Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

unfortunately Sonos is the only sound system with Wife Approval Factor for me

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The end of the nightmare is close at hand for me...

Good luck @ban25 - I hope you find peace with the new system. I am just too smitten with the Sonos sound (for AV) and will just keep plugging away. 

In my old house, I had Arcam AV8, 2 x REL 1200W subwoofers and M&K Speakers. It was awesome - until we moved of course! Sonos has been the only decent compromise in sound and is ‘New House’ (read Wife!) friendly. I am just going to stick with it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sadly, I spoke too soon. 14.8 does NOT fix this issue.

Recent diagnostics when the problem happened: 1548160082

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The end of the nightmare is close at hand for me...

Good luck @ban25 - I hope you find peace with the new system. I am just too smitten with the Sonos sound (for AV) and will just keep plugging away. 

In my old house, I had Arcam AV8, 2 x REL 1200W subwoofers and M&K Speakers. It was awesome - until we moved of course! Sonos has been the only decent compromise in sound and is ‘New House’ (read Wife!) friendly. I am just going to stick with it. 

Thanks!  There’s an equipment train coming over the next several days, including the Soundbar+ on Saturday, so I’ll have a nice weekend project to work on. :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Just some proof that I have finally gone mad with a ‘wireless’ installation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet. For me what works as a quick reset is to stop and start the wifi on the arc. 

I have it hard wired, and turning of and then back on allways gets me the sub and surrounds back.

FYI, is have an LG B8, a shield tv pro 2019 , an arcana hdfury and an arc with two subs and two symfonisk lights. 

Thanks! This works for me as well and is a much quicker reset!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’d love to get involved in the troubleshooting as I’m a software engineer so fault finding is right up my street but because of how my stuff is setup, it would be hard for me to hardwire stuff, start pulling HDMI cables, etc.

Appreciate the efforts of everyone else though!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

IIRC there was someone in this thread that already tried hard wiring literally everything and still had the issue

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’d love to get involved in the troubleshooting as I’m a software engineer so fault finding is right up my street but because of how my stuff is setup, it would be hard for me to hardwire stuff, start pulling HDMI cables, etc.

My divorce is in the post apparently. 

Still mulling over: “Wife” or “Working Sonos”…...

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet. For me what works as a quick reset is to stop and start the wifi on the arc. 

I have it hard wired, and turning of and then back on allways gets me the sub and surrounds back.

FYI, is have an LG B8, a shield tv pro 2019 , an arcana hdfury and an arc with two subs and two symfonisk lights. 

Thanks! This works for me as well and is a much quicker reset!

What steps do I take on the app to do this?  I’m not home but this sounds like a way better way to reset it rather than resetting my entire router and/or unplugging the Arc power!  

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

IIRC there was someone in this thread that already tried hard wiring literally everything and still had the issue

Agreed. But as I have an Engineers ear, I just want to first hand get in front of the questions and diagnosis process. It something for me to rule out and report back to the Engineer.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Agreed. But as I have an Engineers ear, I just want to first hand get in front of the questions and diagnosis process. It something for me to rule out and report back to the Engineer.

oh yeah I wasn’t suggesting you not to try it

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

What steps do I take on the app to do this?  I’m not home but this sounds like a way better way to reset it rather than resetting my entire router and/or unplugging the Arc power!  

You need to have the ARC hardwired for this, or Sonos will not let you disable the Wi-Fi. Is your ARC hard wired @JohnnyDo123 ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

If it is, then just head to the surround system in your app and then into the products in it. There you should see your soundbar with the option to disable and enable the wifi.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

My setup is 100% hardwired. No wireless enabled on any speaker, including my surrounds and sub. All Sonos speakers are their own dedicated VLAN. 

I periodically lose rear sync as of 14.6. Power cycle fixes the issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Screenshot for ease below.

As risint says, S2 - System - Your System - ARC and then you see the networking gumf. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

My setup is 100% hardwired. No wireless enabled on any speaker, including my surrounds and sub. All Sonos speakers are their own dedicated VLAN. 

Thank you - this really is closing the gap with it something to do with the HT. I am going to try and break this tonight and then I also have a diag to share. In effect, I can robustly state that Wireless or Ethernet is not the issue and focus the investigation on the ARC and elsewhere. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Thank you - this really is closing the gap with it something to do with the HT. I am going to try and break this tonight and then I also have a diag to share. In effect, I can robustly state that Wireless or Ethernet is not the issue and focus the investigation on the ARC and elsewhere. 

You go! We are all behind you 😉 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The irony is that it’s much easier for their SDEs to find the defect than it is for us to test blindly.  All they need to do is look through the diffs of commits shipped in 14.6 via binary search to find the culprit.  I could likely fix the issue in a day by myself if I had access to their repo.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

If Sonos would provide access to their change log for 14.6 (and some brief descriptions of the change) I am sure we could work faster on this. Of course, I fully appreciate that would open up a can of unwanted worms for them so I kind of understand their reluctance to do that. 

It's not that I want expose any issues they have but it would help with ‘in the field’ correlation. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Not to say it’s related, but I have had issues with getting sound out of the Sonos Move when grouped with one of my other rooms (Arc Home Theater or Kitchen /w 2 x Fives).  This didn’t happen before 14.6 where I would routinely listen to the Move out on the deck paired with one of the other rooms.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Does anyone know if 14.6 was implemented because of the new product range? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you guys, yes my Arc is hardwired and the picture of the app looks like a screen I’m familiar with seeing but never messed around with.  I will try that the next time I have this issue!  Probably during tv watching tonight, ha ha.  

Badge

Just some proof that I have finally gone mad with a ‘wireless’ installation. 

That’s my solution:

ARC - ethernet
SUB - ethernet
LG - ethernet
PG - ethernet
Apple TV 4K - ethernet
TV (Sony Bravia XR-92J) - wifi

At the first day after connection an issue occured again. But I made mistake and forgot to turn the wifi off in all system. After that surrounds and sub play perfect. All system even play louder that previously.

From today I start using Apple TV again. And we will see…

P.S.
I need to have TV connected with wifi because I use Bravia Core and it required wifi for IMAX quality (TV has only 100 mb LAN).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Does anyone know if 14.6 was implemented because of the new product range? 

They do monthly releases, but I suspect 14.6 contains changes to support the Ray and possibly the Sub Mini as they likely need to get some version of the firmware on the product coming out of manufacturing.  So yeah, I think changes made to support those devices are likely culprits.