Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1
I own a Playbar and a Sub. My TV is an LG 42LW5500, connected on it are a Bluray Player LG BD420 on HDMI1, and a Sat Receiver VuSolo on HDMI2. From Sat receiver, the sound is Stereo, DD2.0 or DD5.1, those are correctly passed through to the Playbar. From the Bluray Player, in the setup, the Audio Digital Output was set to DTS, on the Playbar, even if you chose DD5.1 or DTS, it was always Stereo. I've changed on the BluRay Player from DTS to BitStream, now DD5.1 is passed through, but, of course DTS stays as Stereo. In my case I have two limitation regarding DTS, first the TV, I suppose it do not support DTS pass through, and the Playbar! I can understand Bernd's frustration, but I don't have buy the Playbar by Sonos, so I had only 14 days to send it back the device. If we suppose that DTS will be supported in the future, then I have to buy a Toslink Switch. I think the sound for the music is amazing for all Sonos devices, and this was the first, and I use more the Playbar for the music as for the TV, so my decision would to not return the Playbar. We are in the beginning of the Playbar history, I think to implement DTS is not simply add some more lines of source codes, I want to give Sonos more time to do it, when I see the quality of the products and the software, the engineers are serious and smart guys!
Just for music all Sonos players are fine. Music players are Sonos' core competence. The current 'PLAYBAR home cinema solution' is Sonos' very first tumbling step into a new business. I'm not likely to tumble with Sonos. In case I pay out good money ... ... I want a good solution for the good money. In case I accept an early adopter situation ... ... first of all I want to know it in forefront ... I want clear commitments to customers ... I want open-minded and fair-minded communications ... but I don't want pre-written standard replies - as Sonos does ... but I don't want marketing chit-chat - as Sonos does Anyway, the current Sonos solution is not good enough for the amount of good money you need to pay, neither is the early adopter situation with Sonos convincing me to tumble ahead with their 'beta:PLAYBAR v1 without DTS' Therefore give your money a voice and return the PLAYBAR without DTS instantly. Return it ! Return it ! Retrun it !
Userlevel 2
Just started to look into the Playbar having being an avid Sonos advocate for years. I already have a full AV Amp and speakers/sub setup, but the simplicity and wireless setup (ignoring power) really appeals. However I obviously like home cinema, and therefore will obviously be watching Blu Rays that have DTS, and obviously don't want to be listening to this in some pseudo surround mode. I find it staggering that there doesn't seem to have been any form of update from Sonos for months? Surely this is either being worked on or it isn't, at least we could be told that!
Totally agree,

I have 2 play 1's and a bridge.

Wanted the playbar and sub but I am now considering the Yamaha ysp-3300 for xmas as I don't think Sonos will ever respond / provide an update to this thread which is disappointing given the size of the thread.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Like Raum86 I also invested in The Playbar + 2 Play 3 both for music and surround. I was aware of the lacking of DTS but thought it would of course be added with a software update. Since I was primarily buying the system for listening to music and having surround from the set top box and netflix streaming I wasn't too worried. It was not until I learned that most Blu-Rays these days don't come with DD5.1 track that I got a little frustrated. As many people I haven't been able to hear the difference between a DTS track and a DD5.1 track, so if it weren't for the DTS only on (most) of my blu-rays I'd be happy man. 

Therefore this turn of events felt like a kick in the b…. Anyway, I started searching around the forum and deeply embedded in one of the many threads regarding this limitation I found a solution for my setup, at least. I use the PS3 for games as well as BD-playback and the PS (and PS4) is actually able to convert the DTS signal to a great sounding DD5.1 track. You'll have the surround experience even on your BD DTS only tracks. 

It's not that obvious how this takes place, but these are the steps to achieve it: 

Sound settings > optical output > choose only Dolby Digital 5.1 and leave the others blank (some are preselected and can't be unselected, that's fine)

Vidoe settings > BD audio output format (optical digital) > bitstream (mix)

This solution requires that you connect Playbar directly to the PS3, but that can be done using a switch. 

I know this tip might be 'redundant' as it has appeared elsewhere on the forum, but I just want as many people with PS3/PS4 setup to know that quality surround sound from BD with DTS only is possible with Playbar setup. 
Userlevel 1
To say they are unfriendly...The few times that I have, and the couple times my friends have interacted with Sonos it's been great. If you swing to the sonos forums there has been dozens of features that have been implemented (alarm, sleep timer, favorites, cross fade etc) from users.
Mitchel, you can read my mind. I'm maybe a little bit like your CFO. I want to sit down in my relaxing arm chair, take my tablet remote and watch my video content without thinking about audio formats, without funneling around on the settings of my HD TV or Blu-Ray. And for sure I'm never ever going to accept this degraded comfort level just because Sonos missed important audio formats on the PLAYBAR. That's the point. Bad user experience on video with the PLAYBAR !
It's been in consideration for five months now, HOW MUCH LONGER DO WE HAVE TO WAIT?? I truely love the sound bar but it is pointless without DTS support!
Totally agree,

I have 2 play 1's and a bridge.

