Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Why after 6 months and lots and lots of comments has there been no further statement from Sonos. At least acknowledge that you are reading these comments and that this topic is still under consideration and is being studied further. It seems as if your customers are posting lots of comments against an uncaring company.
Hi John M Thank you for responding to this post thread. It is good to know that this topic is reviewed. I hope like many others that there will be some positive news from Sonos soon on this issue. There are many of us who love the Sonos product but feel that this issue should be dealt with rapidly as it seems to be a clear mistake that DTS is missing.
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality even DTS-HD Sources play on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

@Jgatie-  my point was only to say why not be more transparent? If what you said was what actually happened I could completely respect that. After all, why should SONOS damage their rep because of external factors beyond their control? Just say that a software only solution couldn't be reached rather than implying that it could be done but because "most tv's don't pass DTS" we aren't going to do it. A FAR SMARTER move would at least imply that they REALLY wanted to satisfy their customers. I can only speak for myself but I certainly didn't get the impression that they cared about their customer's needs whatsoever. As far as the returns go...calculated risk. Far more people on these boards say they will return their equipment than will actually do it. It is a great piece that sounds great. It's just not the fully functional surround sound solution that's being advertised.
Plz can some guru or sonos rep tell me why 1: no HDMI 2: no DTS 3: crossover frequency and freq response for playbar in spec sheet or for that matter other sonos components.
Thanks, for the reply John. I agree 100% with the fact that numbers don't tell the complete story but why not make it a public knowledge...well its sonos call.... But i don't agree with the DTS (i like that it is under consideration) or HDMI decision. Also is there a option for room correction for the 5.1 setup ? (i felt that the speakers did not get along well with each other) P.S. I am happy with the connect player 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I was very excited when I saw that this product was becoming available, and was really keen to add it to my extensive Sonos systems...but I will now wait to see if improvements will be added to future versions. I hope for the sake of everybody who has already made the purchase that the DTS change can be implemented through a software solution, rather than a change in the hardware. That said, a HDMI input port sounds like it would be a nice touch.
Yeah, I'm hopeful DTS can be added through a software/firmware update and will be extremely disappointed if it can only be implemented with a hardware revision.
Dear Sonos, Although it's nice to see you're still monitoring this issue, you really are about to run out of time with the DTS support issue. I've been planning to buy a soundbar-based system for some months now and I simply love both the concept and especially the design of Sonos, but as long as DTS isn't supported in a product that is advertised as an easy and comprehensive 5.1 solution, I just can't make myself to spend my money on your product. This is of course only my opinion, but based on the general feedback on this thread I clearly aren't alone in my opinion. You have been able to get away for a while with delaying the DTS support decision since your product is really awesome in general, but as there are currently multiple competing products with similar sound quality *and* the DTS support (plus multiple HDMI-inputs), the shortcomings of the soundbar are really starting to hurt it bad as the lack of DTS support has been just too much of a deal breaker to me and apparently to many, many other potential Sonos customers. As the things stand now, there is no reason for me not to get one of the alternatives with none of the glaring problems (lack of DTS and HDMI support) of Sonos. Yes, each of them will be a compromise aesthetically and also in terms of loosing the nicely flexible Sonos architecture, but that's a compromise I'm just too live with if you are unable or unwilling to address at least the DTS issue. Also as a final comment. I really, *really* hope that if you eventually end up supporting DTS that you won't shaft your existing customer base and release the DTS support only in the next physical iteration of the soundbar instead of a patch to the current model. If that happens, I'll pretty much drop Sonos as a possible alternative for my media needs. And yes, I really do like your product enough to actually go through the trouble of creating a Sonos account, just so that I could leave the feedback here, that's how much people like what you do. So please, return the sentiment and listen to your customers. Good ideas and engineering (and bad software decisions) will only take you so far if you keep ignoring what your customer base is trying to tell you. Best regards, Mikko M.
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality even DTS-HD Sources play on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

