Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Support had me change out the HDMI cable to see if it was an issue with HDMI CEC interference that might be causing the dropouts/errors. I changed out the HDMI cable to a brand new cable however it did not alleviate the issue.

I have changed every single cable in my system, moved from Sonos wired to actual wired (i.e. all speaker connected via Ethernet) and nothing has helped. My next stage is to replace all the speakers! (And I know that is not the answer!)

Well, you could replace them with something other than Sonos. I’m not there myself, but I really can’t see myself buying any new Sonos gear going forward after this experience.  We have Sonos in every room and we’ve had Sonos for going to back to first-generation so this isn’t something I say lightly.

To be honest, the primary use case in my household is HT (Arc, 2xOne, 1xSub) and AirPlay 2. I open the Sonos app to do software updates and change the settings. My wife never opens the Sonos app and I’m not sure she even has it installed despite using the Sonos speakers literally every day (AirPlay 2 streaming for her devices = so much easier).

In 2022, there are so many other vendors who are shipping systems who check these boxes (Atmos HT w/ AirPlay 2, “smart speakers” with AirPlay 2, etc). With AirPlay 2, I don’t even need to replace my Sonos gear with gear from the same vendor. I can get the crazy new Sony Atmos speaker setup for the living room, a Bose speaker for the kitchen, a HomePod Mini for my bedside table, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my Sonos gear.

But, the lack of any response on this is unacceptable at this point. I regularly see threads on Reddit (or other forums) where users are asking “Why is my sync going out all of a sudden?” or “Why is my sub suddenly cutting out?”

This issue is obviously affecting many many more people than the folks in this thread who are discussing it directly.

Would be really, really nice to get an official update from Sonos about this as well as a timeline for a fix.

Honestly just some kind of acknowledgment would be amazing in and of itself. Even if there is no timeline for a fix. Because as it stands right now, I have about $1100 worth of useless gear and it’s making me nervous that it’ll stay useless given that it’s been a really long time with these issues

Userlevel 1

So again, had this happen today for 3 times already. Tomorrow i’ll be submitting reports as well.

However…

Does anyone know if returns are possible considering i got a worthless sub and 2 Sl because of their software? 

The 100 days have passed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I talked to the support earlier today and I was asked to reconnect the HDMI cable and see if it happens again. Now I just contacted support again and the guy I was talking to has never heard of this issue and as usual blamed my network.

It took 30 minutes just for him to escalate my case.

This is a nightmare I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

almost to a thousand replies in here

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Support had me change out the HDMI cable to see if it was an issue with HDMI CEC interference that might be causing the dropouts/errors. I changed out the HDMI cable to a brand new cable however it did not alleviate the issue.

I have changed every single cable in my system, moved from Sonos wired to actual wired (i.e. all speaker connected via Ethernet) and nothing has helped. My next stage is to replace all the speakers! (And I know that is not the answer!)

Well, you could replace them with something other than Sonos. I’m not there myself, but I really can’t see myself buying any new Sonos gear going forward after this experience.  We have Sonos in every room and we’ve had Sonos for going to back to first-generation so this isn’t something I say lightly.

To be honest, the primary use case in my household is HT (Arc, 2xOne, 1xSub) and AirPlay 2. I open the Sonos app to do software updates and change the settings. My wife never opens the Sonos app and I’m not sure she even has it installed despite using the Sonos speakers literally every day (AirPlay 2 streaming for her devices = so much easier).

In 2022, there are so many other vendors who are shipping systems who check these boxes (Atmos HT w/ AirPlay 2, “smart speakers” with AirPlay 2, etc). With AirPlay 2, I don’t even need to replace my Sonos gear with gear from the same vendor. I can get the crazy new Sony Atmos speaker setup for the living room, a Bose speaker for the kitchen, a HomePod Mini for my bedside table, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my Sonos gear.

But, the lack of any response on this is unacceptable at this point. I regularly see threads on Reddit (or other forums) where users are asking “Why is my sync going out all of a sudden?” or “Why is my sub suddenly cutting out?”

This issue is obviously affecting many many more people than the folks in this thread who are discussing it directly.

Would be really, really nice to get an official update from Sonos about this as well as a timeline for a fix.

