Answered

Sonos era 300 static, pop sound

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

does anyone have any news?

That was done earlier already. I captured the event twice with two different sources (Netflix and Apple Music) and posted it on YouTube and sent a copy of the recording to Sonos support along with a diagnostics taken just after the reproduceable event. 

All I got back was this is not a know issue and get the speaker replaced, which I did. Replacement has the same issue so I’m assuming if do the capturing and diagnostics I’m going to be told to replace the speaker again.

I don’t think it necessarily becomes a ‘rinse/repeat’ process @Flare. That’s something you’re assuming.

I would respectfully suggest if you encounter the issue again, then take the steps to gather the data and report it - it might lead Sonos to discover where the issues actually lie here, particularly as they’ve eliminated it being just a faulty speaker by swapping yours. It could be a compatibility issue with the connected TV, for example.

So it’s certainly best to not take things for granted and to attempt to give them the data to hopefully help the Sonos engineers resolve the matter.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The pop’s are reproduceable with certain content. For example, I was wathing a movie on Netflix yesterday and heard the pop, I rewinded 3 times and all 3 times the pop was audible at the same time. After the 4th rewind thought it was gone. Very strange and frustrating!

Given the case that you were able to initially reproduce the issue, It would have been much better to capture the sounds you heard with a mobile audio recording held near to the speaker and also taken a diagnostic report via the Sonos App… Once that was done, to then contact Sonos customer support, who could maybe forward the data gathered to engineers in order to help rectify the matter. At the moment there’s no data seemingly gathered and it appears to be an opportunity lost - it’s not even clear which movie you’re referring to? It’s not going to help to simply mention these things in a user-community, without trying to gather some form of data to perhaps help Sonos to resolve the matter.

That was done earlier already. I captured the event twice with two different sources (Netflix and Apple Music) and posted it on YouTube and sent a copy of the recording to Sonos support along with a diagnostics taken just after the reproduceable event. 

All I got back was this is not a know issue and get the speaker replaced, which I did. Replacement has the same issue so I’m assuming if do the capturing and diagnostics I’m going to be told to replace the speaker again.

The pop’s are reproduceable with certain content. For example, I was wathing a movie on Netflix yesterday and heard the pop, I rewinded 3 times and all 3 times the pop was audible at the same time. After the 4th rewind thought it was gone. Very strange and frustrating!

Given the case that you were able to initially reproduce the issue, It would have been much better to capture the sounds you heard with a mobile audio recording held near to the speaker and also taken a diagnostic report via the Sonos App… Once that was done, to then contact Sonos customer support, who could maybe forward the data gathered to engineers in order to help rectify the matter. At the moment there’s no data seemingly gathered and it appears to be an opportunity lost - it’s not even clear which movie you’re referring to? It’s not going to help to simply mention these things in a user-community, without trying to gather some form of data to perhaps help Sonos to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

The pop’s are reproduceable with certain content. For example, I was wathing a movie on Netflix yesterday and heard the pop, I rewinded 3 times and all 3 times the pop was audible at the same time. After the 4th rewind though it was gone. Very strange and frustrating!

I was just a bit puzzled as to why I had a different hardware version to OP who also had Era 300 speakers. Thought they would have the same version?

I would just like some acknowledgement from Sonos, when calling support it has felt like they don’t believe me and the store I bought the speakers from were surprised that I wanted to return & exchange as they have a low return rate and suggested it was a set up issue. All I have done is add them to my wifi network and run the audio setup test so can’t see what I could’ve done wrong tbh!

I would perhaps just choose to leave the automatic Sonos update feature enabled, as mentioned earlier in this thread and see if the issue gets resolved for you. Hope that’s the case and all are covered by the Sonos warranty, from new, in any event.

Userlevel 2
Badge

My hardware version is showing as 1.38.3.10-9.2 and still getting the pops and cracks.

Was particularly bad with one track via bandcamp yesterday. Tried playing it with loudness on & off and the pops were still happening.

