Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1
I have 10 sonos devices including playbar, sub and 2 surround play 3s. I have over 500 blu-rays that support DTS yet I can't play them on my shinny new playbar. I just swapped my yamaha soundbar which was working great with the sonos in hopes of getting the sonos experience to the tv. Unfortunately, really disappointed in finding out that DTS support is lacking. How can Sonos, in this day and age, not support a protocol that is supported by the lowest common denominator. Disappointed/Frustrated.
Badge
We should all be making this monumental flaw aware on their FACEBOOK page... I only took me one comment to cause a SONOS member to cover up what I said with total lies. 

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Very disappointed! Why do you tell your customers how they have to use the product? Why not listen to what your costumer's want? Ignoring this "most-wanted feature" makes the whole "Ideas"-Page ridiculous.
Userlevel 1
I agree; DTS support is not a nice-to-have but a basic requirement! http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/sonos-playbar/4505-7868_7-35609166-2.html I just spend EUR 2,000 on the complete SONOS 5.1 setup and the "upmixed" output on the 2 rear Play 3s while playing Game of Thrones from a regular DVD box is inconsistent and disappointing. NOTE: as stated in attached Playbar review, when you DO directly link your Blu-Ray DVD player to the Playbar via optical out, it DOES deliver a very good Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack as the movie director intended. As such I also bought AU-D41 Optical Audio Switcher which at least ensures that true Dolby Digital 5.1 or Dolby Digital Plus signal does not get degraded to PCM 2.0 stereo signal by the TV. This optical audi switcher does not produce any delays and costs just GBP 51; see below This does leave 2 issues: 1. Still my SONOS Playbar can't play any DTS content from Blu-Ray DVDs and as such my Game of Thrones Blu-Ray Season 2 box seems wasted. Unless... I again put the TV between the Blu-Ray DVD player and my Playbar but this results in an upmixed Dolby Prologic (fake 5.1) sound which doesn't convince or use the Play 3 rear channels consistently 2. SONOS decided last year not to deliver the SONOS subwoofer in matt black at GBP 100 discount yet had to reverse that decision after strong public demand on this forum. What would it take for SONOS to be honest about the lack of DTS support on the Playbar? Why does a GBP 250 home cinema set support DTS and my GBP 1,700 SONOS does not??? I don't believe for 1 minute that this is due to DTS licensing costs My SONOS dealer tells me that true DTS signal takes a lot more bandwidth than Dolby Digital 5.1 and that the SONOS wireless technology can't cope with this without causing too much delays/skipping sound. I WISH SONOS WAS WILLING TO SIMPLY GIVE US A REAL ANSWER AS TO WHY DTS SUPPORT FOR THE PLAYBAR WAS NOT INCLUDED FROM DAY ONE... http://www.simplysoundandvision.co.uk/acatalog/Installation_Accessories.html#aCYP_20AU_2dD41 The AU-D41 Optical Audio Switcher is ideal for use with the Sonos PLAYBAR if your television only has 2 channel Stereo from its optical output as the AU-D41 will send a 5.1 soundtrack from your sources to the PLAYBAR without downgrading them to a 2 channel signal. The AU-D41 has four optical inputs and one optical output. This device allows you to connect up to four optical sources to your PLAYBAR, for example your Blu-ray, Sky HD etc in addition to the TV with the ability to switch between sources whilst connected to your PLAYBAR. All signals are bypassed without delay. This device has 'last memory function' and an IR remote control for convenient use.
Userlevel 3
Think this feature has been under consideration for too long!? Vote for this: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/implement_customers_good_ideas_more_quickly
DTS is becoming more and more common, and it is certainly a strange decision that a high quality $700 sound bar (or $2000 5.1 setup) would lack DTS support. Until the playbar receives DTS support, there are several other outstanding options that can be purchased for far less than $2000 for a full 5.1, or even 7.1, setup.
Userlevel 1
Yes, please go to their Facebook page.
Maybe they'll feel more pressure if more than 250K people see this instead of a couple forumites.

