Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Badge
I already am a great Sonos fan. I have five zones and a controller. I would buy a playbar, 2x play 1 and a sub tomorrow if if would have at least 4 HDMI inputs and DTS support. You want to connect it to a TV without HDMI? What where you thinking? This playbar should replace my receiver. This thread is 10 months old and still no answer.

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

I am a new SONOS owner and finally felt compelled to speak. I have been watching these DTS threads play out for the last month. Anyway they try and spin it, the fact remains that they just don't care about their customers wishes. I mean how many hundreds have commented negatively about this missing feature? Out of 100's I've read, I haven't seen ONE positive comment about the decision because there's just nothing positive to say about it. Great products but this is corporate customer brand loyalty suicide plain and simple. Every single way it was handled was poor. It really took a year to come up with this decision? As soon as the competition catches up technically they wont make the same mistake and will absolutely implement DTS and then things will get reeeaaalllyyy interesting. Not that SONOS cares about my (customer's) oppinion, it's been abundantly clear that it was the wrong outcome. Again, I am a new to SONOS owner who truly wants to see the company thrive. But John M, Who exactly is paying for your company to exist any way? Last time I checked it was your customers. Companies that forget that fact in this competitive landscape all go extinct in time...
I use the Octava HD41 ARC in my current system due to my AVR not having HDMI switching and my old TV only had 1 HDMI input. It works great, automatically switches between sources and is a straight pass through - I have experienced no audio or visual degradation. With the 4 inputs on the 41 it also allows you to watch and listen to two different sources. I haven't tried it with a Playbar as I'm waiting for DTS, but if that happens I plan to use it so I can have multiple optical inputs into the system. I have an XBox, Blu Ray and DirecTV box all connected at this time with room for one more component if needed. I haven't done the EDID firmware update to my 41 so can only speak to the fact the unit does what it says it's supposed to do. My experience with the company has been very good as well, I purchased directly from Octava, I contacted support once on a technical question and they responded with the answer within hours. Would suggest reaching out to their support team with any implementation/limitation questions. It looks like your TV needs ARC and this doesn't appear to solve the DTS decoding issue.
Userlevel 1
Dear all, please find attached the last Sonos statement regarding DTS (and transcoding) related connectivity issues for the ‚beta:PLAYBAR without DTS‘ from the German support team. German ORIGINAL : Es ist bei Sonos bekannt, dass diverse Fernsehmodelle keine Lizenzen haben, um den Ton einer externen HDMI Quelle über den optischen Ausgang wiederzugeben. Dies führt dazu, dass die PLAYBAR keinen Ton abspielt, was jedoch vom Fernseher abhängig ist. It is well known at Sonos, that several HD-TV sets are missing the license to play out the audio of an external HDMI source on their optical output. Therefore the PLAYBAR is not playing any audio, but this depends on the HD TV set. I’m speechless … words fail me.
I would appreciate to have DTS too. Most of my actual BluRays don't bring out any sound on the play bar! Thats not acceptable!
Just bought a PLAYBAR, and ordered SUB and two PLAY1 as I love my PLAY 5.

First Blu-ray I tried played the intro music (Dolby) but as soon as the film (DTS) started NOTHING!  Bit of reading and now hugely disappointed... especially given the premium price!

On the basis that this has been outstanding for months and is still only under consideration, I'm going to take it back to the shop.  I've just cancelled my order for SUB and PLAY 1s. 

Looks like you've just lost a few sales from me and I will now be negatively recommending SONOS PLAYBAR to others.

Pity given my first introduction to you was so positive. 😞

Following a careful evaluation, we have decided not to implement support for the DTS audio format in PLAYBAR at this time.

PLAYBAR uses a single optical connection directly from your television and was designed this way to make it as easy as possible to set-up and enjoy great HiFi sound.  Most PLAYBAR owners connect PLAYBAR to their TV in this simple way. This is the intended setup for playing the sound from your TV.

Today, very few TVs pass a DTS-encoded audio stream through their optical output.  Instead, the TV or source device converts the audio signal automatically to PCM, which PLAYBAR supports.  This is how PLAYBAR plays DTS-encoded Blu-rays.

We are committed to supporting the existing and future ecosystem of streaming video services. Currently, popular streaming services do not use DTS and most use Dolby Digital encoding, which PLAYBAR supports.

We are aware that PLAYBAR is being connected by customers to devices other than the television. In this configuration, when PLAYBAR receives a DTS signal, it will not process the signal.  If you are not able to connect your PLAYBAR directly to your TV and would like to explore solutions, please click here

If DTS support is crucial for your current set-up, PLAYBAR may not be the right solution for you and we apologize for this inconvenience.  If you are currently a PLAYBAR owner and would like to discuss options, please contact Sonos Customer Care.