I resent my Sonos gear, I am embarrassed I purchased such garbage. They have our money and they don’t care. New products being pushed out with the code that broke our systems, so there is no way they are rolling it back to when this worked. This is my first Sonos experience and I have been taking to social media brining up this 3 month and counting problem. I am telling as many people that will listen this is an unreliable company that doesn't stand behind what they sell. My system is past the 30 day return date. I’m stuck with something that doesn’t work. Even if they figure this out, why would I buy more of their products if this is how they treat their customers? I would give it all back and move to something else in a heartbeat if I could. Not only do they not stand behind their product, they play little games by getting us to reset our routers and plugging and unplugging HDMI cables… Just stop and own what you’ve done. If people want a full refund, give it to them. Those of you that want to hang around just incase they fix it, have fun with that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I talked to the support earlier today and I was asked to reconnect the HDMI cable and see if it happens again. Now I just contacted support again and the guy I was talking to has never heard of this issue and as usual blamed my network.

And this is where they are at. “Have you tried unplugging and plugging it in?” 100 days and counting

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

And this is where they are at. “Have you tried unplugging and plugging it in?” 100 days and counting

It was escalated to an L3 engineer. I’m sure nothing will come of it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

It was escalated to a L3 engineer. I’m sure nothing will come of it.

LMAO

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

LMAO

I am not laughing at all. I am actually becoming increasingly frustrated. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I’m not either. Do you really think I’m laughing at my money being tied up in a system that doesn’t work? They definitely have the M O of letting this go by the wayside. Take to social media, tag every little cutesy review about their new products and link back to this thread. Tag Patrick Spence… anything to bring attention to this problem. I’m not here to troll any of you or pick fights. I want us to collectively use our voices in social media to bring attention to something this company is essentially ignoring.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I’m not either. Do you really think I’m laughing at my money being tied up in a system that doesn’t work? They definitely have the M O of letting this go by the wayside. Take to social media, tag every little cutesy review about their new products and link back to this thread. Tag Patrick Spence… anything to bring attention to this problem. I’m not here to troll any of you or pick fights. I want us to collectively use our voices in social media to bring attention to something this company is essentially ignoring.

Wow - I really upset someone. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Nothing to do with you Bradley. I'm upset with Sonos you Muppet 

Didn't the issue manifest after a software/firmware update?

Why can't they just roll back until sorted?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Didn't the issue manifest after a software/firmware update?

Why can't they just roll back until sorted?

Because they’ve released products since the update that have never been on an older version; that’s the theory anyways 

Userlevel 2
Badge

So a small update that may mean absolutely nothing, but I managed to get through an entire episode of Stranger Things, roughly 70 minutes with absolutely no issues. The catch; I turned off Dolby Vision and set the Apple TV’s audio output to Dolby Digital 5.1. Not sure if this fix will work forever, but this is the longest I’ve gone without something breaking in some time. I’m running an LG C9 with a 2021 Apple TV 4K, using the right HDMI cables, HDMI 2.1 on all inputs and the Arc hooked up via eArc. I didn’t adjust any settings on the TV. Here are the exact settings on the Apple TV: 

Video:

Format - 4K SDR

Match Content - Frame Rate, ON; Dynamic Range, OFF

Audio:

Audio Format - Change Format, ON; New Format, Dolby Digital 5.1

The sound is definitely bloated and not as precise as full Atmos, and I miss the hell out of Dolby Vision, but things seem to be usable for now. The reason I changed the settings I did: I noticed that there were moments where my system would play no audio whatsoever and then come sputtering back to life. Some of the times when that happened, the Dolby Vision notification would pop up on my TV, even though the video was still continuously playing. That made me think something was happening with Dolby Vision/Atmos. I could be totally off but it’s working for now. Small bonus, Dolby Digital gets you a boost in volume over LPCM. Hope this keeps working and helps everyone else.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There should be an update today for the new voice assistant, right? Maybe a fix is in it too

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

So a small update that may mean absolutely nothing, but I managed to get through an entire episode of Stranger Things, roughly 70 minutes with absolutely no issues. The catch; I turned off Dolby Vision and set the Apple TV’s audio output to Dolby Digital 5.1. Not sure if this fix will work forever, but this is the longest I’ve gone without something breaking in some time. I’m running an LG C9 with a 2021 Apple TV 4K, using the right HDMI cables, HDMI 2.1 on all inputs and the Arc hooked up via eArc. I didn’t adjust any settings on the TV. Here are the exact settings on the Apple TV: 

Video:

Format - 4K SDR

Audio:

The sound is definitely bloated and not as precise as full Atmos, and I miss the hell out of Dolby Vision, but things seem to be usable for now. The reason I changed the settings I did: I noticed that there were moments where my system would play no audio whatsoever and then come sputtering back to life. Some of the times when that happened, the Dolby Vision notification would pop up on my TV, even though the video was still continuously playing. That made me think something was happening with Dolby Vision/Atmos. I could be totally off but it’s working for now. Small bonus, Dolby Digital gets you a boost in volume over LPCM. Hope this keeps working and helps everyone else.

