Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

751 replies

Badge

Hello,

After 3 days,

I can say that the patch works perfectly ! No cut, and it's something that has never happened in more than 3 months….

For those who can't have this patch, maybe you should take part of the Sonos beta program.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2967?language=fr

My Q95T just got an update. Immediate effect is that eArc startes working. Have to wait and see wether the sound cutting issue is also resolved. In any case progress has been made since the eArc function didn’t work at all previously.

Didn’t help - the saga continues.

Badge

@Kyle A another 985001023. It has cut out at least 6 times today. I’ve used Airplay and never observed an issue. Additionally, before the ARC arrived, I had the TV hooked to a Sony AVR via ARC and never once had an issue.

Using process of elimination here, that leaves two possible faulty components: the HDMI cable Sonos supplied, or a hardware or software fault for the HDMI input for the ARC. I’ve noticed others have switched out the cable and observed the same results with the audio cutting out.

Since this appears to either be a hardware or software issue for the ARC, it would be great to get some insight on how and when this will be fixed. Otherwise I’ll miss my 45 day refund window while spinning my wheels swapping out the HDMI cables and submitting a diagnostic each day...

Badge

And now the audio dropped completly. It happend when i changed the channel and the audio came back when i changed back to the previous channel.

Diagnostic: 601904730

That’s what happens to me with Arc and Lg cx.

Me too. Literally thought the audio had cut out on the TV channel. For me, might have been when going from 2 ch to DD 5.1 between the two TV channels.

I have same issue every now and again, turn on and the soundbar sound cuts in and out. Unplugging soundbar does fix it but i don't want to have to do this regularly - is there a permanent fix for this? Can Sonos address this?

I have the Arc and Samsung QE55Q85R, connected via HDMI Arc via the Samsung's One Connect box. 

Same here. Same setup, same issues

Sonos please fix this! We are having this problem too for weeks. Everytime we power the tv, the problem occurs. We tested all your proposed “solutions”, but none of them work! This is clearly a wide spead problems, which should not occur in such a setup (Arc, 2 Ones and a sub). Get us a software fix or whatever, this has been around for months and still no real solution!

Thanks for your message.  My TV is the XBR85X90CH and has the latest update (released on 11/26) based on the info on Sony’s support website for this TV. 

My setup is Sony X950G with Sonos Arc (connect by HDMI eARC to TV & Ethernet connection to router)

No other HDMI device connected….

Also got the 0.5 - 1.5 secs dropped when viewing Youtube from Sony TV (Internal Youtube apps) in every minute….

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks. Is there a complete solution in the works? Under current conditions the speaker is doing less than advertised. 

I’ve been a long time follower of this thread and wanted to give me own experience on this matter.  I own a 2020 Samsung Q80T and have had it connected to an Arc for almost a year now.  In that time I’ve had this infamous audio skip which has been tormenting me.  Any Atmos and even some non-Atmos content would cause audio to skip every 1-10 minutes like clock work.  I honestly thought this would never end.  I was going mad like everyone else.

I’m a cable cutter so I was using a 2019 Shield TV (Tube) for all video/audio, a 15 ft HDMI cable going from the Shield to TV and another 15 ft HDMI cable going from the TV eArc port to the Arc.  Both cables were HDMI 2.0b rated.  Firmware was always up to date on the TV, Shield and Arc.

About two weeks ago I finally said enough is enough and re-did the whole setup.  I swapped the Shield TV to a Shield TV Pro (Mainly to get more RAM and move from a 32-bit to 64-bit OS), I wall mounted the Arc and connected it to the TV using the Sonos provided HDMI cable this time.  I also swapped out the HDMI cable connecting the Shield TV Pro with a 2.1 rated one (15 ft).  Lastly I factory reset the TV and Arc (The Shield started from a wiped drive since it was new).  

Once everything was set back up I made sure all CEC settings were turned off on all devices (Anynet+ on the TV had to be left on in order for eArc to work), I made sure audio pass-through was enabled on all devices, and I made sure HDMI Input Signal Plus was enabled for all ports being used on the Samsung.

Lo and behold I’m two weeks in and not a single audio blip.  Which change above fixed things?  No idea.  I like to think the new cable and factory resets were the most likely cause.  I also moved the HDMI cable from the Shiled from input one to input four on the Samsung since it was the only HDMI 2.1 port on the TV.  I know this shouldn’t matter but I thought mind as well use the port with the higher specs since it was available.

Lets hope I can put this issue to rest from here on out.  Good luck to all and yes there’s still hope for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@hi-tone @Benny879 @WRM @EmileG 

Could anyone who is still experiencing constant audio drop outs on a Sonos Arc with a HDMI-connected Samsung TV, after updating both Sonos and Samsung software to their latest versions, please get in touch with our technical support team directly? Thanks.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I also had no issues for almost 2 months after I bought it.  The issue started randomly one day and it is very inconsistent.  There are days when it takes hours after a reboot to resurface and there are times when it takes days after to resurface.  I imagine inconsistency unfortunately probably means harder to debug.  I have not changed any settings or added new devices since day1, only connected to the TV and nothing else and have not used it in any other way.

