Answered

Sonos Arc Samsung Frame TV eARC not working

Show first post

668 replies

Hi @Ditte I’d love to help, and receive the patch.  Got the 75” Samsung Q95T here in the UK with Arc, Sub 3, and 1’s and it’s driving the family mad :-).  I’m on the Sonos beta programme too.

This has become the most disappointing entertainment purchasing experience.

I requested a callback from Samsung over a week ago and have received no response.

Have been eagerly waiting for update about a final fix for months on this thread from Ditte or other Samsung official. Spoke with someone from Sonos a few days ago and though I think they sincerely made attempts to help me, I was told there was no solution for the problem of sound cutting in and out on my Sonos Arc connected to my 2020 Samsung Frame.

Though I do think most of blame goes to Samsung for this connectivity issue, I do think that the cost of these devices and highly regarded reputation of both companies should have led to solution for this months ago. Feels like it it going completely unnoticed by both parties

Although I didn’t want it to come to this, I’m afraid I’ll end up requesting a full refund of my Sonos equipment because of this poor performance with combined devices. 

Badge

Have some progress to report.  After my poor experience on the website chat, I received a follow up email, I replied with my thoughts and frustration at the situation and that the patch wasn’t allegedly available to me because it is only for beta users (according to the chat person).  Today I received a response from an escalation person who has asked me for a convenient time to install the patch this week !!!!  So pleased.  Apparently it is only temporary while they resolve at the Samsung side, and causes the screensaver (?) on the arc to be disabled but I’m happy to give it a go.  

The patch reduces the load on the TV apparently, and “reduces the prevalence” of the issue (which I read to mean it doesn’t fully resolve it).  Will report back, have asked for it to be done Thursday.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Have some progress to report.  After my poor experience on the website chat, I received a follow up email, I replied with my thoughts and frustration at the situation and that the patch wasn’t allegedly available to me because it is only for beta users (according to the chat person).  Today I received a response from an escalation person who has asked me for a convenient time to install the patch this week !!!!  So pleased.  Apparently it is only temporary while they resolve at the Samsung side, and causes the screensaver (?) on the arc to be disabled but I’m happy to give it a go.  

The patch reduces the load on the TV apparently, and “reduces the prevalence” of the issue (which I read to mean it doesn’t fully resolve it).  Will report back, have asked for it to be done Thursday.

It would be interesting to learn more about ‘reduces the load on the TV’, is there something inherent in the design of the Arc which is proving to be problematic with connected hardware?

Badge

It would be interesting to learn more about ‘reduces the load on the TV’, is there something inherent in the design of the Arc which is proving to be problematic with connected hardware?

I read it more as the Samsung is struggling under the load so the patch means the Arc takes on more tasks that the Samsung should be doing.

Same issue. I have the 75 inch Frame TV and Arc. So frustrating. It happens usually when I listen to music via Bluetooth and then try to watch something streaming. Is there a fix yet?

Userlevel 1

Was able to get Sonos to apply the patch about 24 hours ago.  My setup is a QLED Frame TV 2020 (55 inch) LS03T and a Sonos Arc + Sub.  Upon applying the patch, the audio cut-out issue has NOT occurred once.  I have eARC and Atoms enabled on the TV and tested various sound profiles via appls on the TV (Atomos, 5.1, TrueHD, etc.) everything sounds great.  When Atmos is playing, the Sonos app properly reflects it.  I’ll update here every few days but so far so good.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Was able to get Sonos to apply the patch about 24 hours ago.  My setup is a QLED Frame TV 2020 (55 inch) LS03T and a Sonos Arc + Sub.  Upon applying the patch, the audio cut-out issue has NOT occurred once.  I have eARC and Atoms enabled on the TV and tested various sound profiles via appls on the TV (Atomos, 5.1, TrueHD, etc.) everything sounds great.  When Atmos is playing, the Sonos app properly reflects it.  I’ll update here every few days but so far so good.

Where are you and what steps did you have to go through? - last time I contacted support they had no idea and refused to do anything (that was about a week ago). I’m in the US…...I’ve seen people from the UK getting the update. Fingers crossed it keeps working for you!

Userlevel 1

Where are you and what steps did you have to go through? - last time I contacted support they had no idea and refused to do anything (that was about a week ago). I’m in the US…...I’ve seen people from the UK getting the update. Fingers crossed it keeps working for you!

I’m in the US.  It took 4 or 5 calls to finally get traction.  On my last call, the support agent escalated me to a supervisor appointment, where I was able to schedule a call with a supervisor/engineer.  Once I was on the call with that individual, they were able to diagnose and apply the patch without any issue. 

I did the chat and told the rep there is a patch. He connected with an engineer and they set my system to do normal Sonia update to install new arc software. 

the new build for the arc is 61185070.  This is supposed to have a fix for Samsung frame. 

