Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Badge +2
I thought about this topic quite a while. I'm fully supporting this request, but I'm wondering what Sonos would pay to add DTS including surround sound playback? Would they have to pay DTS license fees for all speakers, since all have to support the playback of DTS sound as well for 5.1 sound? Or would they pay only for the sold playbars and use transcoding to send the sound to all other speakers? Wouldn't that bring an additional delay for the surround sound? I'm interested in your opinions.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

There's nothing about this whole situation that makes sense. Personally, if the emotion of dissapointment overuled my logic I would be ranting like others about returning my whole system. On the contrary, ironically, I already owned a Samsung Bluray player that solved this issue. I am merely stating that I understand why others feel screwed over. I can certainly agree that all technical issues may not all be SONOS's fault. However, there's no question that the public's interpretation of their explanation is.
Userlevel 1
I think there are quite a lot of PLAYBAR owners that have not exactly connected it as someone at SONOS decided it should be connected. I have a "wireless" Sony TV, that unfortunately can only do 720p over the wireless connection, so I have hooked up the TV via the HDMI Monitor connection to get full HD. That does however mean that there is no audio out at all thru the optical connection, so my PLAYBAR is hooked up to the AV Receiver...
I am lucky that my TV passes through the ORIGINAL signal... But this is, with many BlueRay Disks, a DTS Signal, the Playbar can't handle!!!! TVs are not capable of recoding the original DTS signals from a BlueRay Player into DD 5.1... I am truly considering returning the Playbar together with the whole Sonos equipment, I bought for my house. It's quite too expensive to just play a 2.0 PCM downmix... And if I change to Teufel/Raumfeld Soundbar, I go all the way. Very disappointed!!! Best regards, Juergen
I thought about this topic quite a while. I'm fully supporting this request, but I'm wondering what Sonos would pay to add DTS including surround sound playback? Would they have to pay DTS license fees for all speakers, since all have to support the playback of DTS sound as well for 5.1 sound? Or would they pay only for the sold playbars and use transcoding to send the sound to all other speakers? Wouldn't that bring an additional delay for the surround sound? I'm interested in your opinions.
Good question! I'm interesting in the answer as well.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
They should be sued for false promotion.. Disgusting!!
Userlevel 1

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

How does you Samsung BluRay player solve this? Because is decodes Dolby Digital to is optical out? 
And how would you add a chromecast to your setup without the need to plug the optical cable back into the TV?
Does your Samsung BluRay player also have a HDMI in?
Mine only has one HDMI out and a HDMI port that says "Audio only" (whatever that means).
Once DTS works I will be adding the Playbar, the sub and 2x Play 3 to my house.
Since my new Playbar is not capable of handling the DTS Signals my TV passes through (normally, TVs are not capable of recoding the DTS signals from a BlueRay Player into DD... You are lucky if your TV even passes through the original Signal), I am truely considering returning the Playbar. It's quite too expensive to just play a 2.0 PCM downmix... Very disappointed!!!
The updated status is not even funny !
Userlevel 2
I just purchased the Sonos Playbar and the Sonos Sub to actually listen to the products despite the DTS limitation. Quite honestly, I love the system, but the lack of DTS support is a fatal flaw that is preventing it from even be considered a serious home theater component. Will return both tomorrow and will purchase the obvious competitor's product.

Sonos, please add DTS support to the Playbar, it's a great product with a terrible, unavoidable defect.