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/sonos
Userlevel 2

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

I've just bought this...wanting to add this to my existing PLAY's but have been let down by the lack of DTS support.  I just assumed it would of supported DTS, DD and PCM audio... like any other cheaper soundbar.  More annoyed that this isn't a feature you'll include in the future.  I won't be buying 2 PLAY 1's now for my rear speakers...
Userlevel 1
"I WISH SONOS WAS WILLING TO SIMPLY GIVE US A REAL ANSWER AS TO WHY DTS SUPPORT FOR THE PLAYBAR WAS NOT INCLUDED FROM DAY ONE... " That is my biggest concern at this point. Without anything official from Sonos, I can't make a long term commitment on the Playbar. TBH, unless an official comment comes from Sonos on this subject very soon, I think we have to assume "no comment" is the official statement. That would lead me to believe that there are technical limitations stopping Sonos from adding DTS support and not just a licensing concern that can be fixed with a software update in the future. Either way, the Playbar I purchased is going back this week. It does sound very good but without DTS support, I do not think it is worth a purchase price of $700. Without DTS support, I would consider this in the midlevel soundbar or Play5 price range of $400.
I agree, was ready to purchase today, but with no dts, most of my media is unplayable. Disappointing.
I signed up for an account just so I could post in support of this. I was about to buy a couple of play 3's, a playbar, and play sub (along with a few play 5's for the bedrooms) when I found out the playbar lacked DTS support! Complete deal breaker for me unfortunately.
Hi John
how is the state after three months? "DTS" is Bluaray standard and here we have only stereo and not 5.1. With DVD we have AC3 5.1 but then a bad picture. Sonos advertises we bring your home theater to the rock. For me it rocks only in old DVD and not with Blueray.
What is the status?

@ All I do not like Facebook, but I have good connections to a few major newspapers in Germany publishers.
Userlevel 1

I'm returning my Playbar.
I'm in contact with some fella in the Netherlands but somehow the communication has slown down since I sent him the SN and proof of purchase.
He promised to get back to me on Friday, something he hasn't done, yet:(

I hope SONOS doesn't lie.
Userlevel 1
Did everyone see this on the live Q&A with the Playbar Engineers? COMMENT FROM JOEP Will the playbar support DTS? Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:20 HILMAR LEHNERT: Currently we don't support DTS as it's unlikely to be found on a optical output or and HDMI ARC. It's currently also not used for internet streaming either. Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:21 HILMAR LEHNERT: We could add it later through a software update Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:22 Here is the full Q&A https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/exclusive_live_chat_with_playbar_developers
Please add DTS!
As long as there are some people who create an account for the only reason beeing able to post here (...that the lack of DTS is a real dealbreaker) i feel there is still hope. I personally wait since more than a have year now and would heavily appreciate if there would be any movement to this issue. Not the kind of statement that it is still under consideration but anything more concrete, even if its bad news .....
Userlevel 2
I would like to see DTS Support Added As Well
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
I'm disgusted with your decision not to support DTS. Ever other soundbar on the market supports DTS and just because tv's don't support it does not mean people don't want to use an optical switch. This is a huge mistake on sonos behalf and will make a lot of people question the want for a playbar seeing as there are a lot of better options available on the market. A once loyal sonos user
i agree with sander, that the DTS may have more to do with bandwidth supported by the sonos net 2.0. also does DTS requires an additional chip to do the processing or can it be achieved using the existing HW in playbar and a software update?
Soooooooo disappointed with the Playbar now that I try to watch Life of Pi o Django and get no sound because of the lack of DTS support. I feel cheated. This is basic stuff guys. Fix it.
Userlevel 1
They would never say that they are not considering this or not going to provide this. This sort of bad news would mean people would skip on purchasing this unit. I already had a friend of mine balk at the idea and went and purchased a harmon kardon in favor of the playbar. He simply said that he can't justify getting something that doesn't support the basic audio formats other soundbars provide as a default set at a much lower cost of ownership. Too bad. I do feel the playbar is a superior soundbar but without DTS it's nothing but a good soundbar for just satellite/cable and not blu-ray. 90% of the movies I own are DTS only.
I would also would like it, I just hope it's a software update!

How can home theater at this price not support DTS. Many tv manufacturers support DTS. Your claim is now false Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Interesting... That seems to suggest that Wireless DTS is technically at least a possibility but let's hear it from SONOS Guys, please respond...
Userlevel 3
Soooooooo disappointed with the Playbar now that I try to watch Life of Pi o Django and get no sound because of the lack of DTS support. I feel cheated. This is basic stuff guys. Fix it.
Do you have the optical connected from your tv to PLAYBAR?