We’ll be actively monitoring TV and streaming services capabilities and trends. If our development stance around DTS decoding in PLAYBAR changes, this community will be among the first to know. 

That, Sonos is called corporate suicide. Does anyone want to buy all my full sonos 5.1 set up.
Having a Samsung UE46D6200 tv and almost always have DTS audio on movies that i play. The playbar right now stays silent until i switch to PCM audio downmixing. I'm very suprised that the Playbar didnt support DTS, so please add it!
Userlevel 3
Dear all, please find attached the last Sonos statement regarding DTS (and transcoding) related connectivity issues for the ‚beta:PLAYBAR without DTS‘ from the German support team. German ORIGINAL : Es ist bei Sonos bekannt, dass diverse Fernsehmodelle keine Lizenzen haben, um den Ton einer externen HDMI Quelle über den optischen Ausgang wiederzugeben. Dies führt dazu, dass die PLAYBAR keinen Ton abspielt, was jedoch vom Fernseher abhängig ist. It is well known at Sonos, that several HD-TV sets are missing the license to play out the audio of an external HDMI source on their optical output. Therefore the PLAYBAR is not playing any audio, but this depends on the HD TV set. I’m speechless … words fail me.
With all of the tv manufacturers/moels they offer...seems like a very very very small list. https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1931/~/television-compatibility-with-the-playbar
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would suggest everyone posts complaints on the Sonos Facebook page & Twitter feed about this issue. Nobody seems to care in here. Sonos really do project a different service level than they actually deliver. The silence is deafening.....how ironic.
Hello, I've just got a Play:1 and I was checking the other "pieces" to buy a complete set for my smart tv...now seeing that it has only one optical input and DTS is not supported I think I will wait to see if you will ever support it or not. I'm ready to pay (a lot) more but I think not only the price should be "premium" but also the (basic for this kind of devices) features should be.

Following this topic for updates...
Userlevel 2

@John M how do i return my sonos products? I've sent an email thru your customer support and still dont have any reply up until now on how to return Sonos products for my 5.1 system...
Userlevel 1
I can only agree with the rest! Please add DTS please! I think quite a few of your customers are interested in good sound quality, and that would include while watching movies too. And yes, if it means I would have to pay extra for any licenses that would probably not be the end of the world after spending the sums I have so far on SONOS components...
Userlevel 1
@tua09788 To expand the list you can instantly add my three test HD TV sets: Sony KDL-40X2000, Sony KDL-40Z5800, Philips 40PFL8606K/02 As far as I’m aware the only relevant HD-TV license beyond the free license to forward a given bitstream is maybe ‚DTS 2.0 + Digital Output‘, but this is required to decode DTS 5.1 and down-mix to DTS 2.0 for stereo output on external analog audio devices … or to support the PCM 2.0 stereo workaround on the ‚beta:PLAYBAR v1 without DTS‘. Some of the Sonos support answers have a high cringe factor. (Maybe some of mine, too)
Userlevel 2
Come on Sonos. Do something about this! DTS is a must for a EUR 2,000 home cinema audio system! Unbelievable that we even have to discuss this...
Any chance of an update from someone at Sonos please?
Userlevel 1
People,
we all know John is a "small light" in the Sonos organisation.
Paid to tell us what we want to hear, or in this case, try to convince us, that Playbar is a good product even without DTS support.
Which it isn't!

I could write a long story here, how I have send many improvement suggestions (more sensitive volume control especially in the low volume range, ramp up the alarm volume over a couple of minutes, put a sleep button on the widget, include google all music,...)  to Sonos from the early days, but nothing of it ever made it into their software.
Because they back office ignores what we write here. they follow their own "plans" for function integration, which look to me, as if they were prioritized by someone who has never red this forum in his life. 

Our ideas and complaints might get forwarded to their "developer team", but there seems either not enough capacity, or not enough talent to implement it.
Or some director does not see the benefit to invest money in DTS support.

So i say: let's stop talking and start acting.

More than 1400 people back up this DTS topic here.

Let's all apply for a refund, and return our Playbar, Sub (if you have), and Play3 or Play1 that you might have bought as surround speakers to Sonos, with the simple reason:
Not fit for intended use - does not support DTS.

If all of us 1400 frustrated user only return a Playbar, Sonos looses 1400 x 650 USD = almost 1mio USD turnover.
Add some 700-800 Subs and Play3 pairs to it, and it could sum up to almost 2mio USD.

