Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

750 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Talvish 

All I can really recommend is that you make sure all devices are up-to-date and have all been rebooted (unplug from power - standby won’t help). Check your HDMI connections too - maybe reverse the cables so each plug is plugging into a different device/socket.

With luck, it will be much like the Apple TV and be fixed in an update. Are all other sources playing OK?

Hi @hi-tone 

Glad to hear you’re now able to listen issue-free! Thanks for sharing what fixed it for you!

Badge

@Kyle A thanks for pulling the responses to various people together in one post.

Glad to hear Sonos are working on it, which is pretty much what was mentioned in my call to the help line, when I was told in the meantime to keep rebooting my TV - they did specifically mention that it was an issue with the TV manufacturer (Samsung) who may be slow to respond.

Reading these posts over the last couple of months it sounds the other way round, ie it seems to be an issue with quite a few TV manufacturer's, based on that the Arc seems to be the common denominator and would say that is the area the focus needs to be on - if I had read these posts before my purchase it would have definitely put me off this purchase.

I don’t see this in the US version of the update.

I did not see this either.

I updated my X950H to v6.4960 and it appears the issue is resolved with the Arc. I watched an episode of The Umbrella Academy and not one sound drop or distortion, whereas previously the sound would completely cut out 5-10 times per episode.

Badge

I have a similar issue with a twist.  LG OLED65CX, Sonos Amp (new Version) x 2, Sonos Sub - HDMI2 ARC, Humax FVP-4000T PVR - HDMI1. When Humax is powered ON the Sonos works like a dream, Humax to Standby, the TV jumps from HDMI ARC to Internal Speakers.  Various timings from once an hour to every few minutes. Solution, only watch the TV with the Humax always ON. 

Now the twist, added Bluetooth headphones - Detected by the TV but when selected as primary sound out, the TV immediately returns to HDMI ARC (Sonos Amps) and will not stay on the selected Bluetooth option!  I presented the problem to my TV supplier and they setup the same system in their showroom with exactly the same results.  They then changed the TV to a Sony - same problem.  They then changed the sound-bar (not a Sonos) and everything worked perfectly.  So over to you Sonos, the problem is certainly yours as my excellent team at my retailer have proved conclusively.  

I have been exchanging emails with the senior software product manager at Sonos who has just sent me the below information …

We are currently focused on some Samsung issues and making good progress.  After we address those TVs, we will be moving onto the Sony.  I'm afraid the process of tracking down interop issues is a long one as it can take a while to replicate the issue(s). I cannot give you a timeline at this stage but it is worth noting that one of the solutions for the Samsung issues will likely improve,  if not fix,  your issues but we will need more testing. 

Keeping my fingers crossed ….

Userlevel 1
Badge

I'm having the same problem

LG OLED CX 2020 model - using EARC via hdmi to the Sonos arc

apple TV 4K 

when it starts happening it won't stop, even if I reboot the Apple TV. Have to reboot the whole tv or Sonos arc to fox it.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Getting weird. Was watching football today on Youtube TV. Switched from Giants v. Bengals (FOX) to Colts v. Titans (CBS). All ok. Then switch back and sound dropped. Back to Colts v. Titans and sound back. Back again to Giants v. Bengals and . . . sound back! Did not have to switch sound source, unplug anything, or power cycle anything. So again, seems like audio when interrupted upon changing channels sometimes is re-established, sometimes not. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have a new Arc (with sub and surrounds) and new 65” Samsung The Frame. The audio connection problem is real.

Sonos and Samsung need to work together to fix it.

A simple power on and off of the Arc consistently fixes this. 

But doing this is not only inconvenient, also very occasionally I then have an issue with the Arc cluster properly re-registering on the network, sometimes then, in-turn, requiring me to reset my entire mesh network.

Sonos owes everyone a formal public statement about how it will fix its problem.

And it should fix it, and fast.

Exactly my setup, and exactly my problems.  It has been months and months!!  Cmon Sonos!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

So I have just been on the phone with Sonos and on chat with Samsung at the same time. Sonos believe the issue is the way Samsung has implemented the eARC in the TV is not to HDMI standard. They are still actively working on a solution with Samsung,

Samsung and Sonos have advised to turn off eARC for the time being until a fix is issued… (fix might be returning this tv...) D̶o̶l̶b̶y̶ ̶A̶t̶m̶o̶s̶

Read the above post on Samsung update..

Badge

Hi, there, 

My set up:

Arc, Samsung Q90 85’ TV, eARC connection. both are on latest version of firmware. 

external device: Apple TV, PS5, Virgin Media TV box (UK)

Before I plug in the Virgin Media TV Box, everything was working flawlessly. So I assume that’s the TV box which caused the issue. The TV box has a function that its remote controller can take over the volume control of TV. Normally, people will turn it on. I switched it off. So the TV volume can’t be controlled by the TV Box controller anymore.  Bingo, no more sound cut off. 