Hi ElvinSan.  So are you using the HDMI cable supplied by Sonos (which is only HDMI 1.4 compliant and not technically certified for eARC) or are you using a certified HDMI v2.0 cable? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @WRM

We aren’t aware of any current issues with the Samsung Q80T and Arc. 

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Dogdad and @method_ben, sorry for the late response.

The release notes state:

• Full system update 
  • Fix for Lifecycle bug impacting Legacy players
  • Other bug fixes/app cleanup

I’ve checked the progress of other issues with the Arc like the connection issue with Samsung TVs, the investigation is still on-going.

I’ll try to gather more information about the update.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Don’t forget it’s not just Samsung TVs that experience connection issues, the new LG CX also has connection issues.

Hi

I'm just another fool who's invested in a Sonos Arc and now getting audio cutting in/out on a new Samsung q80t. Wish I read this thread first.

What's Sonos response on it? 

Is the beam also having the same issues?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Thanks for your message.  My TV is the XBR85X90CH and has the latest update (released on 11/26) based on the info on Sony’s support website for this TV. 

Is it the V6.4960 update? It’s rolled out to different locations at different times. Look at the yellow highlight area..

Same issue with my tv and ARC. tried unplugging (power and HDMI). 

here is the diagnostic: 1904797134

Hi. Hope you can please help. Just received my Sonos Arc a few days ago.  I have been having a strange problem with sound cutting out using my Apple TV 4K.  I am using the latest LG CX TV.  

If I play an iTunes movie with a menu the sound plays fine on the menu. I then start the movie in Dolby atmos which plays fine. If I then return to the movie’s menu the sound keeps cutting out. If I return to the movie in Dolby atmos it plays fine.

This sound issue also shows up in the Tidal app on Apple TV. If I play a Dolby atmos album then play a normal stereo track the sound keeps cutting out. 

I installed the Tidal app on my Nvidia Shield and I do not experience this issue at all. 

I have read on another forum that you plan an upgrade to the Arc which will enable Lossless PCM sound. Is this true and when will this update arrive as I’m hoping it may fix the problem?

my diagnostic number is 952087010. 

Thanks.

It’s not.  My TV’s model (XBR-85X90CH) is not listed in the ‘Applicable Models’ list for v6.4960.  I have the latest firmware for my model

I wonder if anyone has a 2019/20 Sony fix? The problem’s obviously widespread. Thx 

No - I have the 2020 X900H and it is not solved.

Same here, but on my x900h I set HDMI 3 option to "enhanced Format" in the HDMI signal format settings and replaced the OEM HDMI cord with a higher end 8k compatible cord and the issue is pretty much gone. I only heard it twice during Hamilton on Disney+, no way else. It's been good for about a month now.

Hamilton on Disney+ was the worse offender for me… so bad, that I turned it off. Hopefully things will be resolved by beginning of next month when Mulan is released.

Bravia 950H as I reported shows this exact problem.  I opened up a case with Sonos and I’m about to provide them with the information they requested (diagnostic logs, various attempts at isolating the problem).  I thought I’d share what I’m going to send in the event its helpful to someone else.

@Kyle A , thank you for responding. I sure hope a fix can be developed so I don’t have to return the unit, when it works, especially with Dolby Atmos support, its quite amazing.  But losing sound in the middle of watching something is just so fundamental it cannot be ignored; so this must get fixed or go back.

Here’s the sequence of steps I took when I got the problem to happen again (streaming Hulu from the Sony Smart TV interface)

Audio cut out / stopped on Sony TV / HULU playing

captured logs

started Spotify music targeting the ARC = sound ok

Switched TV Input to cable TV (HDMI 1) = sound ok

Switched TV back to Sony TV / Hulu = sound still not working

Switched TV Input to HDMI 2 (Roku stick) = sound ok

Switched TV back to Sony TV / Hulu = sound still not working

Switched Sony TV to Disney+ = sound ok

Switched TV back to Sony TV / Hulu = sound is now working again.

HTH

Edit: I’m not intentionally picking on Hulu. the same cut out happens with Disney+, Netflix, etc.  I don’t think what is streaming matters (though the problem might be based on the fact that something is streaming, IDK).

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have just updated to the latest firmware (05.00.02) on my lg b9, but no change. Still the same problems.

I got the ARC and the Sony X900H, also have the same issue with audio cutting in and out after a few seconds. I already updated the tv on the latest firmware. I already tried everything that Sonos suggested.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

It’s not.  My TV’s model (XBR-85X90CH) is not listed in the ‘Applicable Models’ list for v6.4960.  I have the latest firmware for my model

I bet you’ll get it at one point.