Plus the additional loss of turn over by our recommendation to not buy Sonos products to our 1400 x approx. 500+ = 700.000+ friends on Facebook and Twitter.

I hope this will give Sonos senior management enough reason to reconsider investing into DTS support.

Userlevel 1
Badge
I've just glanced down the list of 'popular ideas' and whilst all are desirable this is the only topic which stops a potential purchase. Surely it makes commercial sense to fast track the implementation of DTS in the PlayBar - especially when it's a relatively simple codec issue...
Please DTS support now 😕
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
You guys had better make up your mind quick on adding DTS to the PLAYBAR, your competitors are catching up. Harman Kardon just announced a new set of soundbars that support DTS. Harman Kardon outs pair of sleek soundbars with prices starting at $599 "Harman Kardon has chosen IFA 2013 as the platform to unveil a couple of new, audiophile-grade soundbars, the Sabre SB 35 and SB 26. For starters, the top-of-the-line SB 35 model carries a cool $999 price tag, bringing with it qualities such as 1.75-inch drivers and 1-inch tweeters, Dolby Digital TrueHD / DTS HD Decoding, plus Bluetooth connectivity and access to three HDMI ports -- Harman says that given its mere 1.25-inch in depth, it's the slimmest multi-channel 8.1 bar on the market" If the SB-35 is well reviewed, I may sell my Sonos PLAYBARs and get it.
Userlevel 2
Sonos, John M, we deserve an answer! And a concrete one.

Poor and wrong decision! I recommended Sonos to all my friends and family and convinced a few of them to buy into the system. One reason was the good support and the customer friendly corporate policy. I will stop these recommendations with immediate effect. But I wish that you keep one thing in mind: it is never too late to correct such a strategic mistake. It would be a very wise decision and customers would highly appreciate it if they would see that you listened to their concerns and complaints. Discuss that in the management board once again after reading the shitstorm here. Maybe you have underestimated the reactions. I am pretty sure it will harm your revenues quite significantly if you stick to that decision. I will stay with my Playbar, Sub, 3 Play:1s and one Play:3. Invested a lot of money but will stop that by now. I am really, really disappointed Mr. John MacFarlane. Might be the worst decision in your career as the founder and CEO of the company I loved but no longer will.
Please add DTS. I am long time sonos fans.... really want to pull the trigger on the playbar and the SUB but not until it support DTS. and or I can just keep my Rotel AV amp and do a output to the playbar.
Userlevel 1
Dear all, just would like to share some additional information about DTS and especially DTS licensing with you. On traditional hardware based audio equipment DTS decoding requires a DTS sound processor chip or a multi norm audio processor chip supporting DTS decoding to play out the sound of a given DTS audio stream. These sound processor chips usually have an ‘embedded’ license and you pay for this license with the chip price, cause the developer and/or supplier of the chip is partner and/or licensee for DTS technologies from DTS Inc. and the developer and/or supplier is taking care of proper licensing. For software based DTS decoding you should become a partner and/or licensee with DTS Inc. , create a valid license contract and pay for a proper license matching the license requirement of your product. As Sonos is still not sharing comprehensive information about the DTS capabilities of the current PLAYBAR hardware and the current PLAYBAR software, my expectation about the relationship between Sonos Inc. and DTS Inc. is as follows: During PLAYBAR development Sonos decided to avoid DTS licensing cost and Sonos initially saved the money for a multi norm audio processor chip on the PLAYBAR hardware and for a DTS software license, too. Therefore they are finally forced to do it in software and must go for a valid DTS software license, if they - maybe - want to do it now or later on or whenever, but right now they have no valid license for DTS at all. I would roughly guess Sonos Inc. started negotiations with DTS Inc. during the development of the PLAYBAR and the ‘big Sonos’ stopped the negotiation on a partner and/or licensee contract and affronted DTS Inc. by kicking DTS out of the PLAYBAR or maybe the full Sonos product range. Just in case my simple thoughts are quite close to the truth, I - as the affronted license and patents owner of DTS technologies - would decline to give Sonos a DTS license at all or at a minimum triple the price. Anyway, the Sonos customers are going to ‘pay the price’ for Sonos’ faulty decisions on DTS, in worth case by never ever getting properly licensed DTS on the current PLAYBAR or any other Sonos equipment. Bernd http://www.dts.com/professionals/licensing.aspx
There are dozens of soundbars that support DTS, that is nothing new. However, none of them are specifically made to work within the Sonos system, which is why people are clamoring for DTS on the Sonos Playbar.