the future, then I have to buy a Toslink Switch. I think the sound for the music is amazing for all Sonos devices, and this was the first, and I use more the Playbar for the music as for the TV, so my decision would to not return the Playbar. We are in the beginning of the Playbar history, I think to implement DTS is not simply add some more lines of source codes, I want to give Sonos more time to do it, when I see the quality of the products and the software, the engineers are serious and smart guys!
But one point disappointed me, this is the "zero" reaction of Sonos regarding the future implementation or not of DTS.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi, I have today just purchased a Soundbar to improve the sound of my Sony TV fed from a Mac Mini. I'm a newcomer to SONOS. Please add DTS decoding feature to the Playbar via a firmware update. Surely this is a relatively easy fix? Once this is done I will purchase a couple of Play 3's and the sub for the living room; also probably a couple more Play 5's for around the house. Otherwise I'm afraid it's going back and I'm getting BOSE with sound docks for each room! After finding out about lack of DTS AFTER purchasing, a bit of shine has been taken off an otherwise happy day! Love the SONOS concept. Please listen to all of your customers many of whom probably haven't bothered to find your forum and comment but are never the less wanting the feature added. You could probably multiply the number of requests to add DTS to the Playbar many times over because most people read the comments here but can't be bothered to sign up to the forum and comment themselves. Thanks for listening. A reply from SONOS is long overdue...... Many customers are awaiting your response. Even if it's a "we are working on it, hope to get it sorted by the end of the year or no we're not adding it" would help! Thanks.
Made the dive and stock with the playbar and 5.1 components......:-(
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Reading through this, playbar 1 has a design flaw and will NEVER support DTS. It has to come in later version if at all Sonos plan to introduce it. Waiting to hear back from Sonos on the next steps to return my items.
Add me to the list of wanting DTS for the playbar
Userlevel 1
Tom, in fact Sonos is after more than two month of increasing user requests for a simple answer as 'YES' or 'NO' still unable or unwilling to give clear and strong commitments to current customers. There is no Sonos commitment saying the 'beta:PLAYBAR v1 without DTS' is from a hardware point of view capable of doing full DTS support whenever Sonos decides to do so, if they do. There is no Sonos commitment saying the 'beta:PLAYBAR v1 without DTS' is going to be upgraded with DTS on time, in the near future or whenever. There is no Sonos commitment saying the 'beta:PLAYBAR v1 without DTS' is going to be upgraded with DTS anyway, even if the hardware is capable to work for a DTS upgrade. There is even no Sonos commitment saying in case we do a DTS upgrade for the 'beta:PLAYBAR v1 without DTS' it's going to be for free for current customers. Due to all those missing commitments and the weak 5.1 implementation I returned all Sonos equipment and got my good money back. Make the voice of your good money heard, return the scrappy 'beta:PLAYBAR v1 without DTS'. Return it ! Return it ! Return it !
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
This is a MASSIVE oversight from Sonos. As great as the Playbar is and as much as i love it when it pumps out true DD5.1, it sorely lacks when DTS playback is needed in 90% of my blu ray collection. As many have said before me, we have dropped thousands of pounds/dollars/euros etc on a prime bit of kit only to be kept in the dark regarding a firmware update. If it is possible, charge me for it. I don't care now. I've spent my hard earned. I just want it to do what it should be capable of. Either way Sonos, its about time you let us know. rant over....
Just bought a Sonos Play 1 and found out it doesn't support DTS.  I was thinking of converting to a Surround System with Sonos device, but I think I'm going to return it until it has DTS support.  I hope you enable it.
Userlevel 2
This is truly unbelievable. Just hit my first issue 2 days ago where I couldn't watch 10 different movies due to this. Just dropped $700 on a SUB 3 weeks ago and now really second guessing that choice and my plans to move forward with buying 2 PLAY:1's... very disappointed with Sonos and their decision here.
Userlevel 1
I really want to try out a Playbar but without DTS support, I already know it doesn't meet all my needs. If the Playbar sounds as I expect it to, and had basic HT features like DTS, there is a good chance I would purchase 3X Playbars,1-3X subs and 2X Play3s over time. If the sound is decent, I would start with a Playbar in the spare bedroom where the kids watch movies and in the living room. If the sound is more than decent, the current HT setup might get replaced with a full 5.1 system from Sonos and the other rooms would get upgraded with subs over time. With all of this said, there is no way I am heading down this path with a $700 component that doesn't even have what should be considered a standard feature on even solutions that cost far less. As an fyi, I already have 2X Play5s and 1X Play3 so I am already invested in the Sonos system. One good start, and maybe I missed it, would be an official statement from Sonos on DTS. I have seen speculation that DTS support technically "could" be added in a future firmware update. I also have read the speculation that not adding DTS is related to cost. Both of those items make sense and seem correct but until something official comes out, I don't know if they are true. What if there is a technical reason for not adding DTS support and in reality it can never happen on the current platform? This would end up being a long term point of frustration for all of the people that purchase the platform on the premise that "Sonos will have to step up someday and add DTS so I will buy early and just wait it out". IMO, Sonos does have to add DTS support or this platform will never be taken seriously but that doesn't mean they can or will.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Bernd, I appreciate your passion, many of us are in the same camp, but I think I speak for many when I say you've made your point now. You've returned yours and suggest others do the same. I get an email alert every time you make or edit a post. I don't particularly want to count them but it gets quite tedious when my phone beeps every five minutes to see the same copy/pasted text being pasted over again.