Wanted the playbar and sub but I am now considering the Yamaha ysp-3300 for xmas as I don't think Sonos will ever respond / provide an update to this thread which is disappointing given the size of the thread.
Userlevel 2

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

I just don't have any words for this decision. I really hope you are reconsidering this in the near future, Sonos. On the market for multi room music streaming you are one of the best, if not the best. And you do a great job with updating and enhancing this service further on a regular basis. BUT with the Playbar and the 1s/3s as rears you entered the market for home theater surround sound systems. And the lack of DTS support just throws you behind your competitors in this segment. I can't believe that the offering of a in-app purchase of the DTS for the willing Playbar owners can produce any financial loss for you. Please rethink!
Userlevel 2
Thanks! Remind, not only count people complaining here, but also potential new customers as well as people thinking about upgrading the playbar to 5.1...
Userlevel 1
I own a Playbar and a Sub. My TV is an LG 42LW5500, connected on it are a Bluray Player LG BD420 on HDMI1, and a Sat Receiver VuSolo on HDMI2. From Sat receiver, the sound is Stereo, DD2.0 or DD5.1, those are correctly passed through to the Playbar. From the Bluray Player, in the setup, the Audio Digital Output was set to DTS, on the Playbar, even if you chose DD5.1 or DTS, it was always Stereo. I've changed on the BluRay Player from DTS to BitStream, now DD5.1 is passed through, but, of course DTS stays as Stereo. In my case I have two limitation regarding DTS, first the TV, I suppose it do not support DTS pass through, and the Playbar! I can understand Bernd's frustration, but I don't have buy the Playbar by Sonos, so I had only 14 days to send it back the device. If we suppose that DTS will be supported in the future, then I have to buy a Toslink Switch. I think the sound for the music is amazing for all Sonos devices, and this was the first, and I use more the Playbar for the music as for the TV, so my decision would to not return the Playbar. We are in the beginning of the Playbar history, I think to implement DTS is not simply add some more lines of source codes, I want to give Sonos more time to do it, when I see the quality of the products and the software, the engineers are serious and smart guys!
Andy, form my point of view your way of 'enforced change in content purchase' is not leading into a practical solution at all. In case my grandchildren show up with a Blu-Ray in their hands and I can't play it and watch the film together with them the whole Sonos solution is - in simple words - worthless. In general I want to make free decisions about my content providers.
Please add my vote for DTS to be added to Playbar - a superb piece of equipment but underperforms because it cannot play Blu-Rays the way they were meant to be heard - Sonos, please act quickly on this
Today I decided to return my play 1 and bridge+sub to my local dealer. It's to unsure wether the dts support will come or not. And if it won't I have an 1700Euro sound system which isn't supporting my Blue Rays!
Userlevel 2

@ John M:
You keep saying we should connect our BD players to the TV and because most of the TVs don't pass through DTS it sends a stereo PCM which the Playbar uses to "create a surround experience". While I would never say the Playbars algorithms for emulating 5.1 from 2.0 are bad, you have to admit that it can never ever be as good as the native 5.1 from a DD or DTS signal by far. So this can't honestly the way you want your awesome product to work way under its possibilities. Not with this price tag.

P.S.: I don't know if you are even in the development team. But either way I believe you have an not so easy job here with all the shitstorm you have to cope with. Therefor I wanna say you are doing it good and in a professional way. But your company should really rethink this issue.
Userlevel 1
Please re-think the decision to add DTS support to the Playbar. I recently bought one, along with the Sub and two Play:3's to replace my HT system. I love the system, and the sound when playing true 5.1 is amazing. But I am disappointed with the need to cobble together a solution when playing a DTS encoded Blu-Ray.
At what point did I say I was enforced to changed.
Wow, almost just bought a couple Play 3's to add on to my home theater setup. Thanks but no thanks, I was surprised at how simplistic the Sonos surround setup was but no DTS = too good to be true. Sonos, you've already lost my business but for future customers I would advise you to add a standard feature for home entertainment for such a bold asking price.
I am still waiting to hear if sonos will add DTS support. I am not prepared to wait for ever. If this information does not come to light by the middle of December I along with countless others will turn to Yamaha and Bose alternatives.
Userlevel 3

