Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 1
I would love to see DTS support please. I have one Playbar on the way but with DTS I will get another sub and a couple more Playbars. Love my Sonos system 🙂
Badge +1
It feels daft to me this hasn't already been implemented and is still only under consideration. No doubt there's is some cost attached to having the DTS codec, but when a full 5.1 setup costs around £1700, and pretty much all competitors are able to decode DTS, it's a major oversight not to include it. Particularly as it also transpires *most* TVs – even this year's new Panasonics – only pass 2.1 from the optical outputs. That will lead a lot of users, including me, to hooking up their AV gear direct to the Playbar (I use a Toslink switch). Factor in that the majority of Blur-rays opt for DTS as standard, and getting a 5.1 signal working properly with a Playbar becomes less likely and more of a ballache. Come on Sonos, sort it out. Or at least let us know what you've decided to do.
Userlevel 2
I already have two connects and a connect amp. I will not buy a playbar, sub, and wireless rears until this obvious connectivity issue is resolved.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Or maybe DTS requires a hardware solution and the software only solution proposed by Sonos was rejected.  Certainly a more fitting explanation for 1 year of time between proposing it and calling it off than "SONOS just didn't want to pay for DTS. Period."  If they didn't want to pay for it, why take a year to decide, and then offer to refund the purchases of disappointed people for up to a year past warranty?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
On average, more than two requests per day have been added to this thread since it was originally posted. Says it all really.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Why after 6 months and lots and lots of comments has there been no further statement from Sonos. At least acknowledge that you are reading these comments and that this topic is still under consideration and is being studied further. It seems as if your customers are posting lots of comments against an uncaring company.
This is an astonishing thread. I'm glad I found it before purchasing a Playbar so that I was able to think again and save wasting my cash. The official responses are a joke. No new information to be shared? Incredibly unlikely. I imagine there is a heap of information to be shared, but it's likely that it's not good news and so Sonos keeps quiet. Why else would people be kept waiting for so many months for something like this? Imagine if the Play 1 had released with no support for MP3 or FLAC, and then people had to wait 9 months for any concrete news.

Something bad this way comes, and it's probably called Playbar 2.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

Seems fair. I mean like you say it's not designed for that. so i assume you are going to stop trying to sell it as a surround sound system. Take all references to it being a surround sound system from your website as it cannot really handle the basics that almost EVERY OTHER surround sound system can handle?
Rather upset at the lack of DTS, have the playbar and two Play:3s setup, Sub on the way. Please implement this 🙂
So, I already posted once on this topic, but I need to add something: While I am keeping my Playbar because it's "just good enough" so far for me (DTS would make it actually "good", while not "great"), I really considered giving a new Playbar as a gift to my dad, but won't JUST because of the lack of DTS support!! My dad has all his music digitalized and is currently looking for a soundbar. I would LOVE him to have the Playbar and enter the "Sonos world", because I know he would love it, because it just works and is good quality. Nevertheless, because of the DTS issue, it doesn't really "just work" anymore and I don't want to bring a gift that causes more trouble than anything else... Until Sonos fixes this, I think my dad will have bought the Bose Solo (which he will need to buy himself, because I am not a fan), just because it is cheaper. This actually saddens me a little as it would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce my father to the joys of Sonos streaming and Internet streaming in general. But well...
Badge +18
Why after 6 months and lots and lots of comments has there been no further statement from Sonos. At least acknowledge that you are reading these comments and that this topic is still under consideration and is being studied further. It seems as if your customers are posting lots of comments against an uncaring company.
Hi JohnD, We are reading all these comments, this topic is still under consideration, and it is being studied further. The original response posted at the top of the thread still stands. While we've been active in the thread since that was posted, it's the current status, so we've left it. It might be time to refresh the statement though. Rest assured, every comment posted in this topic is read by Sonos (usually more than once).
I want DTS support now :-)
count my vote
Userlevel 2