Agree with many comments above. It would be great to receive some further comment / update from Sonos as this is a major issue.
Just bought a Sonos Play 1 and found out it doesn't support DTS.  I was thinking of converting to a Surround System with Sonos device, but I think I'm going to return it until it has DTS support.  I hope you enable it.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

I'm sure that may be the case John but (and I accept you'll always get more people complaining online than complementing you on a decision) it seems that Sonos are seriously damaging their reputation by basically ignoring the requests of many of us who have invested heavily in your products and were happy with the company's decision to give us potentially a great way of combining the ease of use, the range of music and the quality of sound with the "home theatre" experience that your marketing states we get from the playbar and play-1/3 etc.  The decision not to support what is pretty much the standard for blu-rays (ie home theatre films) seems a crazy decision and will lead to a loss of potential sales; potentially many returns of existing equipment; and a marketing boost for all competitors of yours in the "home theatre" and music sector.
I'm afraid that not everyone streams their movies - in fact I'd guess that more people who would buy Sonos because of its ease of setup and use are actually more likely to want to just plug and play a blu-ray player in than to have to stream films!
Userlevel 1
Badge
Totally agree, the sound on TVs nowadays is pretty poor. Sonos isn't just losing 1 sale per customer because of the lack of DTS it's losing the potential purchase for other TVs in the household. It would also be good to hear an official announcement from Sonos, 'under consideration' is encouraging but in reality means nothing to a potential buyer.
I second that.
... i ask myself how much money Sonos already lost due to the lack of DTS-support .... Is it already 1 Million £ / $ / € / SFr ....
It's a pity... I have been enjoining Sonos for more than 8 years. I own three ZP100, one ZP90, one Play 5, one Sub, a bridge and two CR100 (running strong after replacing their batteries this year). I can't conceive listening to my music but through the system: instant gratification, no hassles and failures. My friends still rave on how good Sonos is for the music aficionado. I was looking for the Playbar and other components to replace my aging surround system with a simpler and elegant solution, one my wife would not feel intimidated using, but seems this will be a no-no. I will keep my veritable Yamaha receiver and JBL 5.1 speakers (connected to a ZP90) for the time being. Based on what I learned in this post, this is by far a better setup than the very expensive, but DTS incapable Sonos option. Hope Sonos decides to listen to their loyal user base and gets their act together on this matter. They are crippling an otherwise great product and harming their Brand equity by advertising (and claiming) something they are really not able to deliver.

I've just told my friend I was going to wait until the next playbar version with DTS support, then I've checked again and found this "official" answer...I'm going to find another system to replace everything...What a waste of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 1
Has anyone tried the Octava HD11-ARC HDMI Audio Converter? https://octavainc.com/HDMI-Audio-Converter-EDID-Manager.html I'm curious how well it works. From Octava's description: ------------------------------------ The HD11-ARC HDMI Audio Converter will extract HDMI audio to its Optical digital audio output for easy integration with your existing Surround Sound System. The HD11-ARC can extract audio from any HDMI source including an ARC enabled HDTV. The HD11-ARC can be configured as an EDID Emulator allowing you to ‘force’ your Source to output your preferred Video and Audio signal format – ideal where you want to force your Source to Output the native resolution of your Display device or Output 5.1 audio when your connected Display device only supports Stereo audio. EDID can be loaded into the HD11-ARC via the usb port.
Userlevel 1
Sorry about that. I was not aware every re-edit is re-send as an email to all other user, 'cause I never saw any re-sends anywhere. Going to do it in Word and just go for a sinlge copy on future posts. Please accept my apologies for any inconvinience. Bernd
Userlevel 1
Six months ago: I bought a Playbar and posted to this forum asking for DTS support to be added. Six months later: nothing from Sonos other than marking this topic "Under Consideration". Really, Sonos? Is that how you treat your customers? Should I sell my Playbar, two Sonos 3s, two Connects and a Bridge? Should I get my friends who own Sonos equipment to consider other options? Should I go to other websites (Amazon, CNet, ...) and post my negative opinion of the Playbar re: the lack of DTS when I try and watch many of my blu-ray movies without sound? After six months, I feel that at a MINIMUM, I deserve a "yes" or "no" answer as to whether DTS support will be added. If "yes", when? If "no", fine, at least I can move on, sell my Sonos equipment (which I otherwise enjoy and use often) and look for other solutions.