The way JohnM talks, "PLAYBAR, like other Sonos products, was designed to be easily upgradable as the technology environment evolves so from a purely technical standpoint, it would be possible to develop a DTS decoding solution. This would of course have to be licensed and approved by DTS." The last sentence really sticks out. Really seems like the two parties couldn't come to an agreement. It takes two to tango, does anyone know what a license fee would cost? Maybe it could be a value added, for the owners who want DTS they would pay extra? I'm grasping at straws now 😞
Userlevel 1
I am happy to see that the idea is under consideration. I am hopeful that the decision will be made to add DTS support, and that it will be able to be implemented via a firmware update. I won't be happy if I have to buy a new Playbar.
We are not yelling we try to keep it civil but also keep it practical company listen more when you return the products or don't buy their product... don't call name, don't get upset, don't go crazy on the forum just return your product and said it lacks DTS support I don't want it.....Votes with your wallet always works....
Why are you still here then?
Yesterday I was only one click away from buying the playbar (for 620,-€), but did not finish... I´m really not sure with buying a (part of a) cinema system which is not able to play DTS files. Although I would buy it without the 2 Play3s, I want to be able to upgrade to a 5.0/5.1 system later on! So please, let us know what your plans are. one of the crowd
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Please add DTS ASAP. The xbox one supports DTS out over optical but doesn't support Dolby 5.1 (yet) so even if I plug the optical directly into the sonos playbar it still only receives stereo. Some kind of update would be nice, please! About to return a bride, 2 new play bars, 2 play 3's, w play 1's, and a sub that I just purchased from best buy.

It's not just licensing. There is some talk that DTS wouldn't license a software only solution, that they require some sort of hardware where they control the implementation. Purely speculation, but that would explain the time it took to come to the final result; there was maybe a lot of back and forth going on before DTS finally slammed the door.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Egon da Buuni makes a very good point. This is a new product and may not receive the weight of support that some of the other ideas have on this board. Personally I stumbled across this thread and I guess a lot of people will just accept the DTS omission and stick with their existing setup or go with a competitor. Therefore I really hope Sonos don't put too much value on the sheer number of comments as there have been many improvements that we've all benefited from over the years, but not necessarily actively sought out and supported on this forum. Fingers crossed we can move to a 5.1 Sonos setup that supports DTS in the (very) near future!!
Userlevel 1
We are not yelling we try to keep it civil but also keep it practical company listen more when you return the products or don't buy their product... don't call name, don't get upset, don't go crazy on the forum just return your product and said it lacks DTS support I don't want it.....Votes with your wallet always works....
I've learned on this forum a lot of people believe noise from all speakers in a PLAYBAR + SUB + 2x PLAY:3 setup is telling them, they have a properly functioning 5.1 surround system, as I also tried to buy from Sonos. I've figured out by testing on my own, reviewing this forum, manuals of several HD TV sets, manuals of several Blu-Ray players and other public forums, it's unlikely for the majority of PLAYBAR users to have a proper 5.1 system in place, most is likely to be faked 5.1, saying 'Sonos Virtual Surround Sound' due to missing DTS Support and the sad 'Switch to PCM Stereo' hint on the PLAYBAR support forum. If you also review the information from other users on this forum about the big difference between real 5.1 from a DD 5.1 stream and the faked 5.1, saying 'Sonos Virtual Surround Sound' by running the PLAYBAR with just a PCM 2.0 stereo input, you may understand I'm not just a troll to this forum. As long as people are aware they are just running up-mixed PCM 2.0 stereo, they are aware of the big difference and still say 'I'm fine about getting a weak solution for good money', I'm OK, too. But Sonos is not really taking care of those users, 'cause as soon as the PLAYBAR makes some noise from a PCM 2.0 stereo input, they make the users believe everything is fine about their PLAYBAR setup. I recognized this and want to share this information here on forum and everywhere else, if somebody is asking for my humble opinion. Nevertheless I did not make a final decision to go for something else for the multiroom system in the new lodge. I'm going to monitor Sonos' progress in the home cinema business, the PLAYBAR DTS support and a potential PLAYBAR v2. In case they are doing fine, I may return for another trial setup in the future, but for sure the results on this second chance need to be absolutely convincing with outstanding 5.1 support. Anyway I'm not, saying no longer, in a customer lock-in situation with Sonos, as I returned the scrappy PLAYBAR and all the other stuff on time. My expectation about Sonos is, they are not really going to push future development on the PLAYBAR, DTS support and PLAYBAR v2, as long as all the buffalowed users with a faked 5.1, saying 'Sonos Virtual Surround Sound with Stereo input' are keeping their Sonos equipment, stay in a customer lock-in situation and therefore forced to survive with whatever Sonos is going to do about the weak 5.1 support in the Sonos home cinema business, especially on the PLAYBAR product.