Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

this can not be true...
Hi
how is the state after three months? "DTS" is Bluaray standard and here we have only stereo and not 5.1. With DVD we have AC3 5.1 but then a bad picture. Sonos advertises we bring your home theater to the rock. For me it rocks only in old DVD and not with Blueray.
What is the status?

@ All I do not like Facebook, but I have good connections to a few major newspapers in Germany publishers.
Badge +18

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

@kokki.k

Thanks for your patience, the information you sent in is being reviewed.  You should hear back from us today.
Userlevel 3
Interesting... That seems to suggest that Wireless DTS is technically at least a possibility but let's hear it from SONOS Guys, please respond...
Hello Sander, Hilmar is our lead product architect and developer for the PLAYBAR. Best Regards Mike
Soooooooo disappointed with the Playbar now that I try to watch Life of Pi o Django and get no sound because of the lack of DTS support. I feel cheated. This is basic stuff guys. Fix it.
Yep. Had to do it because it didn't work direct from the ps3. Just a few blu rays. The sound from the ps3 is richer and bolder, from the tv you can tell is a simulation. Guess I'll have to wait for the fix... It's a lot of money for a sound sistem that doesn't support True DTS. THX.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks Oliver, we should use social media by all means to bring this out in public. May be then they would take a stance..
Userlevel 2

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

@kokki.k I'm facing the same thing, after giving the proof of purchase. I hope sonos honors their word. They said they are checking if I bought my sonos under authorize retailers, the store I bought it from is the only Sonos distributor in Singapore. What is more frustrating is that they will refund in USD price of the item and not how much I bought it in Singapore dollars. So depending how this goes I might actually be losing a few hundred dollars
Interesting... That seems to suggest that Wireless DTS is technically at least a possibility but let's hear it from SONOS Guys, please respond...
Hi Mike C, I'm on the verge of returning my PLAYBAR because of the lack of DTS, so some sort of comment yay or nay would be very appreciated..
Userlevel 3
Soooooooo disappointed with the Playbar now that I try to watch Life of Pi o Django and get no sound because of the lack of DTS support. I feel cheated. This is basic stuff guys. Fix it.
Oh gotcha, I thought you weren't getting sound when it was hooked up to you TV...sry.
Userlevel 2
They would never say that they are not considering this or not going to provide this. This sort of bad news would mean people would skip on purchasing this unit. I already had a friend of mine balk at the idea and went and purchased a harmon kardon in favor of the playbar. He simply said that he can't justify getting something that doesn't support the basic audio formats other soundbars provide as a default set at a much lower cost of ownership. Too bad. I do feel the playbar is a superior soundbar but without DTS it's nothing but a good soundbar for just satellite/cable and not blu-ray. 90% of the movies I own are DTS only.
I agree - I can't honestly believe that the decision to support (or not) DTS takes this long. It's a far better (if cynical) commercial strategy to leave the question hanging than to confirm that it will not happen or that it is not possible. I'll be pleasantly but deeply surprised if DTS support happens now.
I too wish I could get true 5.1...I've started reencoding my library with dual audio where available, but most blurays simply don't have dolby audio, it's all dts-hd, and in cases where it has acs 5.1, it's only for french/spanish/etc tracks.

PLEASE give us dts. Like many others with the playbar, I'm very much invested in this system, and I don't want to get anything else. With Bose and Samsung pushing the wifi audio thing, would it not make sense to make this happen? I mean, it's not some strange and obscure audio format, it's pretty common.
Userlevel 1

@John M.

Thank you John.
Indeed, I got a message that SONOS' Return Dpt. is processing my request and they will get back to me soon.
Well, it's the 13th day today since my first mail... 

@John Edrian Lomoljo

I'm very sorry about your situation and I'm afraid that it's going to be a similar deal in my case, too. I paid in Euro in a large department store in Germany.
I'll keep you updated, please do so, too.
Thanks!
Badge +1
Did everyone see this on the live Q&A with the Playbar Engineers? COMMENT FROM JOEP Will the playbar support DTS? Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:20 HILMAR LEHNERT: Currently we don't support DTS as it's unlikely to be found on a optical output or and HDMI ARC. It's currently also not used for internet streaming either. Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:21 HILMAR LEHNERT: We could add it later through a software update Wednesday February 20, 2013 10:22 Here is the full Q&A https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/exclusive_live_chat_with_playbar_developers
I'm finding that Netflix doesn't stream a lot of content with 5.1 - GRRR
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
Nothing new!?
Lack of dts decoding is the #1 thing keeping me from getting a playbar. I love my other sonos components. With the addition of the play 1 and its ability for two to be used as the rear surround speakers, it seemed like sonos had a legit 5.1 system. But there is no way I'd get equipment that won't play audio from most blu rays.
Userlevel 1

From my point of view Sonos is an unfrank pure profit organization:

Sonos buffaloed PLAYBAR owners for more than 12 month with ‘Under Consideration’
statements to make them keep a damn bad hardware not suitable to handle DTS 5.1
due to technically limitations.

I’m absolutely sure, Sonos knew at any point in time the DTS 5.1 solution a lot of their customers asked for will never ever work on those failure-by-design PLAYBARs.

Go out and give them the shitstorm they deserve !
Userlevel 3
Hello Paul, This Idea is currently Under Consideration which indicates that we have not yet decided on a development plan. If the Idea gets committed for development we will mark the status as Planned. Mike
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Hello, have a question to the community who own a Playbar. If we supposed that the Playbar supports DTS, does your TV support DTS passthrough over the optical cable? I think the most of us have to buy an additional optical audio switch.
Can DTS even be passed through an optical cable?
I want to add Playbars to two of my TVs, but I won't do that until DTS is supported.
Badge +18
Everyone, a note on comments.  

We are actively moderating discussion in this thread and removing posts that contain inappropriate language.  If your post contains language which is not suitable for a wide audience, it will be removed.

Thank you for your understanding.
I'm going to have to vote for DTS as well here. Although, I just found out about most TVs not pushing out 5.1 and I'm pretty shocked, I'm considering returning my playbar, 2 play:3s and sub because of these issues.
Userlevel 1
Yes it can.
Yes I purchased bar surround 3, not cheap. Used optical switch, Perfect on sky, Perfect on Apple TV No output on most blu ray DVD. Can't alter most either. Will play ordinary DVD fine. Yes sort DTS as soon as possible. Apps and connectivity great, thanks for that. A great system.
Userlevel 2
Badge
when will DTS be supported. it's unbelievable that it is not!
i can't watch most of my movies which are in DTS only!