Answered

Arc TV sound cuts in and out.

Show first post

748 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi. I experienced the same issue yesterday. It was like the Arc had frozen. TV audio kicked in. The white light on the Arc flashed quickly for over a minute and then the Arc kicked back in. 

Mine is connected to a 2020 model Sony A85.

I am having the sound off and on problem repeatedly with my Samsung Q80. Is this an issue with all Sonos sound bars or just the Arc? If so, I would like to exchange the Arc for a soundbar that I don’t have to disconnect twice a month.

I did that.  But it had no affect, although I did not (knowingly) re-boot/re-start the system after that update.

I am having the same issue about once a week. Only way to fix is to unplug. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the same TV across the house and my other TVs have Beam, purchased the same time as the Arc.  I have not had issues with the Beam, only the Arc - really hope it doesn’t show up in the Beam as well.  Everything just simply connected via HDMI.

Userlevel 1
Badge

following thread

same issue, after a  week of trouble-free use, the arc became unlistenable. 2020 era Samsung Frame TV connected HDMI arc. Reboot addresses it temporarily. Peter

Badge

My sound disappears sometimes when I change the channel on my set-top box.  It stays off thereafter, whichever channel I select…  ...unless…  ...I go back to the original channel (when the sound worked) - and it comes back.  It is usually OK thereafter when I channel hop some more.  Obviously this isn’t a fix, but it may minimize the ‘faff’ for some folks.  It’s an LG 8k TV

I still stand behind my point that if I am spending 2k on a Sonos setup (brand new) I don’t want or even expect any faff whatsoever.

Waiting on this fix!!!!  Super annoying, and very disappointing.  The sound is so amazing, to have this happen is really tough to deal with.

Also, this shows as “Answered” when they are actively working on a patch.  Unplug/plugin is not a long term solution to a clear software issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

And now the audio dropped completly. It happend when i changed the channel and the audio came back when i changed back to the previous channel.

Diagnostic: 601904730

That’s what happens to me with Arc and Lg cx.

Have the same issue. Arc with 2020 Samsung Q80T. Changing internal apps, and even sometimes changing channels within YoutubeTV causes sound to drop and not come back. It’s like the video and audio pauses while changing channels or sources; the video returns but not the audio until you “wake it up”. For example, changing audio setting briefly (to internal speakers and then back to Arc) fixes it, but very annoying to have to do this while trying to enjoy $4000 worth of hardware.

I note that some Sonos staff monitor the community chats … I wonder if one would get back to me and give me a good reason to keep the Sonos Arc?

@corianderstem how do I contact tech support directly. Have you got an email address or something. I’ve just replaced all my HDMI cables to High Speed Cables and still the same problem. On Dolby 5.1 not even on Dolby Atmos. 

My new Arc is connected to a brand new Samsung Q60T and the sound keeps cutting out. It worked well for just over a week.  In fact was brilliant.  I called Sonos, the assistant didn’t know about this problem even though people have been talking about it here for months. He asked me to unplug both the TV and Arc which I did and it appeared to work. I then turned off the TV and the next time I turned it on the problem returned. I called again and was asked to reverse the the HDMI cable. That didn’t work. He said call again tomorrow - we’re about to close. Aaarrrgh. This is brand new equipment. I only bought it for the TV. Since it worked fine for a week and I was sure I wanted to keep it I threw away the packaging. Now I’m stuck with £799 worth of junk. 

I’ve experienced this on both Samsung Q90 and Sony 950h with the same Sonos Arc. Using a high-quality HDMI 2.1 cable. The issue happens primarily when switching sources (to another app or HDMI input). The audio either doesn’t come in at all, mutes on/off in cycles, or stutters on/off rapidly. 

Unplugging and plugging back in resolves the issue for a couple days. Turning off eArc limits the number of occurrences but doesn’t entirely eliminate them. 

@Kyle A if this is helpful. Happy to send in actual video, diagnostics, etc. 

I contacted CS but they couldn’t see anything in the diagnostics and told me there’s nothing they could do but to call back next time it happens. Which… isn’t exactly helpful. haha

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi

I see all these threads about audio dropping but most seem to be short sound drops, in my case I have complete audio dropping and not coming back.

Anyone with the same issue, perhaps report it in here.

I have the LG CX and I lose sound all together when changing between sources, this can be simply exiting the Netflix app back to live TV or turning on my xbox and not having an audio outputting, all very random when it occurs.

