Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Userlevel 3

So I just set up the Sonos Arc soundbar that supports eARC. It works with my 2020 65" Frame TV until I change the eARC setting on the Frame TV to Auto. The sound mutes and I can't get it to play until I turn eARC off. Anyone else have this issue? I’ve messed around with this for a few hours to no avail. 

icon

Best answer by Ditte 22 January 2021, 17:53

View original

668 replies

Badge

Hi all, yet another note from the dev team:

We have been working on the ongoing audio problem between the Sonos Arc and several 2020 Samsung TV models. These models support the new eARC connectivity. Samsung TVs prior to and from 2019 do not support eARC and are not seeing this particular problem. Customers will randomly experience a complete loss of audio which requires either the rebooting of the Sonos Arc and/or the rebooting of the Samsung TV. 

If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.

Best,

Ditte

Happy to help.  Is there a way to get directly to someone who can get us involved, I would not want to have to go through hours of troubleshooting changing HDMI etc would rather get straight to this testing programme if possible ?

Happy to help too. Arc and 2020 43 frame TV. 

I am also here to help with the test. Please send the patch to my ARC as soon as you can. My return windows ends in two days (01/24/2021). Thank you.

Happy to help. Maybe the customer service can PM me as the way out?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

We have been working on the ongoing audio problem between the Sonos Arc and several 2020 Samsung TV models. These models support the new eARC connectivity. Samsung TVs prior to and from 2019 do not support eARC and are not seeing this particular problem. Customers will randomly experience a complete loss of audio which requires either the rebooting of the Sonos Arc and/or the rebooting of the Samsung TV. 

If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.

Best,

Ditte

I would like to assist.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Just called the customer care dept - they have no idea what is going on (as if that’s any surprise).

Badge

Just called the customer care dept - they have no idea what is going on (as if that’s any surprise).

I figured that would be the case, hence my request above to give us a way into the organisation - if you just call support we will surely start troubleshooting from scratch.  They should organise this out from support or give us a reference or something.  I do hope it isn’t just to give the appearance of something being done.

Best,

Ditte

Be happy to help, but customer care had no idea what I was talking about. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Brilliant - here’s my chat….  @Ditte  (can you help?)   -They have no idea what is going on….

Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:54 PM): Thanks, I'm transferring you to a live rep now.
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:38:41 PM): Hi , How are you doing? I hope everything is good. Please allow me a few minutes to catch up on the details you provided

null (1/22/2021, 2:38:52 PM): Absolutely
null (1/22/2021, 2:39:10 PM): My exact issue (and apparently a fix) is below:
null (1/22/2021, 2:39:27 PM): https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-samsung-frame-tv-earc-not-working-6842523

Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:43:16 PM): Thank you for the information.
For now we haven't got any updates from un engineers about the issue.
But Since you are part of the beta program with new updates released Software.
Hoping that one of these new updates from the program will get the issue fix.

null (1/22/2021, 2:44:33 PM): did you look at my link? YOUR community manager said to reach out if we want to help test the fix
null (1/22/2021, 2:45:01 PM): posted by Ditte

Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:46:18 PM): Quoting: If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.
From the link you send.

null (1/22/2021, 2:46:46 PM): Yes -and I am willing to test and I'd like the hotfix applied

Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:47:35 PM): This would be to join the beta program, which has software updates not realized.
To join the  beta program, please follow this article:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2967?language=en_US

null (1/22/2021, 2:48:12 PM): She says nothing about the beta program (I AM a part of your beta program)
null (1/22/2021, 2:49:11 PM): ...and your beta program hasn't sent out anything regarding this

Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:50:11 PM): In that case, if the update from the beta program hasn't released the update regarding your issue unfortunately we will have to wait until it's released, and then tested by you guys.

null (1/22/2021, 2:51:29 PM): Then why on earth is Ditte, your community manager, posting on the open/public forum and inviting any1 experiencing the issue to test it?
null (1/22/2021, 2:52:23 PM): telling us to reach out to YOU

Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:53:29 PM): I don't know the reason.
But I guess he was/is hoping the patch referring to the issue you are going through would be released soon enough so you guys would have it fixed.
But for now, we haven't got any updates from our engineers.

null (1/22/2021, 2:53:56 PM): Very helpful . thank you. Have a nice day.

I would have loved to help but I’ve returned my Frame TV as I wasn’t getting an ETA either from Samsung or Sonos regarding this issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Ditte , is this separate from the Samsung/Sonos issue where roughly 20 to 30 minutes the audio cuts out for split second but come back? You can see my previous posts on the issue (and it is on a 2020 TV, mine is a Q90T).

Does the team consider it related? I know others have seen this as well (e.g. it shows up periodically in the Sonos and/or 4KTV subreddits).

Love to know what is involved to help.

Brilliant - here’s my chat….

Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:21 PM): Hey there! I'm the Sonos Assistant.
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:22 PM): Are you here to ask about an open case?
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:24 PM): Menu Options:
    Yes
    No
null (1/22/2021, 2:35:25 PM): Yes
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:28 PM): Got it. And what's the 8 digit Sonos case number?
null (1/22/2021, 2:35:39 PM): 02549702
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:42 PM): And can I have please have the email address associated with the case?
null (1/22/2021, 2:35:47 PM): edelkamp1979@comcast.net
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:53 PM): Thanks.
Sonos Assistant (1/22/2021, 2:35:54 PM): Thanks, I'm transferring you to a live rep now.
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:38:41 PM): Hi , How are you doing? I hope everything is good. Please allow me a few minutes to catch up on the details you provided
null (1/22/2021, 2:38:52 PM): Absolutely
null (1/22/2021, 2:39:10 PM): My exact issue (and apparently a fix) is below:
null (1/22/2021, 2:39:27 PM): https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/sonos-arc-samsung-frame-tv-earc-not-working-6842523
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:43:16 PM): Thank you for the information.
For now we haven't got any updates from un engineers about the issue.
But Since you are part of the beta program with new updates released Software.
Hoping that one of these new updates from the program will get the issue fix.
null (1/22/2021, 2:44:33 PM): did you look at my link? YOUR community manager said to reach out if we want to help test the fix
null (1/22/2021, 2:45:01 PM): posted by Ditte
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:46:18 PM): Quoting: If you are experiencing this problem and you are willing to assist with some short term testing, please contact our customer care department at your earliest convenience.
From the link you send.
null (1/22/2021, 2:46:46 PM): Yes -and I am willing to test and I'd like the hotfix applied
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:47:35 PM): This would be to join the beta program, which has software updates not realized.
To join the  beta program, please follow this article:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2967?language=en_US
null (1/22/2021, 2:48:12 PM): She says nothing about the beta program (I AM a part of your beta program)
null (1/22/2021, 2:49:11 PM): ...and your beta program hasn't sent out anything regarding this
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:50:11 PM): In that case, if the update from the beta program hasn't released the update regarding your issue unfortunately we will have to wait until it's released, and then tested by you guys.
null (1/22/2021, 2:51:29 PM): Then why on earth is Ditte, your community manager, posting on the open/public forum and inviting any1 experiencing the issue to test it?
null (1/22/2021, 2:52:23 PM): telling us to reach out to YOU
Hugo G (1/22/2021, 2:53:29 PM): I don't know the reason.
But I guess he was/is hoping the patch referring to the issue you are going through would be released soon enough so you guys would have it fixed.
But for now, we haven't got any updates from our engineers.
null (1/22/2021, 2:53:56 PM): Very helpful . thank you. Have a nice day.

lol. Amazing. Thanks for posting this. Love the last line, very helpful indeed. 

Userlevel 1

I have the beta patch downloaded onto my Arc and it seems to work, so it’s bad that the service support guy (Hugo G) doesn’t have a clue about it. The patch ends in 070 and when downloaded onto the Arc it helps to eliminate the e-arc issues caused by Samsung 2020 frame TV’s . The patch is only a temporary fixeront Sonos  but at the speed Samsung work it is likely to be a permanent thing. Samsung are showing no interest in fixing the issue each update they have produced has made no difference. Useless company 

Best,

Ditte

@Ditte I’d love to help, do I just contact my local customer support in Norway or do I need to send in a particular form?

I am able to help with this issue as well. 

Setup:

75” Samsung Q8DT (Q80T)

Software Version: 1460.9

Sonos ARC connected 

Devices connected to tv:

Xbox Series X

PlayStation 5

Nvidia Shield TV

Awakelion 5 in 1 out 4k HDMI Switch

Issues:

Sound (ATMOS) will cut out every 30 minutes for 1-2 seconds

Sound (ATMOS) will cut out completely requiring reboot of TV or sonos or disabling and enabling ATOMS

Issues with PCM passthrough for Nintendo Switch 5.1

@Ditte 

Support didn’t seem to know anything when I contacted them. They wanted to troubleshoot the same basic things I’ve done 100 times with Sonos already. I went through the steps with them, however I would like to help out further with the dev team on any beta releases or other specific testing they may need. I’m not sure that any real info was gathered by me contacting support. 

Sonos patched both my Arcs a week ago and the issues have completely gone. I’ve got a 55” and 75” Frame 2020 that had issues but since the patch, I’ve not had to restart the Arcs and re-enabled eArc and Atmos on the Frames. Best of all, my wife has now stopped threatening to “throw those bloody sound bars out the window”.

it took Sonos a wee while to get this sorted, but very happy to see they’ve managed to figure it out. Support were great, they called me and walked through the upgrade, was sorted in 15 minutes.

Contacted (German) support today by chat. They were directly aware of the topicbut had to forward that topic internally. Now I am waiting for feedback by mail. Hope I will get the fix and can test. Family very unhappy with current situation...

Userlevel 1

Also very happy to help. Though this really should be pretty easy to reproduce with two items of hardware, given how widespread the issue seems to be. Never been more disappointed with such an expensive purchase and product combo. This still happens frequently in our household and it’s deeply frustrating...

For those who received the patch, please check if you can output the sound from the TV to a different output, such as tv internal speakers, bluetooth, etc while using the Sonos ARC. It was known that the TV sound will switch back to the Sonos ARC by itself regardless what output selected. 

Badge

Best,

Ditte

Hi Ditte, I’m experiencing this too and am willing to try any early fixes.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

On one hand I want try try it just to get this waste of money finally going.  But I’m sick of how poor the response has been and last thing I need is to be a guinea pig to see what else breaks.  This is absurd. 

Is there somewhere we can get the patch from without going through support?

Best,

Ditte

Happy to help.  Is there a way to get directly to someone who can get us involved, I would not want to have to go through hours of troubleshooting changing HDMI etc would rather get straight to this testing programme if possible ?

Me too please / brand new arc and 75” Samsung frame tv and one other 2020 Samsung tv

Userlevel 2

I spoke with Sonos support last week.  not sure if they made patch widely available of if they pushed to my account. I updated my system with Support own the phone and sent them a diagnostic.  Support confirmed the patch they sent me installed to my ARC.    2020 65” Frame TV with the ARC/AMP/Sub.  I have had perfect functionality since the update.