Have you tried leaving Dolby vision enabled while sticking with DD5.1?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

There should be an update today for the new voice assistant, right? Maybe a fix is in it too

I believe 14.8 included the new voice assistant but it’s not enabled yet. I’d imagine they can enable it server side 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Nothing to do with you Bradley. I'm upset with Sonos you Muppet 

🤣 Yeah, I know. It is pretty much a nightmare without an end in sight.

I did reach out to Sonos Support last night (chat) and explained that my case is not progressing, and no one from Engineering is getting back to me. They apologised and assured me they will be working on the case and I will hear something soon.

The minute I hear something I'll post. And I hope that is sooner than later.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I agree with this. We’re clearly being ignored by keeping this on the forum considering it’s been over a month with 900+ replies and we don't even have an acknowledgment of the problem. 

We need to make more noise. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am a SONOS system owner based in Singapore. I have 1 x SONOS ARC, 2 x SONOS SUB GEN3, 2 x SONOS ONE as surround speakers and 1 x SONOS Boost.

My issue started initially when I connected my entire SONOS system to my wifi router in the same room. The surround speakers had been cutting in and out. To solve this issue, I got a SONOS Boost. The SONOS Boost is connected wired to my wifi router and my ARC, SUB and ONE connect to the Boost. This solution had been working almost flawlessly until I start experiencing total drop out of my SUB and rear surround speakers since April this year. The drop out never recover itself and I have to factory reset the Boost and reconnect the entire system back to it to get back the surround speakers and subs.

I realized my surround speakers and subs drop out permanently whenever I had switched from live TV to netflix or to my PS5. whenever there is a change of audio codec, the dropout issue will occur. I had been very sick and distress in dealing with this issue which was never fixed with the updated firmware. I had to keep factory reset my SONOS Boost to recover the surround speakers and SUB.

I am getting quite pissed and considering to sell off my entire SONOS system to someone at lower price if the issue is not fixed any time soon. Planning to get the SONY HT-A9 for my theatre sound system instead. I am wordless to express the frustration and disappointment I have in SONOS product. Don’t think will be getting any in the near future.

I am a SONOS system owner based in Singapore. I have 1 x SONOS ARC, 2 x SONOS SUB GEN3, 2 x SONOS ONE as surround speakers and 1 x SONOS Boost.

My issue started initially when I connected my entire SONOS system to my wifi router in the same room. The surround speakers had been cutting in and out. To solve this issue, I got a SONOS Boost. The SONOS Boost is connected wired to my wifi router and my ARC, SUB and ONE connect to the Boost. This solution had been working almost flawlessly until I start experiencing total drop out of my SUB and rear surround speakers since April this year. The drop out never recover itself and I have to factory reset the Boost and reconnect the entire system back to it to get back the surround speakers and subs.

I realized my surround speakers and subs drop out permanently whenever I had switched from live TV to netflix or to my PS5. whenever there is a change of audio codec, the dropout issue will occur. I had been very sick and distress in dealing with this issue which was never fixed with the updated firmware. I had to keep factory reset my SONOS Boost to recover the surround speakers and SUB.

I am getting quite pissed and considering to sell off my entire SONOS system to someone at lower price if the issue is not fixed any time soon. Planning to get the SONY HT-A9 for my theatre sound system instead. I am wordless to express the frustration and disappointment I have in SONOS product. Don’t think will be getting any in the near future.

Did you follow the suggestions given by the Sonos Staff in answer to this thread, that is to submit a Sonos diagnostic report within 10 minutes of experiencing the issue and contacting the Support Staff via the link provided. If so, what was the outcome of your contact with Sonos Support?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Video:

Format - 4K SDR

Audio:

Have you tried leaving Dolby vision enabled while sticking with DD5.1?

I haven’t, the fact that I get the Dolby Vision pop up makes me almost sure that it’s involved somehow. If everything goes to **** again I’ll give it a try, but don’t want to mess with anything at the moment. Hosting a movie night Friday and hoping I can stumble on something that will get me through that at least (or if a fix could come through in the next 48 hours that would great @Sonos)

*****Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

anyone added the new sonos voice assistant to see if it fixes the issue? 😅

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Do you also sometimes hear dialogue from the rears instead from the arc?