Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Userlevel 2
A hifi homecinema soundbar without dts support seems not up to date for me. Are there any plans to add dts support?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Badge +2
I thought about this topic quite a while. I'm fully supporting this request, but I'm wondering what Sonos would pay to add DTS including surround sound playback? Would they have to pay DTS license fees for all speakers, since all have to support the playback of DTS sound as well for 5.1 sound? Or would they pay only for the sold playbars and use transcoding to send the sound to all other speakers? Wouldn't that bring an additional delay for the surround sound? I'm interested in your opinions.
The problem here is that the DTS decoding license fee isn't cheap, and the fee for transcoding is more expensive or impossible due to license terms. Neither dolby nor DTS like their audio streams be transcoded into the competitor format. Plus transcoding may increase the delay for the surround channels. So what to do?
+1 I have 12 units, including 2 PLAYBARs and SUBs. Please add DTS support
Userlevel 1
I have 10 sonos devices including playbar, sub and 2 surround play 3s. I have over 500 blu-rays that support DTS yet I can't play them on my shinny new playbar. I just swapped my yamaha soundbar which was working great with the sonos in hopes of getting the sonos experience to the tv. Unfortunately, really disappointed in finding out that DTS support is lacking. How can Sonos, in this day and age, not support a protocol that is supported by the lowest common denominator. Disappointed/Frustrated.
DTS is becoming more and more common, and it is certainly a strange decision that a high quality $700 sound bar (or $2000 5.1 setup) would lack DTS support. Until the playbar receives DTS support, there are several other outstanding options that can be purchased for far less than $2000 for a full 5.1, or even 7.1, setup.
I signed up for an account just so I could post in support of this. I was about to buy a couple of play 3's, a playbar, and play sub (along with a few play 5's for the bedrooms) when I found out the playbar lacked DTS support! Complete deal breaker for me unfortunately.
As long as there are some people who create an account for the only reason beeing able to post here (...that the lack of DTS is a real dealbreaker) i feel there is still hope. I personally wait since more than a have year now and would heavily appreciate if there would be any movement to this issue. Not the kind of statement that it is still under consideration but anything more concrete, even if its bad news .....
Userlevel 1
They would never say that they are not considering this or not going to provide this. This sort of bad news would mean people would skip on purchasing this unit. I already had a friend of mine balk at the idea and went and purchased a harmon kardon in favor of the playbar. He simply said that he can't justify getting something that doesn't support the basic audio formats other soundbars provide as a default set at a much lower cost of ownership. Too bad. I do feel the playbar is a superior soundbar but without DTS it's nothing but a good soundbar for just satellite/cable and not blu-ray. 90% of the movies I own are DTS only.
this can not be true...
Userlevel 2
They would never say that they are not considering this or not going to provide this. This sort of bad news would mean people would skip on purchasing this unit. I already had a friend of mine balk at the idea and went and purchased a harmon kardon in favor of the playbar. He simply said that he can't justify getting something that doesn't support the basic audio formats other soundbars provide as a default set at a much lower cost of ownership. Too bad. I do feel the playbar is a superior soundbar but without DTS it's nothing but a good soundbar for just satellite/cable and not blu-ray. 90% of the movies I own are DTS only.
I agree - I can't honestly believe that the decision to support (or not) DTS takes this long. It's a far better (if cynical) commercial strategy to leave the question hanging than to confirm that it will not happen or that it is not possible. I'll be pleasantly but deeply surprised if DTS support happens now.
Nothing new!?
Yes I purchased bar surround 3, not cheap. Used optical switch, Perfect on sky, Perfect on Apple TV No output on most blu ray DVD. Can't alter most either. Will play ordinary DVD fine. Yes sort DTS as soon as possible. Apps and connectivity great, thanks for that. A great system.
I have to agree. At £600 ukp it's not cheap. DTS NEEDS SORTING. I am surprised it was brought out without!
