Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 3

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Well I'm looking round to see if I can find a soundbar and sub (with Dts of course ) which has better or equal sound quality then I'll be emailing Sonos for a refund. £1200 ($1977) u can get some Gd equipment with that sort of money.
Userlevel 1
My Samsung UN65ES8000 definitely supports DTS and while I had the Playbar, I had to manually switch from the DTS soundtrack to PCM in order to get audio. This process was more of a pain than just putting back in my 5.1 system in my bedroom and just playing what audio track I wanted without having to first consider if the movie had DTS vs Dolby. What a waste of great tech.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
The more I think about the DTS issue the more it nags me like an annoying mosquito bite. The onus to research the product before purchasing is definitely on me but I (naively) just assumed that a premium home theater item like the PLAYBAR would just support everything. I mean sheesh, the PlayStation 2 and original Xbox had DTS support. Apples and oranges perhaps but still... I didn't really realize it didn't support DTS until I played my first DTS Blu-ray and had no sound. By then the ten day return period from the mom and pop store I got it from had passed otherwise I probably would have returned it. It's even more aggravating since just about every new Blu-ray the English audio track is DTS-HD or MA. I really hope they add support for it through a firmware update otherwise I may sell mine on eBay or something and look for something else.
Badge +2
I thought about this topic quite a while. I'm fully supporting this request, but I'm wondering what Sonos would pay to add DTS including surround sound playback? Would they have to pay DTS license fees for all speakers, since all have to support the playback of DTS sound as well for 5.1 sound? Or would they pay only for the sold playbars and use transcoding to send the sound to all other speakers? Wouldn't that bring an additional delay for the surround sound? I'm interested in your opinions.
The problem here is that the DTS decoding license fee isn't cheap, and the fee for transcoding is more expensive or impossible due to license terms. Neither dolby nor DTS like their audio streams be transcoded into the competitor format. Plus transcoding may increase the delay for the surround channels. So what to do?
Userlevel 2
"DTS support was not included in part because the vast majority of televisions do not pass DTS audio from their optical ports. This topic is currently marked as Under Consideration as a possible future enhancement."

To the Sonos gurus, most user's are not using the TV pass through function via the optical output. There are well known optical switches out there which are being used to feed sound direct from the component to the Playbar. One of these components is a DVD player and if the DVD is encoded for DTS only, then no sound is heard. Please forget the TV DTS pass through capability issue and realise that there are other options for feeding the sound from a device to the Playbar. Count my vote for DTS please.
Userlevel 2

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

I am returning my playbar bridge and 2 play 3. Let's see how good is Sonos word on the refund. Anybody who actually received a refund? Or returned their gear?
I would really really reaaalllyy love DTS support! A lot of my media has DTS tracks..
Userlevel 1
I am lucky that my TV passes through the ORIGINAL signal... But this is, with many BlueRay Disks, a DTS Signal, the Playbar can't handle!!!! TVs are not capable of recoding the original DTS signals from a BlueRay Player into DD 5.1... I am truly considering returning the Playbar together with the whole Sonos equipment, I bought for my house. It's quite too expensive to just play a 2.0 PCM downmix... And if I change to Teufel/Raumfeld Soundbar, I go all the way. Very disappointed!!! Best regards, Juergen
Andy, the product I'm taking about is the 'Cinebar 51 THX Streaming' bundle for 899,- EUR. It's the Cinebar 51 THX soundbar with 6 drivers for high & mid range and a corded active sub, both together a THX certified solution without rear speakers. This is bundled with a Raumfeld (by Teufel) connector² to use it for music, too. Unfortunately the Raumfeld connector² is not fully integrated into the soundbar and therefore adding wireless speakers to the soundbar as rear for a full 5.1 experience is not possible, but for music it works as good as the Sonos and also sounds much better, 'cause they offer a dedicated 'stereo mode' for listening to your music sources. Anyway the sound of the Raumfeld (by Teufel) wireless stereo speakers is blowing away the Sonos PLAY:3 and PLAY:5 easily, ‘cause Teufel is a very experienced supplier for mid- to high-end high fidelity speaker sets, too as you may recognize instantly on a first test. To be honest this system is also not a perfect solution to combine all your hifi stereo and 5.1 equipment into one, but it's at a minimum a good alternative solution for half the price. Therefore I’m still monitoring several Sonos PLAYBAR threads, ‘cause both systems are not a perfect match for my desired setup. Luckily I'm not in a customer lock-in situation, not to Sonos, not to Teufel and free to make a decision for a system as soon as one of the monitored suppliers offers 'my solution'. Best Regards Bernd
Userlevel 2
Another 3 months have passed since the last official anouncement - please make a decision one way or another!