Would really like to hear something official, feels like this issue is being ignored.

Note @Panic_Attaché that the hardware version is not going to change, so perhaps don’t expect to see that. I would just take note of the software installation for any updates.

Sonos very rarely, if ever, comment on their development roadmap prior to any update, which is the same strategy for similar companies like, Apple, Google, Amazon etc.

I was just a bit puzzled as to why I had a different hardware version to OP who also had Era 300 speakers. Thought they would have the same version?

I would just like some acknowledgement from Sonos, when calling support it has felt like they don’t believe me and the store I bought the speakers from were surprised that I wanted to return & exchange as they have a low return rate and suggested it was a set up issue. All I have done is add them to my wifi network and run the audio setup test so can’t see what I could’ve done wrong tbh!

My hardware version is showing as 1.38.3.10-9.2 and still getting the pops and cracks.

Was particularly bad with one track via bandcamp yesterday. Tried playing it with loudness on & off and the pops were still happening.

Would really like to hear something official, feels like this issue is being ignored.

Note @Panic_Attaché that the hardware version is not going to change, so perhaps don’t expect to see that. I would just take note of the software installation for any updates.

Sonos very rarely, if ever, comment on their development roadmap prior to any update, which is the same strategy for similar companies like, Apple, Google, Amazon etc.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Do you have automatic updates showing as enabled in the App?

Yes, my system has the “Update Automatically” enabled.

I shared the version from the issue I had while using speakers #3, #4, #5 and #6

https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-229128/sonos-era-300-static-pop-sound-6881431?postid=16654711#post16654711

It is the same version on the system currently as well

Version: 15.3 (build 72240060)
Hardware Version: 1.38.3.10-1.2
Series ID: A100

If my memory serves, this current build was released after I had reported the issue from #1 and #2. Sharing for curiosity, I’m definitely not in a position to confirm or deny the update had any effect on the issue. Comments in this thread from others reported the issue persisted on their speakers after updating however.

It seems without some more explicit indication from Sonos themselves we’d just be guessing at whether there’s a firmware/software component to the underlying issue and whether they’re attempting to resolve it that way. The Sonos folks should have a far better perspective on the reports, diagnostics and configurations of the affected units that have been reported so I trust they’ll isolate the issue and I’ll just have to be patient while they figure it out.

Hopefully the units that have been RMA’d so far are useful. I’m starting to feel some guilt burning through these units!

Thank you for your effort mate. I can’t imagine how much time you have spent in troubleshooting and RMA’s!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I shared the version from the issue I had while using speakers #3, #4, #5 and #6

https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-229128/sonos-era-300-static-pop-sound-6881431?postid=16654711#post16654711

If my memory serves, this current build was released after I had reported the issue from #1 and #2. Sharing for curiosity, I’m definitely not in a position to confirm or deny the update had any effect on the issue. Comments in this thread from others reported the issue persisted on their speakers after updating however.

It seems without some more explicit indication from Sonos themselves we’d just be guessing at whether there’s a firmware/software component to the underlying issue and whether they’re attempting to resolve it that way. The Sonos folks should have a far better perspective on the reports, diagnostics and configurations of the affected units that have been reported so I trust they’ll isolate the issue and I’ll just have to be patient while they figure it out.

Hopefully the units that have been RMA’d so far are useful. I’m starting to feel some guilt burning through these units!

Thank you for your effort mate. I can’t imagine how much time you have spent in troubleshooting and RMA’s!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

but besides all, can the problem apply more damage to the speaker??

Userlevel 3
Badge

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

However over time (1 month) something has changed. The first few days these crackling sounds were very frequent, but the situation improved day by day (the 15.3 update didn't help)... could it be a matter of "break-in" the electrical components? In the last week I rarely hear it, between yesterday and today at most 1/2 times (approximately) in 8 hours of listening…the first days it was 1/2 times (approximately) every 10 minutes…a big difference.

Do you have automatic updates showing as enabled in the App? (Recommended) …If so, the device might also have received firmware updates downloaded in the background - their versions usually update in the device list when that happens (about box). 