Userlevel 1

My update:

1. Tried sonos chat - they were useless - said I needed to call
  2. Called and got support right away.  This guy Jose was great.  That being said my build for the ARC was the latest and he said there isn’t a newer one.  Their “patch” didn’t fix the problem and they are reengaging with Samsung to fix this.  He asked me to unplug my apple tv (or other HDMI devices) because they could be hijacking the signal “say whaa??” 
  3. My build number on my Arc is different than what @meigs1 posted and it is lower.  However support told me the builds are regionalized so just because you have a different number doesn’t mean you don’t have the “fix”
  4. Sr Engineer will call me in next 1-2 days to do some troubleshooting.  
  5. Wife is still sooo pissed. Like Bridgerton with the sound cutting in and out completely sucks. 
  6. Help me sonos - you are my only hope.

Thank you

After I got the update above I haven’t had the problem. Whatever they did it seems to be working. 

The chat person didn’t know about the update until he talked to an engineer and then they did it right away.  I suggest you call back and tell them your build is lower and you want the update.  I did that several times before the chat person checked. And then he said he didn’t know about the patch or update but was glad to know now 

Userlevel 1

Thanks @meigs1 will do that.  I kept pushing the guy to just give me the update but he kept saying I already have it.  He left to talk to an engineer for a while and that’s what he was told.  Will try again. 

Tell the engineer my build code and tell him yours.  When it is attributed to region I am in northeast US.  Ask what is the max build number in the US and what is build number in your area.  I guess I got lucky because the person I got took action.  Did something so I could get it through normal Sonos update.  

good luck. 

Userlevel 1

hmmm good to know - I am in Long Island.  

I also got told to call Samsung etc.  I shared the thread and told him to go to pg 19 where a couple people talked about patch. That created additional motivation.  I think the build code should maybe help. 

inwonder if it is a Samsung problem and this patch just hides the problem maybe cycles power at 3 am or something like that. Until whatever fix is finally rendered anything is a big help. I was going to take my arc back. 
I am in PA so we are pretty close too 

Badge

The contact from the Sonos escalation team  called me today at the agreed time and walked me through some steps to allow him to patch the arc.  Was able to play Atmos content after, of course this is no guarantee given the intermittent issue.  He was very clear at the outset that this is a Samsung HDMI compliance issue and that this is a temporary fix while Samsung fix it.  Will let you know if I get any issues but so far so good.

Related to this amd atmos.  When I stream jack ryan series from Amazon I get Dolby atmos connection as described.  There are other UHD movies I have purchased on Amazon that I believe are also Atmos but they say Dolby 5.1 PCM. 

I know it works with at least jack ryan. Is there a trick or something I am missing. Or is it there is limited atmos content available 

I got the update today after speaking with support for about 30 min (Norway). Unfortunately the update failed and now my Arc is useless, it cannot connect to the internet anymore. Have tried a factory reset without any luck and will have to reach out to Sonia Support again tomorrow.

Called Sonos support and the young lady promised me that my issue was poor wireless service to the Arc. I promised her that it was not and would like to speak to an engineer. She obliged politely and they called me back the next day. The gentlemen said he is on a team of 15 engineers and he himself has seen this issue at least 4 times. So he estimated they have had 50+ calls on this. 

He applied the build update for the Arc through the Sonos app on my phone in about 30 seconds. Works great. 

I have an Arc and a 2020 Samsung The Frame 65” TV.  Have had same issue since I purchased both in September.  I am pleased to say today it is finally resolved.

I used Sonos Support Chat and asked for the patch referenced in this thread.  Build #61183220

The support agent made me run through some questions and diagnostics.  She then sent a patch to my Sonos different from the one above.  I loaded it and so far (very early hours so far since receiving patch) things are working.  Interestingly enough my patch build # is different and it is build #61185271.

I am based in North Carolina, USA.

I have an Arc and a 2020 Samsung The Frame 65” TV.  Have had same issue since I purchased both in September.  I am pleased to say today it is finally resolved.

I used Sonos Support Chat and asked for the patch referenced in this thread.  Build #61183220

The support agent made me run through some questions and diagnostics.  She then sent a patch to my Sonos different from the one above.  I loaded it and so far (very early hours so far since receiving patch) things are working.  Interestingly enough my patch build # is different and it is build #61185271.

I am based in North Carolina, USA.

This is the same build I had installed, NC. My guess is this is a new build or that user was in a different country. 

With the build and the sound no longer skipping for the The Frame with HDMI-eARC Mode set to Auto and Dolby Atmos Compatability on what do I need to do to get Atmos? In Amazon Prime Video I tried Jack Ryan and the Sonos app is only reporting Digital PCM 5.1 and not Atmos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

With the build and the sound no longer skipping for the The Frame with HDMI-eARC Mode set to Auto and Dolby Atmos Compatability on what do I need to do to get Atmos? In Amazon Prime Video I tried Jack Ryan and the Sonos app is only reporting Digital PCM 5.1 and not Atmos.

Only certain seasons are in atmos - as you’re looking through the menu on Prime it will specifically say “Atmos” (I don’t remember if s1 or s2 has it - and also don’t remember if the atmos was on hd or uhd) - Prime is weird that way.

Only certain seasons are in atmos - as you’re looking through the menu on Prime it will specifically say “Atmos” (I don’t remember if s1 or s2 has it - and also don’t remember if the atmos was on hd or uhd) - Prime is weird that way.

Thank you!