Very poor. I replaced an old Yamaha amp that supported dts with this system. Come on sonos. Listen to your customers.slot of us have spent thousands on this gear yet a $400 cheap surround sound system supports more features
Plz can some guru or sonos rep tell me why 1: no HDMI 2: no DTS 3: crossover frequency and freq response for playbar in spec sheet or for that matter other sonos components.
So, I already posted once on this topic, but I need to add something: While I am keeping my Playbar because it's "just good enough" so far for me (DTS would make it actually "good", while not "great"), I really considered giving a new Playbar as a gift to my dad, but won't JUST because of the lack of DTS support!! My dad has all his music digitalized and is currently looking for a soundbar. I would LOVE him to have the Playbar and enter the "Sonos world", because I know he would love it, because it just works and is good quality. Nevertheless, because of the DTS issue, it doesn't really "just work" anymore and I don't want to bring a gift that causes more trouble than anything else... Until Sonos fixes this, I think my dad will have bought the Bose Solo (which he will need to buy himself, because I am not a fan), just because it is cheaper. This actually saddens me a little as it would have been the perfect opportunity to introduce my father to the joys of Sonos streaming and Internet streaming in general. But well...
I think if you are useing (or your dad) the Playbar standalone (that mean without Sub + 2 Play:3), and if we suppose that DTS will be supported, you will not ear big difference between DTS, DD, PCM sources. I´m not sure to be clear, DTS make sense only in 5.1 mode, not with the Playbar standalone.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi John M, I appreciate you finally posting a response but in doing so you are just confirming what we have all been complaining about. We as a group of Sonos customers want more information as to the state of decision making and what the drivers of that decision will be. The communication in here should be 2 way, in line with modern customer service and relationships practice. It is in some ways more frustrating to know that comments are read and then 'ignored'. It would not be unrealistic to expect weekly updates to the small number of significant topics, as long as they weren't revealing trade secrets. Best regards, Neil
Add me to the list. Was going to pull the trigger on a play bar and sub after my play 3 and bridge purchase. Love the streaming features of it so far. But without something as basic as DTS support... Not going to drop the cash on something that won't deliver the ultimate surround experience as your company plasters all over my tv in commercial form every 30 minutes. You're loosing lots of customers SONOS. Sort it.
Userlevel 3

More features? That's a little unfair. Before i bought playbar as my surround system, I looked into all options. But playbar definitely had more features/benefits for me...and sounded better than the surround systems around the same price.
Badge +18
Plz can some guru or sonos rep tell me why 1: no HDMI 2: no DTS 3: crossover frequency and freq response for playbar in spec sheet or for that matter other sonos components.
Hi djay, Sonos made a deliberate design decision not to include an HDMI port on the PLAYBAR. We expect that more and more video will be streamed directly from the internet to the TV and in this case the optical output is by far the easiest and best way to stream audio to PLAYBAR. DTS support was not included in part because the vast majority of televisions do not pass DTS audio from their optical ports. This topic is currently marked as Under Consideration as a possible future enhancement. Sonos does not provide these figures because we do not believe that specs tell the whole story. This is consistent with all other Sonos products. Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Not strictly true. A DTS 5.1 source contains 6 distinct channels of audio. A PLAYBAR alone is able to reproduce 3 of those. Add a sub and you can reproduce 4. If you convert DTS 5.1 to PCM 2.0, you only get 2 channels. There is a massive difference in quality, mainly down to the centre channel which carries speech.
Badge +18
Hi Neil, Thanks for sharing your point of view. I do want to make it clear that comments aren't ignored. Both what people say and how many say it are reviewed internally by Sonos as part of the consideration of the topic. Typically, we share information as it becomes available. At least in the context of this topic, there's nothing new which we can disclose and hasn't been for a little while. I understand that you'd like more insight into what's going on at Sonos and where we're at with this request. All I can say at the moment is that we'll provide more information when it's available. John
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality even DTS-HD Sources play on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files

To return or not to return - that is the question.  I think that it's otherwise a great system and I guess that's what SONOS is counting on.  A lot people are not going to go through the hassle of returning 4 components and re configuring their whole sound system.  I am shocked by the whole thing.  If it's a money issue couldn't they charge for an upgrade or something like that?
Userlevel 1
On my blu-ray player I currently have these settings;
  • Dolby digital -> output bitstream / dolby digital
  • Stereo -> output bitstream / PCM
  • DTS -> output downmix stereo PCM
I have to watch hi-def movie content with a stereo soundtrack. Can this be addressed please ? Thank you.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
I was very excited when I saw that this product was becoming available, and was really keen to add it to my extensive Sonos systems...but I will now wait to see if improvements will be added to future versions. I hope for the sake of everybody who has already made the purchase that the DTS change can be implemented through a software solution, rather than a change in the hardware. That said, a HDMI input port sounds like it would be a nice touch.