How should I know? I'm not privy to the inner workings of audio codec licenses. I do know that when given the choice between "they hate their customers" and "it was beyond their control", I believe that most companies tend toward the latter, no matter what the public facade. Assuming the former without considering the latter is letting the emotion of disappointment rule out over logic. No company with the successful run like Sonos takes an entire year to make a decision that boils down to "Hahah, let's screw our customers and take another enormous publicity hit because we are cheap!" It is too simplistic and makes no sense. So there must be a lot more going on behind the scenes.
Userlevel 3
Along with no DTS support...why not add 4XHDMI in. Sonos always touts the ease of use so why not add to it and make it the nerve center of media room, is it that expensive? i hate to say is sonos turning into bose v2.0. there are so many user who are trying to find a work around this prob. and still paying heft price for sonos. on the weekend i listen to sonos 5.1 sys in BB, here are my impression ill keep it short... 1: The system lacked cohesion as whole, may be the setup was wrong. 2: Speakers are tad bright and may lead to listening fatigue. 3: Impressive for movies not for music. So-No... till i see steps in right direction
Wish it were DC
Userlevel 2
Are you people actually reading the posts above you? It's clearly stated that, if Sonos wants to, DTS can be added via a software update...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
John - thanks for your update. However it actually leaves me more uneasy than before. You acknowledge that many existing and potential customers are clamoring for DTS support but the fact that that there's nothing new to disclose and hasnt been for a while suggests a) you're too busy with other more important things (?) so havent really had the time to look into it or b) you've looked into it and its only possible with new hardware so you'll just keep quiet until Playbar MkII is ready or c) its a noisy minority that are complaining and the costs of licensing and implementation outweigh additional revenue that would be generated. You wont be doing it but rather keep people hoping for as long as possible to sell a few more units or d) you are really seriously considering it and your engineers are hard at it but haven't yet ironed out all the details so don't want to announce anything prematurely. I really hope its d) but since several months have elapsed already for the technical aspects to be handled I more suspect its one of the others. any more indication you can give us ? thanks, Nick
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another promotional email this morning:

'Hear every detail'.......

https://sonos.custhelp.com/ci/documents/view/1/AvUa~wozFP8SLvHDGoke~yL~Jvsq~zT~_8VVMDr~
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos have already said a few times that the lack of DTS is not a technical limitation of the product. It is therefore EITHER - a licensing issue with DTS not permitting a software decoding licence or making it prohibitively expensive from Sonos' point of view OR - a commercial decision that the cost of licensing and implementing the appropriate changes to support DTS would not yield sufficient additional revenue to make it worthwhile. I think its probably the latter, and must be be very difficult to quantify, but they've taken a gamble on it anyway. Probably upsetting a handful of people (in proportion to those happy with the product) is a risk worth taking even if that noisy minority go around slagging off Sonos to their friends and family etc. When DTS is widely supported by TVs and streaming services then it will be different matter entirely since the product will no longer be fit for purpose, even in the supported configuration. I hope Sonos revisit this decision sooner rather than later but am not holding out for it any more.
sad that sonos isnt giving the people (customers) who keep the company going something they need and want. Just so frustrating. John M please tell Sonos that people truly are begging for DTS.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Are you people actually reading the posts above you? It's clearly stated that, if Sonos wants to, DTS can be added via a software update...
I think the main reason people keep doubting this is because it's not there already. If they can implement DTS in software, why isn't it there already? With devices on sale for £20-30 that support DTS, it surely can't be a price issue?
Badge +18
Hi everyone,

There's been a lot of activity on this topic in the last few weeks and we know you'd all like to know more.

A decision to add DTS decoding to PLAYBAR has not been made. We hear the request. This feature is under consideration, but we have no further details to share at this time. When the status of Under Consideration changes to either Planned or Not Planned, this community will be among the first to know.

For reference we have published and updated a set of idea status definitions in another topic.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
i also received the email promoting the playbar as able to play everything connected to your TV with full surround.
With all the recent comments on this forum and Facebook, it seems very clear to me that regardless of the official comment that SONOS hears the request, they don't give a damn about customer satisfaction and are only concerned with selling.
I am amazed at the lack of connection between their marketing department and listening to customers.
Userlevel 1
Badge

This really can not be! There are only few TV's supporting 5.1. most of them only support 2.0. So why shall a customer buy a 5.1 system from SONOS for about 2000 Bugs when the system is only usable as a 2.0!!!

very poor!!!!!

Peter
Userlevel 1
please add DTS, my whole library has DTS 😞 For this kind of money, it should be available
Userlevel 2
It's possible to implement DTS support in software. Though it's unsure if/when Sonos will do it. Big company == slow decisions...
I for one will not purchase until DTS is added. With new systems such as Pure and Cambridge audio making push in the market, Sonos would do well to listen to their loyal customers.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
BTW it was also very upsetting to see the email headline for the playbar... Hear Every Detail !!
The disconnect between the marketing messages and reality is astounding

Looser attitude,unfortunatly this company have no ethics 
Remember Kodak,they don't followed the digital camera tendency.....they failed
Userlevel 1
97th vote from me. DTS is a MUST. I love my Playbar, but the lack of DTS support is really really disappointing.
Since my new