Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

+1 on the DTS. I just get silence for about 50% of my blur-ray disks.
I'm glad I took the opportunity to look through this forum and read user's comments regarding the lack of DTS decoding in the playbar.  I initially purchased the playbar after catching a demo of it at Best Buy, thinking it would be a great solution for wireless surround sound capabilities (when paired with the sub and the play:1 or play:3).  While most of my media, my current TV, and DVD player aren't on any DTS format, I'm looking at a system that has capabilities for upgrades down the road, especially when I upgrade my TV.  Considering most (if not all) Blu Ray discs are formatted for DTS sound, and most of the solutions provided are more like workarounds, I decided to cancel my order for the Sonos playbar from Amazon. 

The concept of a wireless surround system looked promising from Sonos, but until it's capable of handling common formats like DTS, I'm happy to wait until next gen comes out, or I can go with the classic old school A/V systems with satellite speakers. 

Sonos - if you get a firmware upgrade on the current generation or decide to release a next gen, give me a shout. 
Sonos, another vote here for DTS. It really is deal breaker for me. I'm in the market for a HT solution and had planned to extend the Sonos framework to my living room for movies, but a large percentage of my movies are DTS, so please add this feature so I have no concerns about buying the Playbar, 2 x play3s and a SUB. If it's just a case of prioritisation, I'm surprised that Sonos is only 'considering' this at the moment. From all the reviews I've read, this seems to be one of the main drawbacks of what seems to be a great solution, so if there are no technical limitations, I'd consider prioritising this for the reputation of the brand.
Userlevel 1
I own a Playbar and a Sub. My TV is an LG 42LW5500, connected on it are a Bluray Player LG BD420 on HDMI1, and a Sat Receiver VuSolo on HDMI2. From Sat receiver, the sound is Stereo, DD2.0 or DD5.1, those are correctly passed through to the Playbar. From the Bluray Player, in the setup, the Audio Digital Output was set to DTS, on the Playbar, even if you chose DD5.1 or DTS, it was always Stereo. I've changed on the BluRay Player from DTS to BitStream, now DD5.1 is passed through, but, of course DTS stays as Stereo. In my case I have two limitation regarding DTS, first the TV, I suppose it do not support DTS pass through, and the Playbar! I can understand Bernd's frustration, but I don't have buy the Playbar by Sonos, so I had only 14 days to send it back the device. If we suppose that DTS will be supported in the future, then I have to buy a Toslink Switch. I think the sound for the music is amazing for all Sonos devices, and this was the first, and I use more the Playbar for the music as for the TV, so my decision would to not return the Playbar. We are in the beginning of the Playbar history, I think to implement DTS is not simply add some more lines of source codes, I want to give Sonos more time to do it, when I see the quality of the products and the software, the engineers are serious and smart guys!
You didn't say you are enforced in writting. Maybe you have other reasons to move to apple TV, but you are not free in your decision, 'cause you are forced to avoid Blu-Rays with common DTS 5.1 audio streams, 'cause they are not going to work properly in your setup. Even if you are likely not to buy Blu-Rays anyway, it's from my point of view not a really free decision.
Don't let us down, please !
I'm glad I took the opportunity to look through this forum and read user's comments regarding the lack of DTS decoding in the playbar.  I initially purchased the playbar after catching a demo of it at Best Buy, thinking it would be a great solution for wireless surround sound capabilities (when paired with the sub and the play:1 or play:3).  While most of my media, my current TV, and DVD player aren't on any DTS format, I'm looking at a system that has capabilities for upgrades down the road, especially when I upgrade my TV.  Considering most (if not all) Blu Ray discs are formatted for DTS sound, and most of the solutions provided are more like workarounds, I decided to cancel my order for the Sonos playbar from Amazon. 

The concept of a wireless surround system looked promising from Sonos, but until it's capable of handling common formats like DTS, I'm happy to wait until next gen comes out, or I can go with the classic old school A/V systems with satellite speakers. 

Sonos - if you get a firmware upgrade on the current generation or decide to release a next gen, give me a shout. 

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Very very very very very very very poor
Userlevel 1
Well, 'Under Consideration' is at least a good start! As mentioned before my movies are stored on my NAS, streaming via Plex App on my Samsung TV and would extemley benefit from DTS. As probably 90% or more of my movies have DTS audio this is a must-have for a Playbar buy decision. But in this case it's not only a must-have for a Playbar buy decision but also for a Sonos Sub buy decision. Without Playbar no 5.1 sound and without 5.1 sound there will absolutely no need to be to buy a Sub for me. Well as I read the feedbacks here in the forum there are lot more people in the same position... But in my humble opinion there are also a few more points which would benefit from DTS support: - top reviews as a mayor drawback is gone - satisified customers (as it seems there are quite a lot of people waiting - consciously or unconsciously - for DTS out there) - increased sales (as a must-have criteria is fulfilled) - increased cross-selling for Sub and Play:3 (as everyone wants 5.1 sound in their homecinema) Anything missing? So I would say that my personal Playbar buy decision is marked as 'Under Consideration' 😉
I own a Playbar and a Sub. My TV is an LG 42LW5500, connected on it are a Bluray Player LG BD420 on HDMI1, and a Sat Receiver VuSolo on HDMI2. From Sat receiver, the sound is Stereo, DD2.0 or DD5.1, those are correctly passed through to the Playbar. From the Bluray Player, in the setup, the Audio Digital Output was set to DTS, on the Playbar, even if you chose DD5.1 or DTS, it was always Stereo. I've changed on the BluRay Player from DTS to BitStream, now DD5.1 is passed through, but, of course DTS stays as Stereo. In my case I have two limitation regarding DTS, first the TV, I suppose it do not support DTS pass through, and the Playbar! I can understand Bernd's frustration, but I don't have buy the Playbar by Sonos, so I had only 14 days to send it back the device. If we suppose that DTS will be supported in the future, then I have to buy a Toslink Switch. I think the sound for the music is amazing for all Sonos devices, and this was the first, and I use more the Playbar for the music as for the TV, so my decision would to not return the Playbar. We are in the beginning of the Playbar history, I think to implement DTS is not simply add some more lines of source codes, I want to give Sonos more time to do it, when I see the quality of the products and the software, the engineers are serious and smart guys!
That's right. I moved to Apple TV last year before the playbar was ever released.
Seems like there would be commercial reasons to include DTS (additonal Play 3 sales). Worst case, an additonal optional small fee for those whom want DTS to cover license fees? Mind you the RRP in Australia is over $1000 so puts it up there compared to other soundbars.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Cyber Monday !!
What a great opportunity for Sonos to gain some more customers to purchase an expensive pretend surround system, count the cash, and then ignore them all when they start to wonder why the system does not meet expectations.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

