Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Has anyone updated with 15.3? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

update 15.3 is available

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

So I got one speaker replaced but popping is occurring off and on. I also tried playing ABC News 103.90 via the Sonos App and if I listen very intently crackles can be heard quite consistently. :-(

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Denni_86 I hear that sometimes too but not when the speaker is idle. 

I followed up on my case yesterday and support suggested I get the speaker replaced.🤦🏻‍♂️

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Today I noticed something new, now the ERA100 also crackle... has anyone else ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Has already heard from sonos ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have a single Era 300 used of course, just for music. Have not had this issue and from reading online, this problem only seems to rear it's head when the 300s are used as surrounds? 

yes only as surrounds

I could be wrong but I think I saw comments where some users had the pops with stereo 100s/300s as well

okay 🤷🏽‍♂️

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a single Era 300 used of course, just for music. Have not had this issue and from reading online, this problem only seems to rear it's head when the 300s are used as surrounds? 

yes only as surrounds

I could be wrong but I think I saw comments where some users had the pops with stereo 100s/300s as well

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

yes only as surrounds

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think it is important that as many people as possible create a ticket at sonos for this reason, so that sonos sees that it sucks....

Do you think they have not known before the sale or deliberately ignored?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I took the speaker that has been popping a lot back to the store today and got it exchanged for a new unit which I have already installed and Trueplayed.

The new replacement still has audible pops but not as loud as the previous unit and I still hear very faint crackling off and on but only if I put my ear right up to the speaker.

Hope Sonos fixes this soon. I am guessing if it is a H/W issue then they will notify those affected to get the units RMA’ed.

Userlevel 1

When using the buttons on the Era 300, particularly the volume slider, the static / popping sound is pretty clear (a little after you hear the beep tone the speaker is intended to make) even after the update. With the update it is very hard to hear the static now while playing music - greatly diminished. But it concerns me that the unit still has popping issues. 

Userlevel 1

Hi.

Random on left and right. just like a pop / click. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi. 

installed the update and still hear the pops on my pair of era 300 with arc and sub. 

watching Picard and had it poping 4 times in a 5 min period. 

@soyoth 
Was the popping from a single speaker, both at the same time or both randomly?

Userlevel 1

Hi. 

installed the update and still hear the pops on my pair of era 300 with arc and sub. 

watching Picard and had it poping 4 times in a 5 min period. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Here’s more popping but this time source is Apply Music via Sonos S2 App while playing The Gambler by Kenny Rogers. 

Listen for the POP at 0:04 seconds and 0:12 seconds

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Flare 

I don’t have that information, though 15.2.2 was Era-specific.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @Flare 

It can take some time for issues to make their way onto the documentation that our Level 1 agents have access to. Their being unaware of a particular issue does not necessarily mean that we as a company are unaware, just that the handling procedure for that issue hasn’t yet been finalised. Please be aware that as regular forum visitors, you may hear of new issues at the same time that we do, and we need time to properly assess and verify things before telling everyone related to technical support in the entire company about them.

Please be assured that we are still investigating.

Hi @Corry P Thank you for taking the time to clarify the process. Hopefully with all the information received to date the issue can be resolved quickly.

Would it be possible for us to know what 15.2.2 addressed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Flare 

It can take some time for issues to make their way onto the documentation that our Level 1 agents have access to. Their being unaware of a particular issue does not necessarily mean that we as a company are unaware, just that the handling procedure for that issue hasn’t yet been finalised. Please be aware that as regular forum visitors, you may hear of new issues at the same time that we do, and we need time to properly assess and verify things before telling everyone related to technical support in the entire company about them.

Please be assured that we are still investigating.

I’ve tried things again @Flare and still not hearing the ‘pop’ or ‘crackle’ issue here either, that’s using Netflix App (mentioned clip between 43m50s and 44m30s episode-2 American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing) on the Fire TV, Apple TV and Nvidia Shield. It’s perhaps one of those difficult to reproduce issues once it does disappear.

Anyhow, I’m sure the Sonos engineers will be looking into the matter

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

I was asked to factory reset the speakers and set them up again which I did. After completing Trueplay I replayed  Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing and the POP observed earlier was not audible anymore but I could hear some very faint crackling.

I then switched to Apply Music playing The Gambler by Kenny Rogers in Atmos and heard a POP once which could not be repeated.

What next?

I think that the hotlines sit laymen who have no idea of the matter!

It can not be that we spend our time here for their job, what are we experimental rabbits?

It crackles it ploppt and that with a 500 € speaker, something like that does not even happen with a 20 € speaker from amazon ...

I can not understand how they can publish something like that!

I agree with you! A shame

Userlevel 2
Badge

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

I was asked to factory reset the speakers and set them up again which I did. After completing Trueplay I replayed  Episode 2 of American Manhunt The Boston Marathon Bombing and the POP observed earlier was not audible anymore but I could hear some very faint crackling.

I then switched to Apply Music playing The Gambler by Kenny Rogers in Atmos and heard a POP once which could not be repeated.

What next?

It can not be that we spend our time here for their job, what are we experimental rabbits?

It crackles it ploppt and that with a 500 € speaker, something like that does not even happen with a 20 € speaker from amazon ...

Kinda strange if support has no clue on this issue, especially after Sonos send out an emergency update. Here a small update from my side…. since the Sonos update I don't hear the plop anymore. I heard it once (I thought) but since that time...Nothing. So from my side all looks fine.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

What next?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Contacted support and was told that this is the first time they are hearing about this POP issue! @Corry P L1 has no visibility of these issues? Are we wasting time doing all this troubleshooting and submitting diagnostics?

What next?