Various things can bring back the audio, simple on/off off tv, or switching back and forth between sources.

So if anyone else has the same issue, I would love to hear, because I worry that I’m alone with this and it may be a hardware issue.

I’m getting a bit fed up with this issue, had the ARC nearly 3 months and just want to be sure its something that others experience, I don't mind waiting for a fix if that’s the case.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I was thinking about the issue that I had a few nights ago - complete sound loss when using eARC and no way to get it back, but all fine the next day. On the night when I was having trouble, I noticed that resolution on YoutubeTV (set to auto) was only 480p instead of a max of 720p on ESPN. It was a very stormy night and I ascribe the low resolution to some storm-related bandwidth issues. My point is that at least for that night, the eARC sound issues seemed to correlate with the lower video resolution, which was presumablycaused by lower than usual data transfer rates. Could these lower data rates impact eARC audio signal? Way out of my depth here, but just wondering if bandwidth might be an issue for eARC. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

My sound disappears sometimes when I change the channel on my set-top box.  It stays off thereafter, whichever channel I select…  ...unless…  ...I go back to the original channel (when the sound worked) - and it comes back.  It is usually OK thereafter when I channel hop some more.  Obviously this isn’t a fix, but it may minimize the ‘faff’ for some folks.  It’s an LG 8k TV

Similar here with LG CX but more when switching from another device like apple tv 4k or xbox back to live tv, (no sound), if I switch to analogue channel and back to digital live tv channel it brings the sound back.

So many different audio issues, and Sonos don’t seem to want to respond to this thread lately to give us some hope that they are looking into it, unreal after spending so much money on the ARC and a Sub.

I’m also getting the same issue intermittently, I’ve switched cables, plugged in numerous times, and still get the same problem. 

Samehere. I unpluged everything and stil geting the samething. 

Badge

Hi

I see all these threads about audio dropping but most seem to be short sound drops, in my case I have complete audio dropping and not coming back.

I have the LG CX and I lose sound all together when changing between sources, this can be simply exiting the Netflix app back to live TV or turning on my xbox and not having an audio outputting, all very random when it occurs.

Various things can bring back the audio, simple on/off off tv, or switching back and forth between sources.

So if anyone else has the same issue, I would love to hear, because I worry that I’m alone with this and it may be a hardware issue.

I’m getting a bit fed up with this issue, had the ARC nearly 3 months and just want to be sure its something that others experience, I don't mind waiting for a fix if that’s the case.

Why not just sell and go with different if you do hate the sound bar. At least you have one. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi

Same is but with Samsung Q80T. Discouraged that issue has been kicking around for months with no resolution. 

I wish I had found this thread before purchasing a new Samsung 55Q70T and an arc on Saturday as I am having same issues on day 3 and today

i thought a fix on here was replace the HDMI with an optical but my arc does not have an optical connector so I don’t understand why that was presented as a solution.

i am not interested in running through a whole series of diagnostics and unplugging and replugging so of an optical cable does not solve the issue and Sonos can’t provide a solution it is going back and I’ll get a Samsung bar with sub instead 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I just saw an update and updated my Samsung TV to version 1402.

Is this the same as 1402.1?

I having the same problem with 1402.1. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

It is annoying that this issue is still present after so many months, I just had to go back and forth between sources my LG CX to get my xbox to play sound from the sonos arc, its like eARC has some issue establishing an audio connection.

eARC needs some serious tweaking TV manufactures end and Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Talvish 

All I can really recommend is that you make sure all devices are up-to-date and have all been rebooted (unplug from power - standby won’t help). Check your HDMI connections too - maybe reverse the cables so each plug is plugging into a different device/socket.

With luck, it will be much like the Apple TV and be fixed in an update. Are all other sources playing OK?

Hi @hi-tone 

Glad to hear you’re now able to listen issue-free! Thanks for sharing what fixed it for you!

Badge

@Kyle A thanks for pulling the responses to various people together in one post.

Glad to hear Sonos are working on it, which is pretty much what was mentioned in my call to the help line, when I was told in the meantime to keep rebooting my TV - they did specifically mention that it was an issue with the TV manufacturer (Samsung) who may be slow to respond.

Reading these posts over the last couple of months it sounds the other way round, ie it seems to be an issue with quite a few TV manufacturer's, based on that the Arc seems to be the common denominator and would say that is the area the focus needs to be on - if I had read these posts before my purchase it would have definitely put me off this purchase.