Do a search as many (smarter than I) have mentioned on various threads, several samsung blu ray players have the ability to convert DTS signals into Dolby Digital. Add an optical switch out to the playbar if you will be running multiple devices (not the ridiculously inferior plug it into a tv for glorious stereo to fake surround option being officially suggested).
Not happy Jan. AU$1k and no DTS. DTS soon please!
Userlevel 1
I am lucky that my TV passes through the ORIGINAL signal... But this is, with many BlueRay Disks, a DTS Signal, the Playbar can't handle!!!! TVs are not capable of recoding the original DTS signals from a BlueRay Player into DD 5.1... I am truly considering returning the Playbar together with the whole Sonos equipment, I bought for my house. It's quite too expensive to just play a 2.0 PCM downmix... And if I change to Teufel/Raumfeld Soundbar, I go all the way. Very disappointed!!! Best regards, Juergen
Juergen, you are absolutely right. Value for money is much better on Teufel/Raumfeld. You are going to get a THX(!) certified soundbar with DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Virtual Speaker, a THX(!) certified sub and a Raumfeld connector for about 899,- EUR. I returned my PLAYBAR and all the Sonos equipment, too. Make an educated guess that I’m looking for ;)) Best Regards Bernd
I saw one of these on demo yesterday and loved it. When I found it doesnt support DTS I bought the Yamaha YSP 2200. Shame, I love the wireless concept but you gotta fix the DTS issue!
Userlevel 2
Unbelievable, I just caught up on my emails and spotted the Playbar one. I cannot believe they are happily promoting with a thread like this just being ignored! I routinely recommend Sonos to anyone who is looking for something for music around the house, but this really is taking the piss. At least say that the Playbar won't be supporting it and then we can move on, or that some form of progress is being made. Where can we go next, Forums don't seem to do anything, facebook, doens't do anything....?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Is there a workaround to get dolby digital from the WD TV live media player? I have tons of movies in DTS but not getting dd from it.
Hi, I´ve the complete sonos surround sound system in my living room, but without DTS in the playbar a lot of fun is missing. Please upgrade the software with DTS.
Very disappointed there is no DTS support. Half my Blue-Ray collection won't play. Returning all 5.1 Playbar equipment.
+1 for DTS support, please Sonos embrace the demand for this request as most new Blu-Ray are just DTS.... please
Sonos please let us now!!! Will the Playbar support DTS or not?
Userlevel 1

People, 
we all know John is a "small light" in the Sonos organisation.
Paid to tell us what we want to hear, or in this case, try to convince us, that Playbar is a good product even without DTS support. 
Which it isn't!

I could write a long story here, how I have send many improvement suggestions (more sensitive volume control especially in the low volume range, ramp up the alarm volume over a couple of minutes, put a sleep button on the widget, include google all music,...)  to Sonos from the early days, but nothing of it ever made it into their software.
Because they back office ignores what we write here. they follow their own "plans" for function integration, which look to me, as if they were prioritized by someone who has never red this forum in his life. 

Our ideas and complaints might get forwarded to their "developer team", but there seems either not enough capacity, or not enough talent to implement it.
Or some director does not see the benefit to invest money in DTS support.

So i say: let's stop talking and start acting.

More than 1400 people back up this DTS topic here. 

Let's all apply for a refund, and return our Playbar, Sub (if you have), and Play3 or Play1 that you might have bought as surround speakers to Sonos, with the simple reason: 
Not fit for intended use - does not support DTS.

If all of us 1400 frustrated user only return a Playbar, Sonos looses 1400 x 650 USD = almost 1mio USD turnover.
Add some 700-800 Subs and Play3 pairs to it, and it could sum up to almost 2mio USD.

Plus the additional loss of turn over by our recommendation to not buy Sonos products to our 1400 x approx. 500+ = 700.000+ friends on Facebook and Twitter.

I hope this will give Sonos senior management enough reason to reconsider investing into DTS support.
Userlevel 1
I have to agree with what everyone here has said about the Sonos Playbar. In the past few years since Sonos has been on the market, I personally have been an advocate of the tech and recommending it to anyone that I know that was interested in a home audio solution that simply worked. Now comes the playbar without DTS support (something that has been available since the stone-ages). I myself purchased a playbar to see how it sounds, but quickly found out that the lack of DTS support IS a deal breaker and I returned it quickly to BestBuy. I had plans on switching all of my 5.1 systems to the Playbar, Play3/5 and the sub (with the exception of the home theater), but that will be money that I will just spend somewhere else. It is said that Sonos could not get their act together before launching this product to the market. Something that they decision-makers should realize very soon is that the American consumer is very finicky. Something like simply excluding DTS support for a product that has promise is enough to push us to alternative solutions (and never look back again). Just my .02.
Just had a look at their website but all I can see are sound bars with 2 speakers?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Cant believe just got a promotional email on playbar stating it is a complete package for surround sound! They should be dragged to consumer court for false marketing!