Userlevel 3

I've been looking at the sony ht-st7... Looks pretty Gd from the review has 3 Hdmi inputs and supports all dts, dts Hd, dd, true dd.... U get the picture.... Ashame like Sonos but needs must
I'll buy a couple once DTS support is added.
no DTS = :- (
Can someone at Sonos please tell me why are you only just considering and not implementing, after all this time it must be you simply just cannot do it because you would be left with a lot of ex-DTS stock that will not sell possibly, just a thought.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Hahaha what a shit decision. Sonos will be the new Apple hahaha.
The lack of DTS renders some movies on BluRay un-watchable, The Lord of the Rings Extended Box Set for instance has one DTS-HD stream (which I know can't be decoded because the Play:Bar uses TOSLink), a 5.1 DTS English Stream and 4 Stereo Dolby Digital streams, but all the DD streams are director/production voiceovers, so you literally can't watch the film.. You guys need to add DTS urgently...
Dear Sonos, Was just about to purchase an additional Play 3, Sub and Playbar but after hearing (or not as the case will be) about the DTS issue I cant justify get the whole "5.1" setup if I wont be able to actually get true 5.1 - the fact that I would have to get an Optical Splitter further scuppers the deal 😞 Hope you heed all of the comments on here and get DTS added
Userlevel 2
I still can't believe that a simple yes or can take so much time. Last week I purchased a Sub afer I bought my playbar a half year ago. I'm still a very happy customer, but no additional products will be bought, for example: play1 or play x2 because fake surround is not what the customer is spending is money on when watching DTS encoded movies.

Come on Sonos let us hear your voice!

Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, Vudu, Xbox Video, Blu-Ray Disc's all use DTS.   I can't use 5.1 surround sound on any of those services.... I am a very upset customer. I want DTS support added ASAP. I didn't spend 2k for this 😞 - very dissatisfied customer.
I have to agree with Paul about the lack of DTS rendering BluRays unwatchable. Some BluRays state DTS, so it's obvious they won't work until support is added, but I also have some that state Dolby Digital 5.1 on the box and the Playbar still won't play them. Instead I have to run the audio through the TV which downsamples it to stereo. Otherwise I'm very happy with the Playbar.
I just returned my playbar. I am thinking about to sell all my equipment and get something else.
+1 I have 12 units, including 2 PLAYBARs and SUBs. Please add DTS support
Badge
It should be a simple yes or no answer, not an ambiguous "under consideration". They could be simply stringing people along with the potential of it coming to help claw at more unwary consumers. Makes me sick.

Just bought the system and realized I just wasted 2K on a system that is already out data. What a piece of junk. Taking it back tomorrow. 
Userlevel 1
From a product perspective the missing item is a SonosConnect with a digital input and no lag. I don't really care about the speakers on the Playbar. What I want is to get audio from the TV system into the rest of my Sonos kit without a 500ms lag.
It got even worse last night when I suddenly realised that ALL of my PS3 games have DTS audio tracks so I would have to put up with "faked" 5.1 which begs the question, can Sonos please demonstrate how we can enjoy 5.1 Wireless Surround IF blu-rays with DTS are incompatiable, PS3 games with DTS are incompatiable and XBOX 360 games with DTS also. Is this system setup only for Sky HD with Dolby connected via Optical, I cant see any other usage where we will get true 5.1 Dissapointed. I was going to throw down £1500+ to complete the system but without DTS it will now be £0