So: no playbar for me !
Another vote for DTS here.
Userlevel 1
OK to me, but in case you like to use a given Blu-Ray with common DTS 5.1 Audio, you can not use it. Maybe this is not causing issues for you, that's fine to me, too. As I made the decision not to go for apple TV, for me (and my grandchildren) it's going to be unacceptable.
Userlevel 2
Would appreciate an official update on the DTS issue. If license costs are the reason for not having it implemented yet, I also second the idea of an (not sooo costly) in-app purchase for the DTS support.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Cyber Monday  !!!!
What a great opportunity for SONOS to sell more expensive pretend surround systems, count the cash, and then ignore all their new customers who wonder why their new systems don't meet expectations.
Userlevel 3

I have a playbar and sub, which is awesome but the plan to add two play 1's and create a 5.1 system seems well pointless... I do stream at lot of Netflix and could buy new movies through apple TV, but I'm quite old fashioned in that I like a box n disc that you get with Blu-ray.... Please reconsider Dts or invent/produce a Sonos branded switch box think lol
Another vote for DTS here too. It's a deal breaker for me. No playbar and no sub for me before DTS.
Userlevel 1
To have a good idea to solve a major issue with more than 250 followers and it's just marked as *** UNDER CONSIDERATION *** is - in simple words nothing - nothing, but chit-chat. Do yourself, saying Sonos as a company, a really big favor and give clear commitments to your customers. I've already returned my full Sonos install due to that kind of weak answers from Sonos ! All of you not completely satisfied customers waiting for a valuable answer from Sonos on this issue for in the meantime more than two month: Make the voice of your good money heard and return the scrap.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
everyone is talking about licence costs but how much are we really talking about here ? if sony can knock this out for £268 for a blue ray / amp / 5.1 speaker system then a DTS licence cant cost much surely ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007NXA9KI Ive invested in soundbar and 2 play 3's for the rears. I have the money waiting for the sub but holding off until this is sorted. If they decide it will only be available in 'Playbar 2' then Ill be voting with my feet.
I was juuuust about to buy the playbar.... luckily I found this thread here (whew...). No DTS would have been a mega-FAIL! Good bye from yet another potential buyer!
Userlevel 2

@ Rich Morris and John M
The SONOS SWITCH sounds like a good idea. If it's really the case that the DTS company does not license a software only solution (like a DTS supporting firmware update for the Playbar), then perhaps they would approve a new Switch from Sonos. 3 optical in for TV, BD Player and e.g. gaming console, 1 out for the Playbar. The Switch is controllable from the Sonos app and converts DTS to DD5.1. Is this a somehow realistic scenario, John M??
Perhaps someone should make a request / idea out of it in this forum?! And when we are at it, we could make a separate specifically for a DTS in-app purchase. I mean, if DTS Inc. would claim a license fee for only the people who buy it, Sonos could just top an own profit on top of it and everbody's happy...
We're already a Sonos S5 household and absolutely love the system. I'm now in the process of reducing the footprint of my HT system (B&W603's / Rotel separates / ML sub) due to space / remodeling considerations. My point for Sonos is that I'm seriously considering moving from a very nice HT separates for the full-up Playbar 5.1 system, but, and it's a big but, NOT without DTS. I'm willing to forego the HD blu ray audio, but 2 channel down-mix just doesn't cut it for me. If DTS doesn't happen the back-up plan is a new satellite set-up (Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.1 or similar) with my current AVR. Not the implementation I truly want as it carries a variety of family complexities with it, but, I'll at least be able to decode both Dolby and DTS in full 5.1 as they were intended.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I bought it not even thinking twice it didn't support DTS. I'm happy with it nonetheless since I can fiddle around with my PS3 settings to get everything to work reasonably well but if I was using a "regular" Blu-ray player where I didn't have the finite control I have with the PS3 I would have returned it day one. Chalk up another vote for adding DTS support, it's really the only thing missing and it can be patched with a firmware update right?
I was seriously considering purchasing the complete system (playbar/play:3's/sub) until I dug a little deeper regarding sound formats supported. What I have found is not very encouraging news for DTS playback and a soon to be released update for stereo playback of music. These are things that should be expected out of the box at this price point. I think my money will be better spent on this Yamaha system http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hometheater-systems/digital-sound-projector/ysp-4300_u/ I plan on waiting a bit longer before making a purchase but more than likely Sonos will not be getting a dime from me unless they address these flaws.