It is active, but the version is still 15.3…if I remember correctly it was 15.2 before. If there had been these updates you say I guess they would have changed the version… or not?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

However over time (1 month) something has changed. The first few days these crackling sounds were very frequent, but the situation improved day by day (the 15.3 update didn't help)... could it be a matter of "break-in" the electrical components? In the last week I rarely hear it, between yesterday and today at most 1/2 times (approximately) in 8 hours of listening…the first days it was 1/2 times (approximately) every 10 minutes…a big difference.

I can also corroborate a similar experience with frequency being less recently than when I got the first pair. However my observations are across several different speakers so I can only provide some anecdotal data of improvement since first reporting when it was very frequent.

From the previous RMA pair #5 and #6, one was pretty bad and the other was comparably quite infrequent. The current pair #7 and #8 are similar in frequency to one another.

I've had 5…now 4…all as 2 Arc surround. In fact, the more I go on, the more confused I am. I know a guy who has 2 Era300 paired with Beam Gen1 and he has never encountered this problem… I wonder if it only happens with some pairings… I don't know what to think anymore. But of 5 Era300 all have this problem…

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I think its not hardware. Because as a separate speaker I hear nothing. only in stereo and surround

Do you have automatic updates showing as enabled in the App? (Recommended) …If so, the device might also have received firmware updates downloaded in the background - their versions usually update in the device list when that happens (about box). 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I can also corroborate a similar experience with frequency being less recently than when I got the first pair. However my observations are across several different speakers so I can only provide some anecdotal data of improvement since first reporting when it was very frequent.

From the previous RMA pair #5 and #6, one was pretty bad and the other was comparably quite infrequent. The current pair #7 and #8 are similar in frequency to one another.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Userlevel 3
Badge

has the support mentioned if there will be a statement or how it will go on ?

Nothing was mentioned to me regarding this.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@jrennell

thanks for the info

But isn't it strange that the Era100&300 have this same problem? Because they 2 speakers do not have the same hardware ??!

I think that makes a large assumption that they don’t share internal electronics of some kind that could be affected as one possibility. They are not identical but I would imagine they could have a lot of similarities for manufacturing, firmware and software integration reasons (as my speculation anyway).

ok yes makes sense…

has the support mentioned if there will be a statement or how it will go on ?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jrennell

thanks for the info

But isn't it strange that the Era100&300 have this same problem? Because they 2 speakers do not have the same hardware ??!

I think that makes a large assumption that they don’t share internal electronics of some kind that could be affected as one possibility. They are not identical but I would imagine they could have a lot of similarities for manufacturing, firmware and software integration reasons (as my speculation anyway).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@jrennell 

thanks for the info

Userlevel 3
Badge

I just spoke with Sonos support once again as (continuing my case) speakers #7 and #8 also had the popping sounds. Interestingly these two seem to be the “best” as they pop far less frequently than the initial pair #1 and #2 I received. Regardless, they were able to collect some live diagnostics while I was on the phone with them and I was told they detected a hardware fault with the speakers.

It sounds like this has become a known issue for them, at least internally, and the engineering team is investigating the cause which again appears to be suspected as a hardware issue with an internal component. I’ll let Sonos communicate what they find either with individuals who call in or if they opt for a wider communication for affected customers-- that way I don’t share any misinformation while they investigate.

I would reiterate a prior comment of mine: if you are affected, I encourage you to take the time to capture a system diagnostic after experiencing the issue, documenting it best as you’re able to and contact Sonos support to report the issue. You will likely need to undergo an RMA for the unit(s) if they determine the issue is the same as the one I have evidently been encountering.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Flare

With my ERA100 I hear a very quiet crackling sound

I have that as well along with the occasional pop’s.😳 Hope at some point soon this is fixed with a software update..or if its H/W Sonos owns up, fixes it and replaces the units for those affected.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Flare 

With my ERA100 I hear a very quiet crackling sound