I have 10 sonos devices including playbar, sub and 2 surround play 3s. I have over 500 blu-rays that support DTS yet I can't play them on my shinny new playbar. I just swapped my yamaha soundbar which was working great with the sonos in hopes of getting the sonos experience to the tv. Unfortunately, really disappointed in finding out that DTS support is lacking. How can Sonos, in this day and age, not support a protocol that is supported by the lowest common denominator. Disappointed/Frustrated.
I totally agree. 100%. It is inconceivable it was brought out without? Sorry but this is one bad let down by sonos. It needs sorting ASAP
I think they i.e. SONOS would add or would have added DTS support if they didn't stumble over a technical issue. E.g. getting the Play 3 to support DTS over the sonosnet protocol. So maybe the upgrade is much bigger/more difficult than we non-techies think it is. So the playbar alone with DTS is easy creating a wireless DTS surround system is the challenge...
Please add DTS support for my playbar
Bonjour, Tout d'abord mon anglais n'est pas top donc je vous réponds en français. N'espérez pas une mise à jour magique pour le DTS HD la bande passante d'une liaison optique ne permet tout simplement pas de laisser passer ce signal. Il faudrait donc ajouter une prise HDMI et c'est assez difficile à faire passer par le net 🙂 En attendant je vous conseil de télécharger vos films en 1080 et AC3 5.1 (on trouve ça sur le net:-) et de profiter d'une image impeccable et d'un son irréprochable avec votre playbar,sub et vos deux play 3. Pierre Parmentier (distributeur SONOS)
Bonjour, Tout d'abord mon anglais n'est pas top donc je vous réponds en français. N'espérez pas une mise à jour magique pour le DTS HD la bande passante d'une liaison optique ne permet tout simplement pas de laisser passer ce signal. Il faudrait donc ajouter une prise HDMI et c'est assez difficile à faire passer par le net 🙂 En attendant je vous conseil de télécharger vos films en 1080 et AC3 5.1 (on trouve ça sur le net:-) et de profiter d'une image impeccable et d'un son irréprochable avec votre playbar,sub et vos deux play 3. Pierre Parmentier (distributeur SONOS)
The only two ways to get DTS-HD Audio is either via HDMI to a receiver that can decode it, or from a 6-channel analog output from Blu-ray players that have such outputs, and a receiver that has a multi-channel input. http://www.dts.com/~/media/f9fc96f2da74436bae7ffbf4fa094eda/DTS_Blu_ray_infosheet.pdf http://hometheaterreview.com/dts-hd-master-audio/ Pour ceux qui ne parlent pas français 😉
Une solution intermédiaire serait de rendre la playbar compatible avec le DTS core (bande passante inférieure mais qualité très acceptable) https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dts%20core&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CE8QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hdfever.fr%2F2009%2F03%2F09%2Fdigital-theater-system-dts-hd-master-audio%2F&ei=41xRUoTTHc2R7Abt5IGgDQ&usg=AFQjCNFqGet_rzYUB7_VyWjr03zlfhDpEA&sig2=Pf-GrAjU4GuPJfsgUIdK6Q&bvm=bv.53537100,d.Yms
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
+1 on DTS support. This is a basic feature in today's technology, and considering the price of playbar, it should come out of the box!! Please add the DTS support ASAP!
Badge
+1, Pls add DTS support!
Userlevel 2
I will not be buying a sound bar until it offers DTS support. This is a shame because I love my other Sonos kit
Userlevel 2
Quite honestly this sounds like a complete cop-out! Hundreds of your customers, and no doubt thousands of potential customers, request what seems to be a fundamental requirement of any TV sound bar (never mind one advertised as "playing all sources") and yet you continue to ignore them. Poor show Sonos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
regarding the issue of whether a DTS decoded signal can be sent wirelessly to the rear channels, LG have managed it with this: http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-bh9430pw_Surround-Sound-System_review ...and all that for the price of 1 playbar !!!
Userlevel 2
I for one will not purchase until DTS is added. With new systems such as Pure and Cambridge audio making push in the market, Sonos would do well to listen to their loyal customers.
I agree 100%
Userlevel 2
Sam I agree 100% too