Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

From my point of view Sonos is an unfrank pure profit organization:

Sonos buffaloed PLAYBAR owners for more than 12 month with ‘Under Consideration’ statements to make them keep a damn bad hardware not suitable to handle DTS 5.1 due to technically limitations. I’m absolutely sure, Sonos knew at any point in time the DTS 5.1 solution a lot of their customers asked for will never ever work on those failure-by-design PLAYBARs. Period.
Userlevel 1
Egh. I just ordered a Playbar along with a Samsung UN60ES8000 literally this evening and within the next few months a receiver. The Playbar is on backorder. The intention was short term to put the Playbar on the TV, add the sub next month, and then move it to a receiver for DTS. This is actually disconcerting. At $700....Not trolling. I may go with a throw away option for now and consider playbar at a later date. I made the assumption that such a high end device would just support DTS out of the box. I'm generally not impatient. If I know down the road this will be supported that is one thing. Gambling on this is another matter. I generally setup entertainment systems for 5-7 year periods. I don't mind blowing a bit of money for quality. But lacking this one feature? Like I said....ugh.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
Of course it can, has been passed through optical since the 90s. To answer Michel's question, two scenarios here. 1) Your TV will passthru DTS - Sonos doesn't work with it, you get silence. 2) Your TV will not passthru DTS - You connect your device direct to Sonos, it can't handle it, you get silence. There is only one way to fix the silence, that is the purpose of this thread.
They would never say that they are not considering this or not going to provide this. This sort of bad news would mean people would skip on purchasing this unit. I already had a friend of mine balk at the idea and went and purchased a harmon kardon in favor of the playbar. He simply said that he can't justify getting something that doesn't support the basic audio formats other soundbars provide as a default set at a much lower cost of ownership. Too bad. I do feel the playbar is a superior soundbar but without DTS it's nothing but a good soundbar for just satellite/cable and not blu-ray. 90% of the movies I own are DTS only.
I have to agree. At £600 ukp it's not cheap. DTS NEEDS SORTING. I am surprised it was brought out without!
Missed the boat Sonos , bought a yamaha ysp-3300 which is excellent really pleased and its GOT DTS and cost £350 less

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Sure, optical output is not suited. You want to use HDMI - which is, by the way, also needed to get 5.1 sound from most TVs (e.g. Panasonic does not transmit 5.1 coming from the BlueRay player through the optical output, but just plain stereo).
I was going to buy the playbar and another play:3 to complete my audio/video setup. 'Luckily', I haven't place an order yet. I discovered, as with all the other people above, that the playbar does not support dts, surprisingly I must say. Because most of my films have a dts track, the playbar is more or less useless. Allthough I adore the sonos system, I won't buy the playbar and play:3 untill this feature is added.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
My TV passes Dolby Digital 5.1...right now I have my PS3 set to only pass DD and LPCM and have the audio options set to bitstream. So what is actually getting passed to the PLAYBAR is a DTS track converted to 5.1 or LPCM? In other words, if PLAYBAR were to add DTS support, I could then re-enable DTS on my PS3 and get better sound? I notice whatever is getting passed when I play the Star Wars (DTS) Blu-rays sound...off. Much worse (sounds compressed) than something with a DD5.1 track. I know this might be defeating the purpose but I've found a number of receivers that have an optical out. I guess if the PLAYBAR were to add DTS one could always get that and run all components through the reciever? Just trying to sort all this out, thanks.
I have 10 sonos devices including playbar, sub and 2 surround play 3s. I have over 500 blu-rays that support DTS yet I can't play them on my shinny new playbar. I just swapped my yamaha soundbar which was working great with the sonos in hopes of getting the sonos experience to the tv. Unfortunately, really disappointed in finding out that DTS support is lacking. How can Sonos, in this day and age, not support a protocol that is supported by the lowest common denominator. Disappointed/Frustrated.
I totally agree. 100%. It is inconceivable it was brought out without? Sorry but this is one bad let down by sonos. It needs sorting ASAP
Like everyone, I am waiting badly for this! Implementing DTS would make this system one of the best.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Yes I agree DTS support is needed. I have got the Playbar +Sub +Play3s not setup as yet though
@Tom. Standard DTS can be passed through optical, although some early A/V receivers had trouble with a full-bitrate signal. HD DTS formats found on Blu-ray disks, such as DTS-HD Master Audio, are not available over optical.
I think they i.e. SONOS would add or would have added DTS support if they didn't stumble over a technical issue. E.g. getting the Play 3 to support DTS over the sonosnet protocol. So maybe the upgrade is much bigger/more difficult than we non-techies think it is. So the playbar alone with DTS is easy creating a wireless DTS surround system is the challenge...
I was so close to buy the all set with Playbar, Sub, and 2 x Play:1. Then i discovered this DTS non-support. My reaction was : "what a joke ! Dolby but not DTS ?!". How can you speak about home cinema with no DTS ? Impossible. Ready to pay 1600€, but with DTS. Otherwise i will buy nothing or something else to concurrent. So ridiculous...

If Sonos would really care about it´s customers they would find a way. Now they only find excuses  - (and helplessly watch their fans become into haters....)