Maybe it’s better to test each external device one by one. From my experience, the issue was caused by external device, not by TV or Arc. 

The maximum data rate for Dolby Digital Plus is 6.144 Gbit/s, so agree there. 

For Dolby TrueHD, the audio stream including metadata can be up to 18 Mbit/s (instantaneous).  If the cable tops out at 10.2 Gbit/s and the audio stream exceeds 10.2 Gbit/s the cable could introduce signal attenuation, crosstalk, data, clock or phase errors. Which could cause audio drop outs.

My main interest would be streaming Atmos TrueHD from a NAS.

Read the latest updates and adding another voice to the same problem, will try local support in AUS and see if they have anything more to offer than the script… otherwise will be returning and downgrading to something with less bugs… will post if I have any luck

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hey @Corry P 

Everything is up-to-date, done various unplugs from power. Ensure (and replaced) HDMI cables.  As for other sources, nothing else is plugged into the TV and haven’t tried the built-in apps in a long while.

I have an LG cx. I just ordered the arc which won’t ship till mid January. After reading this post I’m wondering if I should cancel my order. Do they all have issues with sound dropping and magic remotes not working?  Please be honest. $850 is a lot to spend on a sound bar that only works sometime. Thanks. 

Same problem here with Arc connected to Sony AG9 using supplied HDMI, no Sony update available for me here in the UK.

I also experience Google assistant nutting my sound and butting in when no command given, I wonder is it related?

I have to agree with Heavyend81..."I still stand behind my point that if I am spending 2k on a Sonos setup (brand new) I don’t want or even expect any faff whatsoever"

Not sure if anyone has tried, this steps are working for me.

(This is not permanent fix though, probably it will save you from unplugging and plugging)

I have Samsung Frame.

Goto Settings > Sound > Expert Settings > Turn off eARC > Turn off Dolby Atmos Compatibility > at this point issue should be disappeared > Turn on Dolby Atmos Compatibility > Turn on eARC.

Let me know if this helps anyone.

BTW - some eARC fun facts:

eARC supports uncompressed multichannel and immersive audio, including up to eight channels at 192 kHz/24 bits. In addition, lip-sync compensation is mandatory, and eARC can discover connected audio devices and ascertain their capabilities using its own data channel.

eARC uses the twisted pair of wires within an HDMI cable normally used for Ethernet over HDMI.  Here is an example of an eARC connection:

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'm having the same problem

LG OLED CX 2020 model - using EARC via hdmi to the Sonos arc

apple TV 4K 

when it starts happening it won't stop, even if I reboot the Apple TV. Have to reboot the whole tv or Sonos arc to fox it.

Have you upgraded the 12.0.5 firmware? It’s for the sub and Arc

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@EmileG 

Please click on the technical support link here or above to start a chat or get your local telephone support number.

Samsung Q90T with Arc connected via eARC HDMI connection. Same issue here as well. Very random, usually when TV is first turned on. Sometimes it’s fine, sometimes it cuts out on and off for random periods of time. I’ve tried changing inputs, settings, HDMI cords, apps, used Samsung TV and Apple TV 4K and when the issue is occurring, it occurs no matter what I’m using or doing. As random as it starts, it just randomly ends as well. I have not unplugged the Arc power cord and plugged it back in but will try that for now if it happens again. Very annoying issue to say the least. Once it starts working, it’ll be fine for hours and hours for me and will only happen again once I turn the TV off and then turn it back on later on or the next morning (or sometimes is fine). 

I’ll submit an IT ticket as well. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Still getting sound drops on my ARC with LG CX 

My sound drops more so when switching between sources, just drops altogether, to get it back I have to switch between sources a few times for it to get the audio back.

To me this seems like eARC is flakey on the ARC or on the LG CX, perhaps both.

I also get the stuttering audio sometimes thats been mentioned and also the zip sound thats also been mentioned on here.

I note that some Sonos staff monitor the community chats … I wonder if one would get back to me and give me a good reason to keep the Sonos Arc?

Many of the various reasons to buy/own/keep a Sonos Arc are shown on the product purchase page here:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/arc-black.html

If that helps at all.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

OMG, finally!

I am showing 12.2.2 build 61183220 on my arc.  Will this update push to customers, or is it some kind of manual thing?

I have the same issue. I have a Samsung UN65TU7000F (2020) and using Rocketfish 4K Cables. It started from the first time, but I thought it was a cable issue, tried with different cables and the problem was temporarily solved for about a week. Today, I am having the problem again. Would like to know if its a software issue that will be solved with an update or a hardware issue to send it back.